Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUI Galway post-grad degree

Options
  • 28-06-2007 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

I'm planning on doing a BA in arts with extracurricular plays and then doing a postgraduate degree at NUI Galway in theater.
    I was in a couple of plays before (kids in space(dont ask) and a midsummer's nights dream)

I'm hoping to become a theatrical actor and was wondering if doing a postgrad is a wise thing to do.

Any help much appreciated.

Cian

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

singloud wrote:
    I'm hoping to become a theatrical actor and was wondering if doing a postgrad is a wise thing to do.
    Hi Cian!
    Not sure what you hope to accomplish with a grad degree beyond your 4 year arts degree. More acting prep that you did not receive during your "extracurricular" portion of the first degree? Other than that, a grad degree, per se, does not help you during auditions, only grand acting does to land parts.

Something else you might want to consider during your extracurricular... Try to find and build a good working relationship with an agent. Galway is a bit slim, but Dub is a better, and London greatly more so. Also network with other actors and get invited to their cast parties. Network, network, network!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

Not sure what you hope to accomplish with a grad degree beyond your 4 year arts degree. More acting prep that you did not receive during your "extracurricular" portion of the first degree?

Sorry mate,thanks for the help but I don't get what you mean here.
    Do you mean a postgrad will just give me a bit of extra?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

singloud wrote:
    Sorry mate,thanks for the help but I don't get what you mean here.
    Do you mean a postgrad will just give me a bit of extra?
    I doubt that just having an advanced degree, in and of itself, will make a difference when auditioning for a part.

You misunderstand me.

By "a bit extra" I meant that a year doing drama as a subject would mean I'd be studying it, meaning I'd be doing a year of being taught how to act. It'd build on what I'd done with acting before but in an academic setting would help me iron out the niggles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I'd look at a more specific acting course if that's what you want to do, Trinity, DIT and Bull Alley in Dublin all have specific performing arts courses. And there's also the Gaiety school of acting. These courses are much more pratical and also set up to expose students to agents/casting directors etc through showcases and relationships with theatres.

I very very much doubt that studying drama as part of an arts course is the correct "training" for an aspiring actor.

• Advertisement

Yeah thanks for the help. My problem is it's too late for me to apply to one of those. I thought of applying to the Trinity course but it's too late.

As pathetic as it sounds, it's down to my parents. There's no way they'd let me spend a year without going to university.

The reason I'm doing an arts course is as a kind of fall back.

Advertisement