Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best punk band ever !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

Auh badger - it's very hard not to get enveloped in the whole 'What was Punk/What wasn't punk debate' - Personally, The Clash are one of my favourite bands. It's debatable whether or not they were 'true' punks...in fact if you watch the Julian Cope film about Joe Strummer, you'd probably come down on the side of 'Not Punk'...Yea, they used the whole Punk thing as a great stage and to great effect but in hindsight they weren't what you would call 'Punk to the Core - But to me that was a good thing as lots of English bands(I'm thinking of The Exploited here), ended up sounding like bad metal bands by the time the early 1990's had come around whereas other's like The Clash evolved...only problem is, no-one evolved quite so majestically as they did...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Bob in Belfast

KIVES wrote: »
    Auh badger - it's very hard not to get enveloped in the whole 'What was Punk/What wasn't punk debate' - Personally, The Clash are one of my favourite bands. It's debatable whether or not they were 'true' punks...in fact if you watch the Julian Cope film about Joe Strummer, you'd probably come down on the side of 'Not Punk'...Yea, they used the whole Punk thing as a great stage and to great effect but in hindsight they weren't what you would call 'Punk to the Core - But to me that was a good thing as lots of English bands(I'm thinking of The Exploited here), ended up sounding like bad metal bands by the time the early 1990's had come around whereas other's like The Clash evolved...only problem is, no-one evolved quite so majestically as they did...

I totally agree with you KIVES, The Clash were the greatest Punk band ever.RIP Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

The Radiators From Space!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Jamon

Bad Religion. They're stubborn, not too good at their instruments, they've got the punk ethos.
    I also like their music, nearly all of it.

Black Flag are also great as are the Germs.

Yours,
    Jamon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 silverwing

For me...

Discharge
    Poison Idea
    Cryptic Slaughter
    Agnostic Front
    Cro-Mags
    Bad Religion
    Misfits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Husker Du.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

Conflict LP: The Ungovernable Force
    If you havnt heard it you really owe it to yourself to track this album down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

left the punk scene years ago to melt my brain with e's and dance music but i still listen to punk to unwind...heres my favourite list anyways:
    1--crass
    2-conflict
    3-subhumans/citizen fish/culture shock
    4-angelic upstarts
    5-dead kennedy's

one of my favourite 'local' punk bands were called ciunas and i think they were from lucan but not sure

well thats my 5 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    one of my favourite 'local' punk bands were called ciunas and i think they were from lucan but not sure
    Have a Ciunas album. Quality isn't great on it, but sound like they would have been deadly live.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Jamon

I just found out about the Misfits. I bought Collection 1 on vinyl. I think that hatebreeders would be my favourite so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The Devil wrote: »
    Stiff Little Fingers.

Definitely agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭SxE Punk

Not one mention for Ghetto Defendant in this thread.

Useless.

The song? We're talkin about bands here....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

I assume there's a band called that too? Must be, because I can't imagine how anyone could think the song was the best anything.

Could find no mention of em on the internets if there is one. Maybe it's some uber-coool underground band we aren't cooooool enough to know about :P

No I mean the Clash song, its brilliant.

"Best Punk Band Ever" :P
    I vote you start another thread for songs.

The OP wasn't asking for your opinions by the looks of things, as far as bands were concerned anyway. He was saying The Clash were best and wanted to know your favorite songs by that band(check out the first page, its all there).

I agree with the OP, and my favorite Clash song is Ghetto Defendant, as I stated. I dunno where your confusion is coming from.

I'm not confused. You're posting off topic. The thread's title is "the best punk band ever". I'm not sure if that can be any more self explanatory.

Oh well.

• Advertisement

karlrules wrote: »
    Whats your favourite song ? And anyone who posts could you say your fav song too.

This is about the fifth post in the thread, posted by the OP. He says this after stating, without doubt that the Clash are the best punk band ever, and after refuting any claim to the contrary. Seriously go back and read the first page, the topic is dictated by the OP, not you. So stop patronising me, and read the thread properly before trying to be clever with me.

It seemed to me, rather clearly, that the OP wanted a discussion about the best punk band ever: The Clash. Not "who's your favorite punk band ever". I know the guy isn't exactly Shakespeare, but he was eloquent enough to make his topic of choice pretty clear.

Haha, Christ. I seem to be completely wrong :)

Apologies. See you posting in the toxic waste thread. Havent read it, but GO GO GO!!!

I told a mate I'd go to the metal gig on in TBMC that night, but because I don'tdrink, and therefor have no use for ID, I'll probably get turned away, and straight over to Voodoo where all the bouncers don't give a ****e and are legends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Clash and Dead Kennedys go without saying!
    I recently found an old Anti Nowhere League album - with such classics as Streets of london and woman, now I just have to try and get my 3 year old to switch back to the official lyrics for streets of london before he goes back to creche on Monday:D

Haha. Have to say I'm not into The Clash or The Dead Kennedys much at all. Anti-Nowhere League have some ok songs, but I saw em a couple of times last year when they played here and thought they were pretty ****e, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

You need these bands when they are still immortal angry young men, not when they are on the stale "oh my god what am I going to do for a pension" circuit!

hehe, yeah. Don't worry, I didnt pay to see em :p Only really listening to Irish bands these days, with a few exceptions. Alot of those are gone, though :( Still love the DIY scene around the place and Belfast's always worth a trip up to for the gigs, especially now with the 24 hour Dublin to Belfast bus service \m/

I spam it enough, but if yiz havent heard some of this and you're bored I host a load of old and new Irish punk here:
    https://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~dregin/audio/audiofiles

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Allison91

the clash!!! hell yeah!!! woo woo!! woo woo!! woo woo!!

For me the best punk band of all time are Bad Religion. No other band comes close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 The Lilywhite

Hi guys

This is my first time to pass a comment on this forum, I have read your comments on the best punk band and I have to add my two penneth, I do agree that the Clash were a brilliant band, with Mick Jones and Joe Strummer they developed Punk and added a bit of rasta music to it and the Sex Pistols, although a bit manufactured, (imo) the opening guitar riff to "Pretty Vacant" by Steve Jones has to be one of the best opening riffs ever. I notice that you have omitted to mention, in your discussion, one of the best punk bands (imo) and certainly the best punk band to come out of this country (again imo) Stiff Little Fingers, I would love to hear your opinions please

Advertisement