Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ads by google

Options
  • 28-06-2007 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭

on the eve-online forum google ads are advertising isk selling websites (in game currency) this is against game rules and we generally dont like it. its in the eve forum charter that we cant advertise isk selling/macroing.

could this be fixed please.
    3.No discussion of macro programs / isk selling sites
    - We all hate them guys so lets not endorse or discuss them
    4.If CCP think its illegal for their forums the same will carry over to here.
    - Obviously selling of characters for money (other than isk) or other such activities are not allowed.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

On the corner of the adverts there is an "ads by Google" logo. Click on it, and it allows to to make reports to Google people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

what were the site urls.

Post them here and Vexorg/Regi and he can block them from showing on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Lol, there one over this thread now.

I take it this is like WoW gold selling? I think you should report them to google as I dont think google will want to advertise them. Also if you list them here I will see what can be done about them though given that I'm packing for Vegas right now (or at least should be) I dunno when I will get a chance to look at it.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

DeVore wrote:
    I take it this is like WoW gold selling?

Pretty much the same but on a much smaller scale. CCP the guys who run the game are very much against it and ban people for doing it but I'm not sure if it's actually wrong legally to advertise it on something like Google Ads which is not within their control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

CCP actually allow gold selling but you have to use their system.

If you complain to google they will either ban the adverts or stop them appearing in related areas.

click ads by google then click feedback then report violation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

oh i did report them myself. but i know from similar things happening on another website that the site owners have more weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

just so you know there is nothing illegal about selling either isk or wow gold..........the companies may not like it and it is against their in-game policies(for wow anyway) but they can do nothing about the websites that are providing the service

as this is the case it is unlikely google will stop a perfectly legit advertisement( i dont know how google ads works)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

PeakOutput wrote:
    just so you know there is nothing illegal about selling either isk or wow gold..........the companies may not like it and it is against their in-game policies(for wow anyway) but they can do nothing about the websites that are providing the service

as this is the case it is unlikely google will stop a perfectly legit advertisement( i dont know how google ads works)

I think google would be more concerned that something they are advertising can get players banned from a game, I mean without the ads maybe people wouldn't be tempted to buy the isk/gold and therefore not be at risk of being banned.

Since the majority of both Eve and WoW communities are against isk selling/buying (there are a small number that use it to cheat their way to better stuff) as its not just the game developers I would think google would remove them from their ads, and hopefully boards will too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Just block the ads. I never see advertisments on the net. At times I see the word 'Advertisment' but there are no advertisments becasue they're blocked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Aren't some games taking up the stance that they can't beat it so they will join it. IE, sstting up their own site to sell gaming currency and they take a percentage from each transaction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Chatmaster wrote:
    Just block the ads. I never see advertisments on the net. At times I see the word 'Advertisment' but there are no advertisments becasue they're blocked.
    And don't the Admins just love you for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Z

R0ot wrote:
    I think google would be more concerned that something they are advertising can get players banned from a game

lol, Google dont care who gets banned from what game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

PeakOutput wrote:
    just so you know there is nothing illegal about selling either isk or wow gold..........the companies may not like it and it is against their in-game policies(for wow anyway) but they can do nothing about the websites that are providing the service.

i think you will find you are wrong,

These companies are not selling a product, they are selling something that does not belong to them.

Check the T's & C's. you will find anything relating to the MMO belongs to the producer. regardless of how much gold said chinese farmer has, its not his to sell.

Blizzard (wow) are suing a few reputable gold companies as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Another link seems to be up all the time recently,

http://www.mogs.com/eve-online-c-717.html

promoting isk selling again

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

And don't the Admins just love you for it.

I don't know. I actually think the Firefox blocks my ads. I think on IE7 I can see Google ads. But Google Ads are fine I think.

And I click some the odd time. :rolleyes: The Admins would love me for that. :D

Advertisement