Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campus Accomadation Disaster

Options
  • 28-06-2007 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

http://www.ucd.ie/residences/allocation.html
    www.ucd.ie wrote:
    Allocation of Places 2007 - 2008
    STUDENTS
    Places
    Total Undergraduate International allocation:
    Bord na Gaeilge (8 First Year, 8 others):
    Disability:
    New Era First Years:
    Sports Scholarships:
    President’s Scholarships:
    Mature Students:
    First Years CAO Undergraduates:
    Eligible under contribution to UCD life/Medical criteria:*
    Third (final) and Fourth (final) years:
    Fifth and Sixth Years:
    Postgraduates:

This is a disgrace, final year students bar meds, vets + architects are being treated like poo.

Would make far more sense to lump the 5th/6th year students in with the postgrads imo, and then there's be 312 places for 3rd/4th years which still wouldn't be enough but it'd be a whole lot better...

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I just noticed 'contribution to UCD life' - are there open metrics for how this is decided?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Yeah its pretty bad alright. Also Roebuck Castle isn't being used anymore and thats 83 places gone. I think the fact there are no 2nd year places considering for many degrees 2nd and Final year are weighted equally is kind of cack but I do understand the importance of first years having priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Red Alert wrote:
    I just noticed 'contribution to UCD life' - are there open metrics for how this is decided?
    I rang up about that the other week and you pretty much have to be an auditor or sabbat or someone the college just couldn't do with out and the amount of people who actually get it is very little as loads get it with the medical criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'd say that's RAs, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Red Alert wrote:

lol
    Not likely.
    At least some of them are the 'hack' places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

1) This allocation table was posted already (by me) in a different thread. Where's the news there? That's been available online for months - at least since March. Is it really worth starting a new thread about?

2) No, 4th and 5th years shouldn't be "lumped" in with Postgrads. There are almost 740 places in Glenomena, which was built as postgraduate housing in the first place. Already spaces within that 740 have been allocated to 3rd and 4th final and 4th, 5th and 6th Med, Vet, Architecture etc. students. You honestly want to reduce postgraduate places down to 398 (keeping in mind that this also includes Blackrock Halls (which does have a large number of internationals) and Proby (accommodation for 112, which doesn't even touch the demand posed by Smurfit, E&D etc.) and effectively give the accommodation built for postgraduates, the majority of whom are not UCD returning students, to accommodate 3rd and 4th final years? Why not expand things so the spaces you want to take from postgrads go to 2nd and 3rd non-finals? Why should they be the only ones with no allocation?

All complete nonsense, imho. I know exactly how difficult it is to sort out accommodation for a small number of students for the summer, with no restrictions. I'm getting an idea of how tough it is to house people for the year. And you want to make things worse? I'll hold my breath and see if anything happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭recyclebin

by the way where are the deposits that we havn't got back yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

They told us we'd get them back in July. It's not July yet, is it?

What is hapenning to Roebuck Castle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Red Alert wrote:
    What is hapenning to Roebuck Castle?

Probably not a whole lot. I'm guessing it'll be demolished along with everything else that isn't listed out in Roebuck.
    Blush_01 wrote:
    This allocation table was posted already (by me) in a different thread. Where's the news there? That's been available online for months - at least since March. Is it really worth starting a new thread about?

Tbh I didn't see another post with the info so "my bad" on that, but I reckon as many students as possible need to see this as it might affect where they'll be living next year a great deal.

As for the postgrad/5th/6th year students comment was just a thought. There is a shocking discrepancy between the amount of Arch/Vet/Med students who'll get campus in final year compared to every other undergrad course + I prob underestimated the amount of postgrads who'd want to live on-campus (I completely forgot about Blackrock etc)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

how does one become an RA...some kind of application form?

and yes, i am aware of the social suicide that would result

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Red Alert wrote:
    /Wanders off to blow Brady

What's to become of Roebuck? I can't believe they're demolishing accomodation when so many people need it. Fact is, in many british universities for years the accomodation was more or less available for a price to everyone who needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Red Alert wrote:
    What's to become of Roebuck? I can't believe they're demolishing accomodation when so many people need it.

Well I think it was the intention for new Roebuck to replace it, + I think the site will be part of the new School of Law when that gets built.

From what Scraggs told me, the Castle is to become space for Admin.

Recyclebin, where were you living? The story with deposits is, as far as I can gather - deposits have to be processed when the accounts are done (and afaik they're finalising the accounts at the moment). They're then sent for assessment, passed and sent to Admin where the cheques are issued, sent back to the accommodation where you stayed and then finally posted out to you. Considering the volume of students staying on campus, Admin have to issue thousands of cheques. As you might imagine, this will take time. If you haven't heard anything by August, then you might like to call and see what the hold-up is. If you left your room in an absolute state, chances are you won't get anything back. From what I've heard anyway.

how does one become an RA...some kind of application form?

and yes, i am aware of the social suicide that would result

Applications for RA closed in April - the 20th, iirc. To apply next year, when they publicise the job again, you need to send in a CV and cover letter, I think you might need to include a passport photo too, and make sure you're early for the interview. People were turned away for being a minute late this year.

The_Minister - the Vice-President for Students might be a better bet. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

dajaffa wrote:
    I prob underestimated the amount of postgrads who'd want to live on-campus (I completely forgot about Blackrock etc)
    A lot of postgrads are foreign students and many of them will arrive not knowing ireland or dublin, therefore i would say a fair amount would like to live on campus as its easier to sort out before they arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

/Wanders off to blow Brady
    :eek: :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

dajaffa wrote:
    I prob underestimated the amount of postgrads who'd want to live on-campus (I completely forgot about Blackrock etc)
    I don't think you did. Last year weren't there reports that they couldn't fill the places in Glen with just postgrads? I think it makes sense to stick 4th and 5th meds in with them because they're older and wiser, and they've as much work to do too. Then theres the whole thing that they don't finish til late June
    Postgrads also get a lot of preferentil treatment when looking for a house due to the fact they're not considered students anymore and they won't go off on one and wreck the house

If there were reports that they couldn't fill Glen with just postgrads, I'd imagine they were vastly exaggerated. I know people (postgrads) who missed out on Glen (and Proby) because the limit on final years in Glen wasn't in place, as it is this year, and it filled with final year students before many PG students even got accepted to their courses. Many PhD acceptances aren't issued until August, and some masters courses were much the same. I got my acceptance to the MA at the beginning/middle of August, iirc.

Rumour has it that this year was the most disrupted in Glen due to the high volume of final years too. But as I say, that's a rumour. Take it with as many pinches of salt as you like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement