Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Fixed Wireless Access Broadband product

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭cowboy1981

Skillie wrote: »
    sue my architect?? are you joking? i bought the site and built on it the geographical location of the house and whether or not broadband is freely available on it is no concern to an architect or builder. this wasn't a housing estate development. If i had no BB no phone and no mobile coverage there i'd still have built there. I knew in advance it would be a struggle and if i have to do without i will. In these times the house is worth a lot less than it was BB wouldn't sell it any easier and i couldn't give a monkies what its worth i didn't build it to sell it i built it to live in it.
    I accept that you want to live in the house. My point about the value being lower was if you need to build a case for suing the architect or surveyor. The difference in value between what it is worth without services and what it would have been worth with services would be important in taking such a case. I would expect a good architect/surveyor to advise on suitability of a site for planning permission, and provision of all services before a sod is turned. They should recommend applying for or obtaining basic services ESB & phone line before the main building work starts, perhaps while you are waiting for planning permission. Ordinary householders can't be expected to know all this stuff - that's what architects/surveyors are hired for. Architects normally carry insurance against these kind of claims. However, if you knowingly built on the site fully understanding that you might have difficulty with services, then you probably don't have a case.

One other suggestion - if you are able to get wireless phone service from eircom, then you must be within reach of an eircom mast? Since Meteor is eircom's mobile service, there is a good possibility that there is already Meteor service on the same mast. You might be able to get GPRS/EDGE service of this which certainly isn't Broadband, but might give you better than dial-up peformance, and you could get an "near-always-on" data service for email etc. Since GPRS/EDGE uses lower frequency bands than 3G, it can penetrate obstacles a bit better. You may even be able to take advantage of the new Meteor USB dongles, which although designed for 3G, probably fall back to GPRS/EDGE. (I never thought I would see myself suggesting this kind of solution, but your situation is pretty desperate!)

Apart from that, I think you are going to have to make do with Satellite, assuming your trees aren't so high as to block that also!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

thanks i mention in my initial post that i can get edge from O2 but think its painfully slow so may just go without. my point is if i can get wireless phone from Eircom surely they can provide FWA BB as well?

I have no intention of suing anyone, the site was bought and ready to build on knowingly of any minor limitations by me before an engineer and architect were engaged so i will not be pointing any fingers their way. i got a well for water, biocycle treatment for waste, geothermal for heating, esb was minor investment but no prob, phone installed and working, having to deal with edge internet instead of BB was not going to turn me against this site so there will be no suing of any kind.

If i have to get satellite i will just looking for the best solution from a cost and performance standpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

thanks i mention in my initial post that i can get edge from O2 but think its painfully slow so may just go without. my point is if i can get wireless phone from Eircom surely they can provide FWA BB as well?

Have you ever checked, what speed Eircom FWA is ? It is 512kbit/64kbit with a contention of 48:1, costs 605 EUR+vat to install and 45 eur+vat/month.

O2 Edge will perform better than Eircom FWA at any given time.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I have no intention of suing anyone, the site was bought and ready to build on knowingly of any minor limitations by me before an engineer and architect were engaged so i will not be pointing any fingers their way. i got a well for water, biocycle treatment for waste, geothermal for heating, esb was minor investment but no prob, phone installed and working, having to deal with edge internet instead of BB was not going to turn me against this site so there will be no suing of any kind.

If i have to get satellite i will just looking for the best solution from a cost and performance standpoint.

What distance is your nearest midsize town?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

lots of people use wifi gear to relay a dsl signal up to 10km .

how far away is the nearest exchange by road Skillie?

how far away is the nearest eircom pole to your house ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

Marlow wrote: »
    Have you ever checked, what speed Eircom FWA is ? It is 512kbit/64kbit with a contention of 48:1, costs 605 EUR+vat to install and 45 eur+vat/month.

O2 Edge will perform better than Eircom FWA at any given time.
    Haven't checked as i don't know where to go about this and what is involved which is why i'm asking about it here. if edge is faster than FWA then i guess i don't want it!!
    What distance is your nearest midsize town?

2 miles as the crow flies, its just we're in an isolated spot due to the forestry.
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    lots of people use wifi gear to relay a dsl signal up to 10km .

how far away is the nearest exchange by road Skillie?

how far away is the nearest eircom pole to your house ?

don't know where the nearest exchange is i'm afraid but if we're getting wireless phone already it can't be too far.

eircoms nearest pole is about a mile away i think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

eircom standard install includes costs 'up to' €7000 and running a mile of poles would cost more than that .

as you are still only 2 miles out you should look at relaying wifi somehow, get in contact with wi-pipe.com who sell all that sort of outdoor gear ....once you work out all the line of sight issues and how many hops are required .

cost no more than eircom fwa install I should think....even if available .

Advertisement