Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blue Dragon out 24th of August in Europe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Was gonna post this earlier, but didn't know if anyone but you would be interested Retro. Probably better off PMing each other :p.

Can't wait for this game, I'm going to be totally spoiled for choice when I get back to Ireland.

One thing I'm unsure of, and I remember reading about it somewhere, although it may have been in reference to Lost Odessy or something else. Can you play the game in Japanese with subtitles, or is it Dubs or nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Somebody on eurogamer comments, not the most official statement then, said that the american version will have both English and japanese tracks but the european version won't since they are going to have 5 language tracks on the disc for europe. Still it is a MS studio game so the chances are that it will be region free.

Interesting, hopefully I don't have to put up with dubs (assuming they're bad). I'm not home 'till the end of September anyway so I will order whichever one is appropriate slightly before my return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Finally. Nice that we don't have to wait too long for this either. Only 2 months :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I got the Chinese version that has the English subtitles a few weeks back.. Its a great game. well worth the wait!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Can't wait for this, along with Eternal Sonata.
    That Chinese version sounds interesting, but I think Ill wait and support the Euro release.

By the way, is that the same day as BioShock? Thats gonna be an expensive and fresh air free weekend then...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

By the way, is that the same day as BioShock? Thats gonna be an expensive and fresh air free weekend then...

Yes it is. I'll be away that weekend and probably have spent all my money by the time I get back :(

Stokolan wrote:
    I got the Chinese version that has the English subtitles a few weeks back.. Its a great game. well worth the wait!

That's the one, I knew I had read about it's subtitled version somewhere. I hope they keep the subs available for the EU release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

sweet, i'll deffo be getting this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

That Chinese version sounds interesting, but I think Ill wait and support the Euro release.

Better say this before anyone goes and trys to buy it. You need an Asian/Japanese 360 to play the Chinese version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Will definitely be getting this, but maybe not on launch because it's also the rumoured release for Bioshock (its also my 20th birthday!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Finally the good RPGs are on the way:D

*Starts saving now for Bioshock special edition and Blue dragon*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Why, oh why, do they insist of releasing big games on the same day. This and Bioshock. I mean, today was crazy also.

The Darkness
    Call of Juaraz
    Tenchu
    Harry Potter
    Overlord
    Sypleed

I want all of them!

Tenchu is muck, so you're safe there.

Haven't the games companys heard of the summer lull!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm looking forward to this, but i'm not 100% sure about the art style. I'm getting a bit sick of the large headed, anime style rpg's. I just prefer the art style in, say, FFXII (although not so much the play style). I have heard great things about it though. Wouldnt mind a good RPG...its been a while (damn Rogue Galaxy dying on me:mad:)

Maybe Lost Odessey will be more to my liking.

I really hate it when people just completely dismiss a game due to the art style or the kiddie image. Go play Chrono Trigger and then get excited since this game is from basically the same developers. The same artist worked on Dragon Quest VIII as well and if you have played both games you will know which game was the superior between FFXII and DQVIII.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Retr0gamer,

Would you recommend DQVIII so? It's only €15.49 on Play.com at the moment. In two minds on whether to buy or not. I have a backlog of other games to play but heard good things about Dragon Quest VIII.

Back on topic, I'm really looking forward to Blue Dragon, that and Bioshock are getting bought on release.

Retr0gamer,

Would you recommend DQVIII so? It's only €15.49 on Play.com at the moment. In two minds on whether to buy or not. I have a backlog of other games to play but heard good things about Dragon Quest VIII.

Back on topic, I'm really looking forward to Blue Dragon, that and Bioshock are getting bought on release.

Yes I would, wholeheartily. It's the finest RPG since FFX. However it might take a while to get into, the story is quite generic but the characters are fantastic and the gameplay is great, although again it takes a while before it gets really interesting.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Yes I would, wholeheartily. It's the finest RPG since FFX. However it might take a while to get into, the story is quite generic but the characters are fantastic and the gameplay is great, although again it takes a while before it gets really interesting.
    Maybe that's why I didnt like it. I got really bored after I had gotten all the party members and just felt no motivation to play the game. Might give it a bash on the PS3 again though. At least the HDD should cut the loading times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Retr0gamer wrote:

Thanks for that. Searched through others comments on Boards about it, including some of yours, and reckon It's definitely worth a go.

Now, I just have to find the time! :D

Maybe that's why I didnt like it. I got really bored after I had gotten all the party members and just felt no motivation to play the game. Might give it a bash on the PS3 again though. At least the HDD should cut the loading times.

You've hardly scratched the surface of the game. It gets so much better later on. It's also a truly enormous game. The first continent is only a small part of the game and even then there are only a handful of places you can visit at the start. BTW, don't pass up the monster arena sub missions, they add a great pokemon type collecting to the game and the rewards are well worth the effort.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I would never dismiss a game because of the art style. I loved Chrono Trigger, i loved most of the Final Fantasy games, Suikoden, Rogue Galaxy, Star Ocean, Shadow Hearts etc...I will still definatly play it. All i was saying was that i prefer the more realistic styles of, for example, FFXII. I didnt like the game (FFXII), but i prefered the style it was done in.

I couldnt get into Dragons Quest VIII though, as i had just cleared Suikoden V, and i was all rpg'd out at the time....plus i found the amount of random battles really frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I have this one pre-ordered a while now. Really looking forward to it although after seeing the latest trailer for Eternal Sonata....................it'll be a close call for GOTY me thinks.

Advertisement