Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment (Archived)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

stote21 wrote: »
    Congratulations to all those who got the letter today about 50 marks passing, but I cant help feeling a bit annoyed, as it reduces the chances of all those who passed initially. What the hell are consensia up to, are they completely incompetent?

Stote, not directed solely at you, just that your comment summerised the feeling on the board about the IST situation. The thing is, Consensia need a pool of candidates large enough to attend the AC bearing in mind a lot will be chopped at that stage (don't know exact number). If that number had been reached with test scores of 52 and over, they wouldn't have lowered it. The fact that not enough people have passed at 52 or over means that Consensia have to lower the pass mark to get the required number.
    This doesn't mean more competition for those already attending AC's, the numbers would have been same just that the pass for IST has been lowered. If they had enough of 52+ you would never have known, so don't stress. Catch my drift?

P.S MrsGH, well done. See, karma!

JVB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Par827

JVB,

shouldn't you be doing your NVQ instead of reading forums ??

Par827 wrote: »
    JVB,

shouldn't you be doing your NVQ instead of reading forums ??
    Stalker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭alanbelfast

Yes people should really understand that Consensia need a certain amount of people to go threw and if that means dropping pass mark down to 3 then so be it. At the end of the day if they need 220people to start training then obviously they need atleast that amount to pass the ist.

Congrats to all that got threw no matter what their score.

Alan

carlty888 wrote: »
    A little joke to cheer you all up.

A woman came home, screeching her car into the driveway, and ran into the house. She slammed the door and shouted at the top of her lungs, "Honey, pack your bags. I won the lottery!"

The husband yelled back, "What should I pack, beach stuff or mountain stuff?"

"Doesn't matter," she said, "Just get out!"
    just to even things up....

A man goes to see a wizard and says, 'can you lift a curse that was put on me years ago ?'. 'Maybe', says the Wizard, 'if you can remember the exact words of the curse'. The man replies without hesitation "I now pronounce you Man and Wife" !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Hey,

Was cleaning out my room there and found my failure letter from C13. The pass mark was 51 last year and I scored 47 !!! I wonder did they lower it last time too!

Pretty useless info but just thought id share it with you all:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mckeever

Yes people should really understand that Consensia need a certain amount of people to go threw and if that means dropping pass mark down to 3 then so be it. At the end of the day if they need 220people to start training then obviously they need atleast that amount to pass the ist.

Congrats to all that got threw no matter what their score.

Alan

Guys I cant believe you aren't seeing the point here! Say they do need 220 to get through...if 80 people got 52 and 110 got 51, first of all Consensia should have realised then that they had to drop the mark to 50 and not have to do it TWICE. And then say 150 got 50, well obviously those who passed initially have three times the competition now!

This is campaign FOURTEEN and Consensia still don't know what they're doing!

I was lucky enough to get through at 50 but I'd be so annoyed if I had got 52 and suddenly lost my advantage. although i am really really glad to get through i feel if 500 people had have got 52 and a further 220 had got 53 then would they have raised the mark to 53 so they would have the required number?!

Before anyone says anything and brings me up on the wrong point i do realise 220 is not the official number. i just used alans example.

Yeh thanks for that mathematical calculation Carol Vorderman. Hello to you too ...

mckeever wrote: »
    Guys I cant believe you aren't seeing the point here! Say they do need 220 to get through...if 80 people got 52 and 110 got 51, first of all Consensia should have realised then that they had to drop the mark to 50 and not have to do it TWICE. And then say 150 got 50, well obviously those who passed initially have three times the competition now!

I was lucky enough to get through at 50 but I'd be so annoyed if I had got 52 and suddenly lost my advantage. although i am really really glad to get through i feel if 500 people had have got 52 and a further 220 had got 53 then would they have raised the mark to 53 so they would have the required number?!

Before anyone says anything and brings me up on the wrong point i do realise 220 is not the official number. i just used alans example.
    This is going to go on and on .....

there's no advantage to be gained by passing with 52 as opposed to 50. Consensia will have a remit to put so many through to AC, that's what they have done. Whether you're up against 50 or 500 other candidates YOU still have to pass AC.
    Consensia may have initially lowered the pass to 51 whilst awaiting the marking of the last IST's. Only after all the marks were in were they possibly in a position to review the pass mark. Who knows ?

AC is all about you and your capabilities, nothing to do with your IST score. I'm glad more people will have the chance to try AC, surely the bigger the pool to choose from, the better the quality of the successful candidates !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

Hey goodcopbc,

You heard any word yourself? I have my med on 16th june.....yikkes!
    No alcohol for next couple weekends and been out playing golf and walking alot.

Alan

Nothing just hoping for August maybe, passed medical last month, so hoping everything is ok.

Good luck for the medical!

• Advertisement

Thanks gcbc

Dreading it to be honest. You have to admit this whole process is one intense, stressful and lengthly ride.
    It will def be worth it at the finish line(if that ever comes).
    Yes August is looking good for you - Thats my goal also. Maybe see you in there.

Thanks gcbc

Dreading it to be honest. You have to admit this whole process is one intense, stressful and lengthly ride.
    It will def be worth it at the finish line(if that ever comes).
    Yes August is looking good for you - Thats my goal also. Maybe see you in there.

You Will be fine, pass the medical and you're flying!

I just wish now I knew what my chances are of getting in, I have done everything and have to say its not as good as I thought it would be, the stress of knowing its out of your hands is tough.

Who knows might see you up there soon enough!

You Will be fine, pass the medical and you're flying!

I just wish now I knew what my chances are of getting in, I have done everything and have to say its not as good as I thought it would be, the stress of knowing its out of your hands is tough.

Who knows might see you up there soon enough!

Without jumping the gun so to speak, I do believe you will get in. I don't think they would have put you threw the medical if you had no chance. Keep the chin up and I would hedge my bets you will get word in next couple weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

Without jumping the gun so to speak, I do believe you will get in. I don't think they would have put you threw the medical if you had no chance. Keep the chin up and I would hedge my bets you will get word in next couple weeks.

people have still failed after passing medical and vetting, its happened before, they pick the best candidates from the pool of qualified candidates!

Not to sound arrogant here, but there was a document posted on here which said that new guidelines were in place which meant that only people being offered training would be subjected to vetting and medical.

So far from campaign 13 the only person off here who has been to medical and passed it and been rejected is carlty888, for what reason I dont think any one even him knows yet.

Not saying that those who do medicals are in, but pretty much everyone on this site who has been through it has got in so theres a good chance if you have been through everything and passed it, you will get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

So far from campaign 13 the only person off here who has been to medical and passed it and been rejected is carlty888, for what reason I dont think any one even him knows yet.

I honestly think I'd feel happier if I wasn't the only one. The only answers I can think of are
    • I may have been one of the lowest scores put forward for medical etc and when enough people passed it, I got cut.
    • I was put through as a mistake.
    • I failed my vetting.
    I would have thought PSNI would've got back to me about the vettimg though. I don't have any skeletons in the closet and my criminal record consists of a speeding fine and a parking ticket.

Anyone got any other ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 stote21

I honestly think I'd feel happier if I wasn't the only one. The only answers I can think of are
    • I may have been one of the lowest scores put forward for medical etc and when enough people passed it, I got cut.
    • I failed my vetting.
    I would have thought PSNI would've got back to me about the vettimg though. I don't have any skeletons in the closet and my criminal record consists of a speeding fine and a parking ticket.

The vetting isnt just about you, your family are being vetted too. Your right though, they should have explained why you were rejected so you can appeal if necessary

mckeever wrote: »

Good point. They already had 1500 who passed the ist at 52 and above, thats more than enough. It should have been left at that. Its a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

stote21 wrote: »
    Good point. They already had 1500 who passed the ist at 52 and above, thats more than enough. It should have been left at that. Its a farce.

And you know this for fact how?????
    Get out of the bitter barn.

And you know this for fact how?????
    Get out of the bitter barn.

Its correct, I will say no more. I think I and all the others who passed have the right to feel let down and I do not care for the tone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Maura2145

Well the important thing is those who are good enough at the AC will get in at some point. Its not like the passmark was lowered to an unjustified low. dont think it shud have been put up to 52 anyway

And if it wasnt for this forum we probably wouldnt be able to monitor consentias 'every mistake'. So im sure they didnt expect the reassesment to be so widely broadcasted.

Im sure they have their reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭pedro552

guys, stop with the bitching an just be happy for everyone who passed..
    those who passed initially, think about this!! imagine if you had failed by one or two, you would be happy with the change!! everyone in here has the same goal, so just be happy for everyone who passed(be that by getting 50 or 500) its all the same!! now leave this subject alone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

Hello everyone

I was just wondering if anyone is considering coaching for the assessment centre? I don't think I'll go for it but someone was telling me today that they knew someone who did and found it very helpful. I'm getting the impression that the a/c is really a way for the assessors to see what kind of people we are and no matter how rehearsed we are they will be able to see through any 'acting' so to speak? What do you think? The part I'm really not looking forward to is the situational interviews. I think I'll get tongue tied and talk nonsense :eek: or ramble. Was due to go to a\c on 18 June but I'm off on hols for a fortnight the day before so waiting until the end of July now - I'll just put it out of my head while I'm on my holidays! Would have been nice to get it over with earlier rather than later but hey ho.

P.S. I can understand both points of view regarding the lowering of the IST mark. It would have been good for us who passed at 52 to have less people to 'compete' against at the a/c, but obviously there is a set number consensia have to put through to a/c so we would never have had that advantage anyway. I also know if I had scored 50 I would be over the moon at this point to have gotten through. In the end if it wasn't for this forum I'd have been none the wiser about the change anyway!

Sorry for the big long message. Haven't posted in a while so was making up for lost time :D

Maybe 1500 did pass the ist maybe not. Maybe out of the 1500 there were 1490 non catholic background passes which in turn would mean they would need to let more threw to up the anti ??

Wish everyone would stop being bitter is the correct word and just concentrate on doing well in the ac. Getting angry or being bitter is not a good start to being a police officer.

Well done all who passed. We should be supporting each other and encouraging each other not bad mouthing etc etc

We shall agree to disagree

• I failed my vetting.

Hi Carlty888

Yes I think you hit the nail on the head with the first reason. I believe that your merit number could have been high and as you said once they got enough people below your mark then they cut you. Maybe psni can advise.

Think I read in the forum that they take on extra to allow for failures of vetting, medicals and also people who turn down offers of employment.
    Sorry you didn't get in this time Carlty but now is the time when you really know if you wanna do this job or not. Now is the time that you will either show determination and grit and re-apply and progress further with the knowledge you have gained from the previous campaign or decide it's not for you. I know from your posts that you want to be a police officer. It has taken me from 2001 to now to get this far.......

Good luck and keep at it
    (oh and another thing- If you failed vetting they would have let you know) I once failed vetting due to non disclosure of material fact. They soon let me know about it, so I would say that your vetting was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

I think there is always some "wastage" factored in, which is probably what happened in Carlty888's case. He probably just missed out by a small margin but if at first you dont succeed.....

Exacte-mondo........Whoops exactly

I dont know what happened Carlty, and either does anyone else on here, but It must be something to do with not being high enough up the list, but then why did you get vetting and medical in the first place?

My theory would be that you have been put through the process quickly before it was established how many people were sucessful, and once they knew they had plenty to choose from they sent you the letter. It seems harsh but can't think of much else.

You should give them a ring just to know for yourself what it was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭manaka

Well done to those who made it through to AC. Hope you all make good use of the second chance! Well done Maura & Mrs Genehunt. PYG will be a happier camper now! Sorry if im jumping away from the AC debate but can anyone tell me all that they test at the medical and what it consists of?
    Did anyone see the programme called 'First Blues' about new recruits in west yorkshire constabulary? Do the psni do any situational training, eg. You are out on the street with a full time member and come across a 'robbery' and you have to intervene and make an arrest?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement