Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children's first words?

Options
  • 28-06-2007 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Am just curious about this because I've heard it can throw up some unusual early words.

Seosaph followed the normal progression of dada, baba, mama, dede etc and then today out of the blue came out with madra. We talk a lot about my parents dogs with him so he hears the word a lot but it's a weird one.

Anyone else got unusual words their kids came out with?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

Mine were in order...

cheese
    pussy (we had cats)
    dada
    mama

I do love food and cats :).

My housemates first word was **** :eek: his family maintain to this day they never said it round him.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Mine was dog apparently so, like father like son :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

My daughters first word was 'keys' at about 10 months of age. I can't remember what was next but man can she talk now - she talks non stop with complex sentences. She may be only 3 but she's definitely a little woman - yap, yap, yap. She spent 20 mins on the phone to my mother the other day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

A kid I know has a slightly posh English father, and her first word (with appropriate genteel raising of finger) was "Texi!" She still takes taxis everywhere, 33 years later!

Whatever you do, write that first word and first sentence down. You think you won't forget them, but you will, and you'll never get them back.

Can't remember my son's, but I do remember him and my father, who had been *fierce* as a father but was an adoring grandfather, parading up and down the cottage where he lived, clashing finger-cymbals and singing "Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna" when he was two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Deadevil129

My first word was Dada, very typical.

My second was Marmite, and I still haven't lived it down. I don't even like the stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

My nephew's first word was Batman. My sis thought he was saying mama until she realised he only said it between 1.15pm and 1.30 everyday. I'm pretty sure my daughter went from mama, data etc to book , dog , bus etc. and "I do it" was a very much used phrase for a while. My son's first word was "tickle tickle" which was kinda cute. He pretty much went from that to whole sentences (not boasting I promise :p ).. he parroted every sentence his big sister said without any understanding of what he was saying. He has quite the vocabulary now at 2 1/2 and he never ever stops using it :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

littlebug wrote:
    My nephew's first word was Batman. My sis thought he was saying mama until she realised he only said it between 1.15pm and 1.30 everyday. I'm pretty sure my daughter went from mama, data etc to book , dog , bus etc. and "I do it" was a very much used phrase for a while. My son's first word was "tickle tickle" which was kinda cute. He pretty much went from that to whole sentences (not boasting I promise :p ).. he parroted every sentence his big sister said without any understanding of what he was saying. He has quite the vocabulary now at 2 1/2 and he never ever stops using it :eek:

My daughter's first words were "tickle tickle tickle" (sounds like "ticke ticke ticke") also, and she tickles your feet at the same time. She's now 16 months and has a handful more words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Mine was hiya.....then on to parroting others, my mam used to read the same 2 or 3 books to me over and over, my aunt wa amazed when she thought I could read at about 2! I just knew the books off by heart! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

Both my wife and I started talking in phrases when we
    needed something with no baby talk that our folks can remember.
    Her first request was for a banana sandwich
    and mine was for a cup of tea.

Our eldest son's first word was 'broccolli'...
    We do tend to live in the kitchen :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My eldest son was playing in the bath when the soap popped out from his fist.

"Eureka", he said. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Julietta

This is such a lovely thread, my son is only 17 weeks so have a bit to go yet before his first utterance, am parenting alone so it better be Mama or there'll be trouble :)

He'll be going to a creche, am afraid I'll miss his first word but there's nothing can be done about it, I'll just tell the creche not to tell me if he says something.

Did you all see your children's first steps?

Juliet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Julietta wrote:
    This is such a lovely thread, my son is only 17 weeks so have a bit to go yet before his first utterance, am parenting alone so it better be Mama or there'll be trouble :)

He'll be going to a creche, am afraid I'll miss his first word but there's nothing can be done about it, I'll just tell the creche not to tell me if he says something.

Did you all see your children's first steps?

Juliet

COngratulations!!

My sons first word was about 6 months - the usual mama dada etc

Yep i saw his first step. He was 11 months. You wont miss much though cos walking comes in dribs and drabs i find, first holding their hands, then alone along the furniture, then you make him walk to you (with support and someone ready to catch them of course!) so you wont miss that!!

I Didnt put him into creche til he was one so was lucky but due my 2nd son in october and he'll be put in at 5 months unfortunately. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

dada was first word, followed by mama and now she says 'All gone' when she has finished eating something. If we mention the words doggy or horse she attempts to make their respective sounds. And of course she says 'oh oh' when she drops/throws things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Rhiannon is almost 17 months old now and has a nice collection of words...

She says... Mama, Dada, bop (her bottle), all gone, ya (yes), no (this word is probably her favourite), car, keys, shoes, woof, cat, up, Ganna (granny) Gadda (grandad), ky (sky)... I know some of them aren't properly pronounced words but to her little brain they are words that mean fairly specific things.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Sometimes as parents we forget that not everyone can understand what our kids are saying. We learn their language rather than the other way around. I find myself having to translate for my kids in certain situations.

I sometimes find myself saying the strangest things to my work colleagues. Exaggerated "Ta-Ta" for thank you. "Hiiiiiyaaaaa" for Hello. Embarrassing but funny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

My daughter is 7 months old and says DaDa very clearly. Only thing is that she says it in relation to everything;

She sees me: DaDa
    She sees her bottle: DaDa
    She is getting her nappy changed: DaDa
    She gets her Tigger teddy: DaDa

and so on...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi,

The first word believe it or not ' gone ' when we told her her dinner was all gone.

Now it's

Dada Tedted etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

[/QUOTE]
    I sometimes find myself saying the strangest things to my work colleagues. Exaggerated "Ta-Ta" for thank you. "Hiiiiiyaaaaa" for Hello. Embarrassing but funny too.[/QUOTE]

I actually congratulated a male colleague one day after he burped!!! My little lad was only 20 weeks or so at the time & wind was a big issue with him.

His first word was buddabow - it means bus (Busses go by our front door!) followed closely by bick for broken and fik for fix. Buddabow is a far nicer word than bus imho

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭coralcathy

lovely thread

My sons first sentence was "I love Daddy".................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

My first sons first words were "Aw Gawd" I didn't realise until he said it that I said it all the time. Then my second son came along and his first word was "Dinner"!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

Interesting article about how the first noises that babies make are the same regardless of the language of their parents. DaDa, MaMa, GaGa

http://www.utexas.edu/features/archive/2005/babble.html

When my kids started with DaDa I took it they weren't addressing me just making sounds. My wife was pretty pissed off all the same.

Advertisement