Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI Recruitment (Archived)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭MartinC2006

No the medical isn't that hard.

I'm the same as yourself training lots so It shoudn't be a problem. I was flagged on my blood pressure as it was quite high, thats nothing to do with my fitness. All be it my blood pressure is on the high side of normal it may mean it'll be higher in later years.
    Bad genes :D

A few posts up I gave a description of the medical.

Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

read them thanks

so when do you think you be starting then

Starting? I wish!

Going on the basis I passed everything else in the medical and the Occ Doctor accepts my Doctors findings then I'm in the merit pool along with everyone else.

Martin.

WELL

i hope to be in that pool :D too i hoping i know by end of jan, it just seen that i well behind everyone else in here:(

mother always did say i was a bit slow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭uncleneilly

hi everyone,just found this message board the other day,i done my medical on mon(17/12)was told would have to wait two weeks(maybe more because of holidays)on reply,does anyone know if they are still trying to have an intake in jan as the letter says,think this all sounds a bit soon although jim(a few pages back)has already confirmation to start in jan,anyone else heard yet?:confused:

hi all

so HELP ME PLEASE

I just got vetting forms yesterday and it saids i got 14 days to return the so i posting them today but there the mad thing, it says it for jan intake :eek::D:confused::eek::D:D i from campain 13 and was sure that at this stage i just had to wait till march or something before i bogone to worry again,

also i have 10 pentily points for speeding will that count much agaist me much:confused:

if some can please explain what is going on i be very thankfully

shane

If I recall my vetting forms said the first intake would be in Jan so it must be generic.

At this stage I would say it's optimistic you'd make the Jan intake which I think was to top up campaign 12. Those who scored very highly and went through the process (like Jim?) at the earliest stages will start In Jan I think.

In reference to the points, I don't know how much weight they put on these. It does mention fixed penalties will be taken into account of you show a blatent disregard for the law. If thats all you have I don't think they'd bin you on that alone.

Martin.

thanks martin

i was bit confused there wondering what the hell so how long do u think till the meds be sent out

For me it was 3 weeks, 4 for my partner.

I don't know if they wait until you have sent the vetting forms though.

They could be totally unrelated.

Martin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

For me it was 3 weeks, 4 for my partner.

I don't know if they wait until you have sent the vetting forms though.

They could be totally unrelated.

Martin.

Martin,

Am I reading that wrong, or are you saying that you got your medical date before before you received the vetting forms?

I got the vetting forms 2-3 weeks before the date for my medical came through. I live in Co. Down, so I don't know if that's just because I'm getting vetted by the PSNI directly and not through the Gardai.

No we both got our vetting forms first.
    That being said I don't know if theres any connection as to when you receive the medical forms in relation to the vetting forms?

From what PSNI was saying they are seperate so in theory someone could get a medical date before they have vetting forms?

I'm from co. Antrim btw.

Martin.

Sorry. I totally mis-read you there pal. My bad.

How often have you aplpied for the recruitment? This is only my second time. I guess that still makes me a newbie.

Do you recon, they'll let me in out of sympathy if I'm still here in a few years time? :D

Wishful thinkin'.

This is the first time for my partner and myself.

Fingers crossed for us all! :D

Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

Ello,

I just received my vetting forms today. Ive been through the process 3 times before but never got past the assessment centre. This is the first time Ive received vetting forms but it doesn't actually say i passed the assessment centre. Should I assume i have or am i supposed to actually get notification saying Ive passed? I dont want to get my hopes up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

BoutYe wrote: »
    Ello,

I just received my vetting forms today. Ive been through the process 3 times before but never got past the assessment centre. This is the first time Ive received vetting forms but it doesn't actually say i passed the assessment centre. Should I assume i have or am i supposed to actually get notification saying Ive passed? I dont want to get my hopes up.

If you've got vetting forms then you've passed the Assessment Centre. Third time lucky perhaps?

• Advertisement

merry x mas to everyone in here

and hope to meet you all up in the college soon in the new year

shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ricz

OK, this probably sounds stupid but i checked the convictions in the vetting form saying "Fixed Penalty Notice must also be given". Parking tickets are in this catagory yes?

And Merry Christmas everyone, also wanna say thanks to the people who have been so friendly and helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lisnsooz

Ricz wrote: »
    OK, this probably sounds stupid but i checked the convictions in the vetting form saying "Fixed Penalty Notice must also be given". Parking tickets are in this catagory yes?

Hey Ricz/all

I wasn't 100% sure what do do cos I didn't know if there would be a diff between what the Gardai term FPNs and what the PSNI use, so I just put down anything that involved the Gardai giving me fines (which was speeding tix and parking fine). Saying that tho - it was a few years since either, so had to give vague dates and hope that would be accepted!

Heading to Belfast for New Year's - hope starting off the year the way I mean to continue will oil the wheels... :D

Lis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ricz

Hi lisn

Thanks for the info, yeh i could barely remember when i got the tickets too, and it was only a year ago, just went and put down "mid 2006", heh. Sent it this morning but still waiting for my medical letter! Anyone here still waiting for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 brando08

Hi, think its great to see so many southern irish looking to join the psni, but from reading the threads it seems alot of people think it will be a great job with no worries. As i said i think it is great to see, but are the southern people aware that there is a very real danger from the real IRA scum, and two off duty officers have been shot in the past couple of months and they have said there will be more. Also this is just what has been reported in the news i know off officers having to leave their homes because off threats to their life. Dont want to put anyone off but its something that southern irish should be aware off.

• Advertisement

Everyone should be aware of it, Southern and Northern.
    Scum is too nice a word but I wont let that put me off my application because thats exactly what they want.

I think its important to remember that police face a danger anywhere but as far as I'm aware your still statisically less like to be killed in Northern Ireland as say The South or England?

Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

brando08 wrote: »
    Hi, think its great to see so many southern irish looking to join the psni, but from reading the threads it seems alot of people think it will be a great job with no worries. As i said i think it is great to see, but are the southern people aware that there is a very real danger from the real IRA scum, and two off duty officers have been shot in the past couple of months and they have said there will be more. Also this is just what has been reported in the news i know off officers having to leave their homes because off threats to their life. Dont want to put anyone off but its something that southern irish should be aware off.

Brando I fail to see the point you're making. No one who joins the police thinks its a risk-free profession. The threat to life, limb and family exists no matter where you work as is evidenced by an officer getting shot in Lancashire today.

However, despite this, the police is over-subscribed as a career choice. Why? Because everyone knows that the scum that intimidate and murder are cowards and bullies, nothing more. No matter what lengths they go to to terrorise, be it in NI or elsewhere, they have already failed as officers will turn in for duty every day of the week exactly the same as people will apply to join the service every year, regardless of risk or threat.

The Police in the north has survived hard times. Northern Ireland is a changing environment as is its police service. You'll always have those that resist change, some will try to do so with violence and terror, however we police without fear or favour, malice or ill will. These ideals are lost on the scum who maim and kill but mean that police will carry out their lawful duty regardless of risk involved or threat made.

My point is metman i was in dublin over christmas and got talking to a fella who is waiting for his medical for the psni and he was not aware off the threat from the real IRA and was not aware off the off duty officers being shot. I do agree with the point made that it is a dangerous job no matter where you are be it police in England, Scotland, Wales and Rep of Ireland but the difference is that in these other police forces the officers finish their shift and go home and dont have to worry about getting shot just because of their jobs or dont have to worry about checking their cars in the morning for bombs. I mean look at that off duty officer shot while picking his children up from school do you think a normal police officer in another force would have this worry. Plus some people have family to think off and them scum would not think twice of killing them to get to you. So metman it is a very real point and is something i thought southern irish people like my friend i was talking too should be aware off

the difference is that in these other police forces the officers finish their shift and go home and dont have to worry about getting shot just because of their jobs or dont have to worry about checking their cars in the morning for bombs. I mean look at that off duty officer shot while picking his children up from school do you think a normal police officer in another force would have this worry. Plus some people have family to think off and them scum would not think twice of killing them to get to you

Ignorance must be bliss.

Are you aware that police officers and customs officers in the UK have had contracts taken out on them while investigating serious and organised criminals? Or that John Giligan, Martin Cahill and various other scum threatened Gardai, their families and indeed used explosive devices to try to kill and intimidate members of the CAB? I seem to recall a taxman being attacked at one point in this manner.

As I said, the situations you describe can happen anywhere in the UK and Ireland. Not just in the north.

Well metman i did say normal police officers not high ranking officers investigating the most dangerous criminals. Obviously officers from any force dealing with the most dangerous criminals are risking are risking their lives, but with the psni the threat is against the whole force on duty or off duty not on individual officers investigating top drug gangs etc. And there is alot more going on than being reported in the news as i said i know off officers having to leave their family homes and also their family being threatened just because they are in the psni. If you dont see my point i think you should rethink your career choice.

Also metman can you tell me why a psni recruit can be given a personnel protection weapon to bring home if all police forces carry the same threat how come this does not happen in other forces, last i heard templemore didnt give out weapons in fact i beleive the only garda to carry weapons are detectives.I will tell you why its because the second a person walks in to the training centre for the psni he becomes a target to the real IRA so his/her life is in danger.

Also metman can you tell me why a psni recruit can be given a personnel protection weapon to bring home if all police forces carry the same threat how come this does not happen in other forces, last i heard templemore didnt give out weapons in fact i beleive the only garda to carry weapons are detectives.I will tell you why its because the second a person walks in to the training centre for the psni he becomes a target to the real IRA so his/her life is in danger.

Again Brando, you're not stating anything that anyone who has the smallest knowledge of the north doesn't already know. All you appear to be doing is stating the obvious.

If your message is 'people joining the security forces in Northern Ireland be aware of the threat from Republican terrorism' then cheers... MI5 your job is safe :rolleyes:

Do the PSNI issue PPE to recruits? I knew there was once instance a few years ago that this happened but I didn't think it was standard.

I also agree with metman, brando I think you may be over stating the level of threat in Northern Ireland. As it has been highlighted no matter where a police officer serves it’s a dangerous job. I also maintain you’re less likely to get shot/stabbed in the North as you would be in the rest of the UK or Ireland. I can’t remember where a read that but maybe someone with a bit more knowledge might highlight some figures.

Martin,

I'm not sure this is the best place to discuss what the policy is on the issue/carrying of PPE by personnel. Bearing in mind that this is a forum for people with an interest in emergency services, it will, however, also attract those with nothing positive to contribute as well as those who simply wish to further their own ends and try to dissuade people from applying.....bigotry and ignorance still abound sadly.

I know that at one point Northern Ireland was regarded as one of the most dangerous places on the planet for a police officer (at the height of the troubles) but as you rightly say, though there is still a heightened threat, you could, equally, be shot or stabbed in the south or in Britain whilst on or off-duty. The north is no longer that unstable, hence the withdrawl of joint police/army patrols.

Indeed, Northern Ireland certainly is a different place of late. I'm quite young but even I can see the difference in peoples attitudes towards the police etc.

I appreciate your point on policy however serving officers have already highlighted policy in this thread reffering to firearms/PPE etc.

I was just curious to see someone thought it was standard practice to hand out PPE to new recruits. Although maybe I picked it up wrong :)

Happy new year!

Martin.

• Advertisement

Martin i did not say it was standard practice to hand out weapons to new recruits i said it can happen and has happened, and they are not giving them out for fun! Also i am not trying to put anyone off, my reason for starting this thread was to make people aware of the extra danger that psni officers have to think about 24/7. And anyone who disagrees is living with their head in the clouds. I think it is great to see the force changing but people should know what they are getting in too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Didn't I start this thread? Strange.

Anyway brando08, most of the people who apply to do this job know of the increased threat to their personal security. Those who are not aware should think twice before they apply.

Thanks for your comments.
    Martin i did not say it was standard practice to hand out weapons to new recruits i said it can happen and has happened, and they are not giving them out for fun! Also i am not trying to put anyone off, my reason for starting this thread was to make people aware of the extra danger that psni officers have to think about 24/7. And anyone who disagrees is living with their head in the clouds. I think it is great to see the force changing but people should know what they are getting in too.

Sorry my mistake you did start it, well done. I do not agree with you on that one i think alot of southern irish people are not aware of the risk, as i said before a friend of mine in dublin was not aware of it and he thought he could live any where when he moved up he even said if he got in he would like to live in west belfast! and i dont think my friend is the only one out there who is not aware of the risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

Sorry my mistake you did start it, well done. I do not agree with you on that one i think alot of southern irish people are not aware of the risk, as i said before a friend of mine in dublin was not aware of it and he thought he could live any where when he moved up he even said if he got in he would like to live in west belfast! and i dont think my friend is the only one out there who is not aware of the risks.

Well if your friend did not know of the associated risks. I fail to see how he could be a suitable applicant for the PSNI. Just a little bit of historical knowledge would tell him that joining up would bring its dangers.

By the way, I do think it is a good thing that people from the south are given a chance to obtain emloyment in the PSNI. It is important that such a force has got cross community representation.

Change the record there brando me old mucker.

And your "friend" should count himself lucky, he clearly leads a blissful existence :D

OK wont say any more on the subject!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭hammy140

psni wrote: »
    It makes no difference if you wear a suit or not to the initial selection test. All you do is sit a test and there is nobody there paying attention to what you're wearing. I would be advising that you wear a suit to the assessment centre for the role plays if you get through.

Yes, you can be trying for the Gardai while in the PSNI. They don't recognise your service though, so you'd have to start all over again from scratch.

You act in the roleplays. You don't get a chance to observe. The second you walk into the room, the actors make themselves known to you.

I am absolutely delighted with being in the PSNI, and have no desire to be in the Gardai whatsoever. The pay is far better, the policing plans are far superior and the prospects for us Southerners joining are FAR better than if we were in the Gardai. We can thank Patten for that, while those from the Protestant community despise him for it!

Finally, yes - all PSNI officers carry a handgun and CS incapacitant. Some even covertly carry the gun around off-duty just in case.

Very interesting and informative PSNI, just a few questions out of curiosity as a serving Garda.
    Does the PSNI recognise Garda service? Will there ever be a direct transfer system from Garda to PSNI?
    And finally, do you know anything about the secondment between Garda and PSNI?
    Cheers in advance
    David
    PS Fair play to you for going up there and doing a job fairly. I think the northern police forces have been heroes who have made the ultimate sacrifice in the 30 years of the troubles.
    It came home to me last week while in the NYPD museum in Manhattan, they have a role of honour of around 180 in the past 150 years. This is no comparison to the RUC.
    PPS You know that poster 'Lest we forget' with the 302 faces of officers killed in the line of duty, do you know where I could get a hold of a copy of this? I've been looking for it for years, there is one in the Templemore mini-museum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭mickey2186

Hi All,

Happy New Year...

Have a look at the link below and let me have your comments....

Looks like the recruitment process this time is different and they are trying to save money by only vetting/medical those who are high enough in the pool to be offered a position if they pass both the vetting and medical.

If either part is failed they will move on to the next person in the merit list.

Does this mean that anyone who currently has received vetting forms and has either passed/waiting for medical is more or less guaranteed a post if they pass both???

Anyone read this differently??

http://www.nio.gov.uk/draft_policing_(miscellaneous_provisions)_(northern_ireland)_order_2007_consultation_document.pdf

Regards

Mickey2186

Hi David.

Much to the frustration of the many ex-Gardai I have met, the PSNI does not recognise Garda service, and there doesn't seem to be any transfer agreement in the pipeline.

I only know about the transfers out from PSNI to Gardai, and not the other way around. This wouldn't really help you much, and at any rate, I haven't seen any opportunities like that for a while now.

I think the Federation sells those posters, or if not there, the museum in the headquarters might be the next place to try. The number for the Federation from ROI is 04890 764200 and the headquarters from ROI is 04890 650222. Just ask to be put through to the museum.
    hammy140 wrote: »
    Very interesting and informative PSNI, just a few questions out of curiosity as a serving Garda.
    Does the PSNI recognise Garda service? Will there ever be a direct transfer system from Garda to PSNI?
    And finally, do you know anything about the secondment between Garda and PSNI?
    Cheers in advance
    David
    PS Fair play to you for going up there and doing a job fairly. I think the northern police forces have been heroes who have made the ultimate sacrifice in the 30 years of the troubles.
    It came home to me last week while in the NYPD museum in Manhattan, they have a role of honour of around 180 in the past 150 years. This is no comparison to the RUC.
    PPS You know that poster 'Lest we forget' with the 302 faces of officers killed in the line of duty, do you know where I could get a hold of a copy of this? I've been looking for it for years, there is one in the Templemore mini-museum.

• Advertisement

I think you're reading this correctly, but has it been implemented for campaign 13? Having been through the vetting/medical (still awaiting feedback on both) I really hope it has.

Hopefully the potential financial/time/manpower savings will have been encouragement enough for this to have gone through.

Damn it Micky. You've just gone and put my hopes up. The disappointment's really gonna hurt now.

Happy New Year

mickey2186 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Happy New Year...

Looks like the recruitment process this time is different and they are trying to save money by only vetting/medical those who are high enough in the pool to be offered a position if they pass both the vetting and medical.

If either part is failed they will move on to the next person in the merit list.

Does this mean that anyone who currently has received vetting forms and has either passed/waiting for medical is more or less guaranteed a post if they pass both???

Anyone read this differently??

http://www.nio.gov.uk/draft_policing_(miscellaneous_provisions)_(northern_ireland)_order_2007_consultation_document.pdf

Regards

Mickey2186

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lisnsooz

mickey2186 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Regards

Mickey2186

Mickey - where do you find these docs?!
    You should go into the detective industry alright :D LOL

Lis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭mic

Hi all, been lurking here a while, thought it was about time to post. Passed the role plays and medical there so fingers crossed. Does anyone know roughly when the feedback will be out? Also, does anyone know anybody who has failed the role plays? I know a few people doing it and they have all passed.

just looked over that document you were talking about mickey,definitely looks right what you`re saying though this is the first i heard of it,done medical 17th dec still no word (not really expecting until next week with the holidays)fingers crossed:)

Interesting reading Mickey.

It makes a lot of sense in my opinion I’m just hoping it’s been implemented this time.
    My partner had her medical on the 17th also, the Doctor concluded with “We’ll be in contact in the new year” Hopefully this end of it eh!

Mine with on the 10th but I had additional medical information to supply, I hope that doesn’t leave me too far behind on the results.

Good luck all.

Martin.

mic wrote: »
    Hi all, been lurking here a while, thought it was about time to post. Passed the role plays and medical there so fingers crossed. Does anyone know roughly when the feedback will be out? Also, does anyone know anybody who has failed the role plays? I know a few people doing it and they have all passed.

Mic I think they said March for feedback but if you've already passed your medical maybe you'll be started by then! Good luck!

Could you let us know when you did your medical and when you received word you passed?

Martin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Ethan321

Interesting document you have found there, it would only make sense to do medicals as people are being considered for a placement, not just for the merit pool, in other words after the merit pool has been populated.
    Though it is just a consultation paper and not difinitive ammendments to legislation;)

Not too sure if it has been implemented, but i'm sure there has been some streamlining this time as the process is definately different this time...

i.e how could Jim have been offered a place using the old sytem if the merit pool (I believe merit pool was only confirmed early December 2007)under that system was only decided after all vetting and medicals had taken place ...unless perhaps all the potential recruits had already been vetted/medical, passed/failed (and those next in line offered the places) by early December 2007.

Perhaps we are all part of the "1800" or Jim was indeed offered a position to top up campaign 12....As far as I was aware each campaign is independent, however this would need to be confirmed. Anyone know??

Regards.

Mickey 2186.

BTW anyone received a reply from Conensia regarding the 4 week letter?

Not too sure if it has been implemented, but i'm sure there has been some streamlining this time as the process is definately different this time...

i.e how could Jim have been offered a place using the old sytem if the merit pool (I believe merit pool was only confirmed early December 2007)under that system was only decided after all vetting and medicals had taken place ...unless perhaps all the potential recruits had already been vetted/medical, passed/failed (and those next in line offered the places) by early December 2007.

Perhaps we are all part of the "1800" or Jim was indeed offered a position to top up campaign 12....As far as I was aware each campaign is independent, however this would need to be confirmed. Anyone know??

Regards.

Mickey 2186.

BTW anyone received a reply from Conensia regarding the 4 week letter?

To be honest I think they have implemented it this time.

Didn’t someone say the PSNI wanted to see the A/C results straight away so this delayed the initial medical/vetting? Where they establishing the merit pool at this point?
    Was it Alan that said PSNI recruitment confirmed the process would be different and you only got a medical date after you passed vetting? Out of all of us here has anyone received vetting forms after the medical? I certainly didn’t. In fact my partner and I did everything together including the vetting forms, however she received the medical date a week after me. Previous to this we were a little worried about some of her extended family affecting her vetting. Did this slow her vetting, proving the last point?
    The fact that Conensia sent out the 4 week letter after many of us where already at the vetting/medical stage. Was this an indication that the merit pool had already been put together and the time it took for Conensia to get the results back delay the generic letter to everyone?
    Jim has been offered a place and starts training this month, how could this happen if many other’s hadn’t even been vetted or had their medical.

Obviously this is all guess work but as Mickey says I’m sure they have adopted at least some of the streamlining.

Good luck all.

Martin.

i recieved vetting forms 12/11,then 2 days later letter from consensia confirming i was through to next stage then 29/11 another one 2 say they would be in touch in 4 weeks(nothing yet)then my medical date arrived around the 4th dec which i attended on 17thdec , on the medical letter it says it`s the final stage other than vetting which is being carried out by psni,so going on that i would assume everyone does medical while checks are still ongoing although it is strange why martin and partner dates are the same until vetting/medical:confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement