Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best punk band ever !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

singloud wrote:
    CLash are one of my favorites, by far one of the greatest bands but you obviously already know them, no point in saying them then.

You have some excellent choices,including some of their more obscure ones. Most people only know Should I stay or should I go, London calling etc
    my top 5 clash choices in rough order

Career opportunities(why don't more people know this)
    Capital radio2
    white man in hammersmith palais.
    The prisoner
    Pressure drop

Best clash cd is a toss up between The Clash and Super Black Market Clash.

I didn't like London Calling, had it's good points.

+1 on Super Black Market Clash

F'n great album, one of my favourites.

I have to say that Police & Thieves (even though it is a cover) is my favourite song by the Clash. I love the way the guitars are playing off against each other.

karlrules: you should check out Big Audio Dynamite (later known as Big Audio Dynamite II and then Big Audio) & also Carbon/Silicon.

These are Mick Jones' post Clash bands/projects. Carbon/Silicon is relatively new and still going. Some great songs!

EDIT: also don't be so quick to put down other bands just because theyre not the clash. have you seen "The Future is Unwritten". If not, you should see it. Joe listened to anything and everything. Don't just tie yourself to one genre or one band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

joe robot wrote:
    I have to say that Police & Thieves (even though it is a cover) is my favourite song by the Clash. I love the way the guitars are playing off against each other.

Yes, you make an excellent point. I think it's one of the clashes strengths that Mick's higher vocals and guitar mix well with Joe's rougher ones.

I don't really have a favorite punk band. It all depends on my mood etc. But the Clash/DK and the Tossers usually do me day to day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 karlrules

ZenforHead wrote:
    What do you mean lets not go nuts? The stooges are punk.
    Sorry if you took that the wrong way but by lets not go nuts i meant lets not go off topic by talking about other bands. I think i stated at the start to say your fav clash songs.

karlrules wrote:
    Sorry if you took that the wrong way but by lets not go nuts i meant lets not go off topic by talking about other bands. I think i stated at the start to say your fav clash songs.

:P it says it's about the best punk band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭RadioGaGa

The clash were good but the sex pistols were amazing. Favourite Clash songs: London Burning, Clash City Rockers and Safe European Home.

• Advertisement

RadioGaGa wrote:
    The clash were good but the sex pistols were amazing. Favourite Clash songs: London Burning, Clash City Rockers and Safe European Home.

I agree the sex pistols had some absolutely fantastic songs but IMHO they only had a few. I bought Never Mind the Bollocks and was very disappointed. Bodies,holidays in the sun and God save the queen were amazing but the rest didn't really measure up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 karlrules

radio ga ga have you not heard the clash ? those songs are ok but god theres so much better. Unless you just like those for some reason ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

singloud wrote:
    I agree the sex pistols had some absolutely fantastic songs but IMHO they only had a few. I bought Never Mind the Bollocks and was very disappointed. Bodies,holidays in the sun and God save the queen were amazing but the rest didn't really measure up.

Submission is a f**kin' great song! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

considering the pistols were only set up as a piss take and were only around for six months before they split,to me makes them the best punk band ever. I dont rate the clash as a punk band, they were more of a punk/rocker billy type. oi! ain't dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Rancidmaniac13

For The Clash are the definative punk band. Favourite songs would be Career Oportunities, Police & Thieves and Koka Kola. The best thing about them is how they blend the genres and end up with something really different and amazing.

The Sex Pistols were a bit of a one-trick pony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Sir Graball

[The Sex Pistols were a bit of a one-trick pony.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree with you there. Pistols were very influential despite being manafactured to a great extent . Lydon went on to form PIL who were technically and musically far superior to many of the early wave of punk/garage bands.
    I'd have to list these as some of the better 'punk bands' of that time UK Subs, Slits, Stooges, Ruts,Dead Keneddys, Ramones and of course The Clash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 BassAce

The Pistols before they de-generated into comedy after Matlock's sacking. But as seminal recordings go, it's hard to beat The Buzzcocks Spiral Scratch. The Adverts "Crossing the Red Sea" was pretty good too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I hear the English Dogs are ****in RAPID!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fierce_diety

what about no fx,anti flag, bad religion? all great punk bands!

Seriously. How about yiz forget about all these huge names in the punk universe and realise that there're loads of good bands playing in Ireland week in week out that ya wont have to pay half an arm to see.

i.e. GO TO FLEAS N LICE ON WEDNESDAY!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

It's a seperate issue. Yes, there are loads of good gigs on in Ireland, but that has very little to do with this topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 blueandgold

i'd go for all the old politico punk stuff but especially Crass (but i love The Clash and Dead Kennedys as well)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 red marauder

Always Liked The Ruts ...punk N Reggae Mix ****ing Brill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 old_ska_head

i agree the clash are up there with the best, been lucky 2 have seen tem, also a band who deserves a mention are the RUTS they sound so good then as they still do 2 day,,, aslo a forgotten punk band irish in fact paranoid visions seen then in 82 grow up with one of the original members deki declan caffery class band

They're still playin a good bit around Dublin. Playin Hard Working Class **** heads this weekend actually. Striknien D.C. are probably my favourite Irish punk band. Only started listening to em after they went on "a break", but apparently they'll be playing again sooner rather than later :D

RAWK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Mine were/are still.....

All of the above mentioned and:

The Exploited: Punks not Dead

&

Crass.............

TJ911...

haha so a combination of "punk's not dead" and "punk is dead" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ttomasso

as for the best non-english singing group I would definately nominate german Die Aerzte. They are simply deadly.

Tomas
    -
    ...*snip*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭joenailface

whoever said anti flag should be put down, they whine more than alanis morisette, if you're gonna sing political lyrics at least have the grace to sing about you know...politics...instead of 'no one listens to me, blah blah blah' its good music but it just gets incredibly hard to listen to after a while and as for nofx, they were pretty good between 89 and 99, the decline was the most ironic song ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭klaus flouride

Discharge had some great stuff, i know the more hardened punks will moan about the fact that they were a bit more metal than punk towards the end; but they still had some classiscs.

'Never Again'- one of the best 'core songs you'll ever hear.

Stricknein D.c. are not only my fave irish punk band, they're one of my favourites of all time; Runnin Riot also have their moments but sometimes they're a bit too '10 pints and a kebab''for my liking.

I like The Clash, but are they really punk? I'm not saying you have to be punk to make great music, and as I said I like the clash- but when I think of Punk-music the clash are far from my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

ttomasso wrote: »
    as for the best non-english singing group I would definately nominate german Die Aerzte. They are simply deadly.

Oi Polloi's latest album is amazing. Defintly their best album on a musical basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 creepinshadow

karlrules wrote: »
    The best punk band ever in my opinion is the clash. No one can beat them. Here are a few of their videos live and if you listen to the normal tracks you'll see the way joe strummer changes some words and different things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daPov16MCpA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL7wzYvnKSw

i dont no about the clash, paramore rock. the clash a bit out of style

Style? Since when has punk been about style?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 creepinshadow

by style i mean in touch with the next generation along with its own, so when i say there out of style i mean, there not in touch with the generation of punks that exists in this new day and age

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

They're not out of touch. It's the children who are wrong.

Advertisement