Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problems installing Windows XP Pro

• 28-06-2007 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I have a laptop that belongs to a friend and it is in very bad condition due to Viruses, Malware etc.

He bought Windows XP Pro Volume licence (its for work) which is a bootable CD.

I have placed the CD in the drive, waited for the computer to start and pressed escape to bring me to the menu where I can select to boot from "optical drive" , I selected optical drive (which I hope was the right selection) a few seconds later I am presented with the screen that he usually gets asking which partition to boot from.

I have tried everything but I can not get the laptop to boot from the CD!

Is there anything else that I could try?

By the way, if it helps, it's a Sony Vaio

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Have you tried setting the CD drive as the default boot device in the BIOS, rather than hitting Delete? Why would he usually be asked what partition he wants to boot from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't a clue why he is usually asked that to be honest.... but he is... I don't know what he was doing with it.

I've tried that in the BIOS but I just can't find the option?

I've just set the default boot to optical drive and after a long pause I am back to the same screen asking me to "select the operating system to start"

There is a partition when you look in my computer... like two HD's so what if I was to delete the secondary one? If this would be any use how do I do it?

Can anyone help at all? this is pretty urgent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭jtiernan

Definetly do not delete that other partition as it may be a recovery partition. The dvd may be damaged that's seems why it is not booting especially when you have it selected in the BIOS. What modal is the laptop. Give the manufacturer tech line a call and they may to instruct you on how to boot the recovery partition then you could troubleshoot the dvd drive then ;)

• Advertisement

Hi,

The disk will boot on other computers though.
    pcg-7a1m is the model no.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,528 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Dvd drive or the cd could be damaged, laptop optical drives can be a little petulant when trying to boot from them.

One way around it, that sometimes works is to power off the machine with the cd drive open, turn it on and close the drive, this will force the cd to spin.

Hopefully that works, remember you have to press a key to boot from the cd, if it sounds like it is Accessing the cd, tap the space bar a few times.

Nope, no luck with that... You can hear it trying to access the CD alright and the light flashes.... but just back to that OS selection screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

It's a long shot but is there an option on the boot menu to boot from a USB device? You could copy the CD's files on to a USB stick using another computer (this could take a while) and then plug it in to the Vaio. Do you have access to an external CD device you could plug in? Try blowing gently on the laser lens in the CD drawer to clean it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

try another bootable cd to see if it boots from that.

IIRC the sony's got you to make image CD's rather than giving you media

have you found the boot menu in the BIOS and what options did it give you ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement