Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best punk band ever !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Buzzcocks - Orgasm addict :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 karlrules

Yeah they are good. The clash are the best though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

No argument here, The Clash are class. :cool:

Whats your favourite song ? And anyone who posts could you say your fav song too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

Dead Kennedys- Holiday in Cambodia
    Dropkick Murphys-sunshine highway
    Bad Religion-American Jesus
    The Tossers- Nantucket girl's song.

• Advertisement

I had a look at american jesus on you tube. It's not bad but the clash wipe the floor with it.

My top 5 clash songs would be :
    (in no order)
    1. Career opportunities
    2. Safe european home
    3. Capitol radio
    4. White riot
    5. White man in hammersmith palais

Should i stay or should i go and i fought the law aren't bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

These threads just get stupid after a while. I wouldn't name any favourites cos they change all the time but at the moment it's The Oi! Scouts

But the clash aren't a band anymore and theres no chance of a comeback cause joe strummer is dead R.I.P so we can call them the best punk band ever unless a better one comes along which i seriously doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 The Devil

Stiff Little Fingers.

• Advertisement

CLash are one of my favorites, by far one of the greatest bands but you obviously already know them, no point in saying them then.

You have some excellent choices,including some of their more obscure ones. Most people only know Should I stay or should I go, London calling etc
    my top 5 clash choices in rough order

Career opportunities(why don't more people know this)
    Capital radio2
    white man in hammersmith palais.
    The prisoner
    Pressure drop

Best clash cd is a toss up between The Clash and Super Black Market Clash.

I didn't like London Calling, had it's good points.

Well thank god somebody knows what they're talking about. Yeah it stuns me that more people don't know career opportunities. Safe european home has gotta be up there dont you think ? I like your choice but correct me if im wrong but aren't capitol radio 1 and 2 the same thing ? Anyway, ill have to have a listen to the last 2 on the list as they slide out of your brain if you havn't heard em in a while.

Ok yeah, capitol radio 2 is better even though they are basically the same. One thing i've noticed with the clash in general is that they never end their songs properly. Safe european home was a complete cockup for the last minute 30 seconds or so and capitol radio the same pretty much. Career opportunities has a good ending among some others but some of the really good ones could have been great.

Why don't ye stop spewing on about some aul ****es and get into the local scene?

Of course Safe European Home is up there. I love the end of it, rudie can't fail. Indeed.

I have noticed that the end of clash songs are often cock ups. The end of capitol radio is awful. But the beginning gives me jitters.

Olp: that's like telling an artist looking at old masters is pointless as there are modern artists around.
    Styles change my son.

No its like saying: You'll have 10 times more fun at a local gig than you will sitting in your room on your own listening to The Clash and then coming on her talking about bad endings

If you don't like the best punk band ever, go away. And i don't know if you have some secret version of safe european home because i dont consider saying rudie cant fail and something about jamaca loads of times good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

OLP: Not that I'm against promoting the local scene, but this really isn't the way to do it. It really has very little to do with this topic. And there's nothing saying you can't listen to The Clash and go to local gigs too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Eoghanacht

The best Punk bands are....

Dead Kennedys
    Subhumans
    The Ruts
    Suicidal Tendencies (early years)
    Chaos UK
    Citizen Fish
    GBH
    Poison Idea
    Discharge

...**** there's just to many to mention

Ro: maaan! wrote:
    OLP: Not that I'm against promoting the local scene, but this really isn't the way to do it. It really has very little to do with this topic. And there's nothing saying you can't listen to The Clash and go to local gigs too.

Thank you. I agree

You speak true, but the fact he immediately jumped from "discussion of best punk band" to meaning "we live in the past" makes me annoyed. He probably fails to notice how many bands are influenced by the clash.

Karl: yeah to each his own but I like the end of Safe european home. I like the way Joe takes the "rough" lyrics and Mick sings the harmony with his higher voice. I think that's one of the clash's trademarks.

Eoghanacht: great choices. Especially DK and the Ruts. Not many people seem to know the Ruts,shame as Babylon's burning is a great song/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

and of course, the New York Dolls. And the Ramones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ZenforHead

The Stooges

Lets not go nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

These "the best band evar!!!!" type threads are always pretty juvenile because people all have different opinions. It's simple as that.
    And just because a few people happen to like a certain band doesn't necessarily make them the best band ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

It does make that band the best ever, in that persons opinion.
    Oh, ya. The Ramones are horrible. Truely ****e.
    The Clash are my favorite punk band, although I don't think of them as punk. Tracks like Rudie Can't Fail just don't fit for me. Genres are stupid... bye now. :p

the clash used a lot of different genres. IMHO they were at their best doing good old english punk.

AM: Not being disrespectful or anything but these threads just let people discuss who they think are the best punk bands.
    Doesn;t make them the best punk band but lets people discuss etc

Yes i meant best punk band in my opinion and just made it to let other people share their views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ZenforHead

What do you mean lets not go nuts? The stooges are punk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Rampart

best punk band ever, imo. ramones. they beat clash, cuz they basically started punk, and johnny ramone is one of the best guitarists ever!! not sayin strummer isnt, but i prefer johnny.

the germs are a great band too, check em out if you dont know em, either no god, or **** you. good stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭joenailface

i dunno man the clash are so unbelieveably great but theres like so many great punk bands out there its impossible to pick one, gotta say though im amazed at people who dont like the clash's genre blending...london calling and especially sandinista are two of the best albums of all time. but to whoever said 'going out to see bands in your local scene is 10 times more fun than listening to the clash in your room' is spot on but you know, some people just go 'theres no good punk bands out now' which is a shame cause if ya looked for some stuff theres some great punk bands out, lagwagon, zero down (not technically out) and i only named them cause they're usually easier to find than local bands ;)

Advertisement