Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best punk band ever !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Bluefoam wrote: »
    All this arguing is pointless... Best punk band ever is SLF. They might not be your favourite, but they are by far the best & they still put on a savage gig.

Best gigs ever!!!

If yer talkin nordys...Outcasts and Protex for me....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Brunteaphile

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭suspectdevice

Sids Not wrote: »
    Dead Kennedys....end of..
    sidney my friend we may have the answer

the clash were just a load of rubbish after thefirst album and two songs off the second. and whit e man in hammersmith palais goes as a great

slf first album was punk, after that it was pop, spawned a whole genre of rubbish

the ruts - were class. pity they burned out so early. they would have stuck the pace

Excellent........
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8lMzAvY8kI&feature=related

Floggin Molly me hole..............

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Ah, here. Now, I'm a big fan of their earlier stuff, but I wouldn't put em at the top of the heap and DEFINITELY wouldn't choose this ****e to showcase their quality tunes...

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

dregin wrote: »
    Ah, here. Now, I'm a big fan of their earlier stuff, but I wouldn't put em at the top of the heap and DEFINITELY wouldn't choose this ****e to showcase their quality tunes...

You didn't bite as hard as I thought you would! :D
    Although in all seriousness, I do think their first two albums with Al Barr were better than Do Or Die, and I say that as a huge Mike McColgan fan. But that's for a different thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Brennaldo II

I'd say The Ramones are probably the best punk band. They did basically 'invent' punk

Although my Favourite would be (and yes I know there will be haters of this comment) - Green Day. They stopped doing punk music around mid 90's but they're still awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

I'd say The Ramones are probably the best punk band. They did basically 'invent' punk

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Brennaldo II

Ok maybe 'invent punk' was a poor choice of words.. But they were one of the 1st to have a major influence on the genre

• Advertisement

ramones had an influence on pop more than punk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Operation Ivy are so good they didn't even need to make a second album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Minutemen, I'm not sure what "punk" really is... three friends who could play well but had tact and knew when to keep it short and simple, singed to an indie, traveled light and made some of the best records I own.

It looks like SST has taken down most Minutemen songs from youtube

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

except they are a pop band

and thats a mainstream propaganda mag

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

except they are a pop band

and thats a mainstream propaganda mag

Aye, I should have put ':rolleyes:' after my comment.

Just thought it was funny, especially as its a big FU to actual punk fans and bands.

nice one

AHHHH...Green Day......i remember them...... The newClash...i dont fkucing think so......:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Nic Neptune

The Clash.....and that will never change because it's been a staunch opinion of mine since I'm three years old. My Mam and Dad listened to so much of the Clash that I'd hardly be surprised if I came out of the womb singing "What's my Name?"

Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Cure, Stiff Little Fingers and the Sex Pistols are also bands I've loved since early youth. :D:D

Favourite Clash Songs:
    Complete Control
    What's My Name?
    Safe European Home
    Jail Guitar Doors

Other favourite Clash songs of mine change every now and then, depending what I'm in the mood for really, but the ones above are doubtlessly some of my favourite all-time songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Nic Neptune

And can Green Day really classify as Punk (not being bitchy but I consider them more general rock...not in the same league as the classics of the 70's and 80's. Not nearly as raw imo...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Ian Dury & The Blockheads, Clash if you don't count it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gronemeyer

Great thread. I listen to a lot of OI! Some bands that may interest folk. Didn't see of these getting a mention anywhere. Not as mainstream as a lot of the others mentioned on the thread.

Sham 69:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnOqRUBxnEM&feature=related

The Business:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXwUzPdH-pE&feature=related

Cockney Rejects
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMkzT-W0zoc&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Never been able to get into The Clash.

Toss up between Dead Kennedys and Stiff Little Fingers for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Yakult wrote: »

Just thought it was funny, especially as its a big FU to actual punk fans and bands.

Yeah but it was down to a twitter/facebook vote or something, wasn't it? Obviously a band with Green Day's popularity is a shoe in, they're massive, especially amongst the age group of RS's predominant readers. I think polls like that are stupid because there will always be that never ending 'punk' debate of what's tue punk and all that ****e. I was shocked myself when I saw that. I doubt the band even cares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Yakult wrote: »

one of my favourite punk bands the f.u.'s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 bosnian

I'd have to say The Exploited.

interesting choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Led Zeppelin The Clash

karlrules wrote: »
    The best punk band ever in my opinion is the clash. No one can beat them. Here are a few of their videos live and if you listen to the normal tracks you'll see the way joe strummer changes some words and different things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daPov16MCpA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL7wzYvnKSw

You are so right.
    But I don't really consider them punk tbh They made alot of punk but they were unbelievebly experimental like on Sandinista! and London Calling.

Best 'punk' bands are The Sex Pistols and (NO.1)The Clash

Advertisement