Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment (Archived)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 bookemdanno

Wanalaugh wrote: »
    Hi guys
    Im in the same boat as a few of you guys on here. Just waitin on the phone call for 3rd Aug start (i hope lol).......

Yes people, I'm another waiting on the dreaded phone call, i was told the calls might come on the Friday 20th, so we will wait and see

For those who do get in on the third of August, the 20 weeks training is finished on the Friday 19th December, what date do you think the graduation will be.

Hope to hear good news for us all soon.

p.s. cheers to keeponrunning for your advice on appealing your medical, i passed mine after the appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

your sooooooooooooo lucky to have all the process behind you. im really only beginnig it!! All the best to you and those waiting for the telephone:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭alanbelfast

Hey Pyg

Just wishing you good luck for your ac in few days time. Just try relax over the weekend and everything will be fine. At the end of the day you can only do your best and if thats not good enough then you can take the experience with you for the next time.
    You will get it this time Pyg

Alan

Yes people, I'm another waiting on the dreaded phone call, i was told the calls might come on the Friday 20th, so we will wait and see

For those who do get in on the third of August, the 20 weeks training is finished on the Friday 19th December, what date do you think the graduation will be.

Hope to hear good news for us all soon.

p.s. cheers to keeponrunning for your advice on appealing your medical, i passed mine after the appeal

Hi Bookemdanno

What did they fail you on at med and what did you do for the appeal if you don't mind me asking ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Hey Pyg

Just wishing you good luck for your ac in few days time. Just try relax over the weekend and everything will be fine. At the end of the day you can only do your best and if thats not good enough then you can take the experience with you for the next time.
    You will get it this time Pyg

Alan

Thanks a million,

I hope i do 'get it' on my first go at the AC, not sure though! So scared of saying something majorly wrong

• Advertisement

Thanks a million,

I hope i do 'get it' on my first go at the AC, not sure though! So scared of saying something majorly wrong

Just stay calm and don't ramble on if there is an awkward silence. Remember they want to see you using listening techniques also........so ask the roleplayer what he/she would like you to do to resolve the situation........use your glass of water to buy you few seconds to think of somthing. Remember when you come to a conclusion with the role player......tell he/she that you will email or send them out a letter of confirmation of what you have discussed so that you both have a hard copy to fall back on. This shows very good communication.

Another thing Pyg

If you feel you have resolved the issue with the roleplayer and it only took you 1 minute, don't panic. It is ok to resolve it inside the time. Don't ramble on talking blurb. If you are happy with the outcome then say ok thank you very much for your time and look forward to seeing you again shortly or somthing to that avail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Steven123

In the role plays i was wondering how do the actors know when to stop acting? I mean if you've been told to play the part of a difficult customer are they looking for a certain phrase or line of questions to allow themselves to work with you?? hope this makes sense!!

Steven123 wrote: »
    In the role plays i was wondering how do the actors know when to stop acting? I mean if you've been told to play the part of a difficult customer are they looking for a certain phrase or line of questions to allow themselves to work with you?? hope this makes sense!!

Hi

No the roleplayer will continue so long as you are talking to him/her.
    They will only finish acting if the time is up or you come to what YOU think is a solution. Because you think you have sorted it out and the role player is happy does not mean you did the part well. You must demonstrate the core competencies required for that role play.

Sorry didnt explain that well what i meant was i was doing a bit of practise with a friend of mine and it became pretty obvious that if they didnt want to let you help them there wasnt a whole lot you could do. They could sort of shut down any line of questions or possible solutions you mite offer. So i'm really probably asking although the role play actors may play the part of a difficult customer they're never going to be impossible about things, are they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

They can be tricky enough, they are all very convincing actors and can say things to make you slip up, so watch you dont contradict yourself, which I kind of did, then had to talk my way out of it to convince them of what I meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭conor123

Sorry didnt explain that well what i meant was i was doing a bit of practise with a friend of mine and it became pretty obvious that if they didnt want to let you help them there wasnt a whole lot you could do. They could sort of shut down any line of questions or possible solutions you mite offer. So i'm really probably asking although the role play actors may play the part of a difficult customer they're never going to be impossible about things, are they?

not impossible but they can be quite stubborn.

Trust me they will be very difficult in some cases. And yes sometimes they will not accept anything you fire at them. This is when you use your listening techniques and ask them what they want. Ask what would make them happy etc. This should get things moving in the right direction.

Some role players will actually try and go off on a tangent and waste your 5 mins.

Yeah this is what happened and when i tried to redirect him with questions he sort of snapped at me "I havent finished talking yet..." then sort of ranted about that for a bit. Would they be likely to do something like that? How much information do you get prior to the role play?

Hi

Did I see you got the laser surgery?
    Was it sore?
    Was considering getting it done myself but thought of it scares the life out of me!!

i had one guy last year who really just responded alot with moans and groans. felt like chucking the glass of water over him to wake him up:D
    but as alanbelfast says try asking them for ideas aswell. was only by questioning him did i feel like i was getting anywhere

Yeah this is what happened and when i tried to redirect him with questions he sort of snapped at me "I havent finished talking yet..." then sort of ranted about that for a bit. Would they be likely to do something like that? How much information do you get prior to the role play?

Well he was obviously trying to get you to snap or get angry. Best trying to get him/her in future to calm down and explain that shouting or being abrupt isn't helping matters and assure him/her that you are there to help sort the matter out.
    Stay calm, show professionalism, reassure them and cant say it enough......ask them questions. If they are using up to much of your time then obviously you will have to move quick and think on your feet.
    The only info you get is that of your role and what the role play is about. You wont get info on if the person will be aggressive, passive, friendly and so forth. This is part of the surprise when you 'walk threw that door'

wasnt what i would describe as sore. you had to keep protective lens' in for a few days which after a while felt more gritty than anything. kind of like having dust in your eye but you cant rub:(

conor123 wrote: »
    wasnt what i would describe as sore. you had to keep protective lens' in for a few days which after a while felt more gritty than anything. kind of like having dust in your eye but you cant rub:(

But was it sore with the machine burning your lense? Is their a vacuum type machine holding your eyeball in place? Are you told if you move your eye you may lose an eyeball hehe. God the thought of it so so scares me. Would love to get it done if/when I get in to l'hotel Garnerville

O and where did you get it done? £2000. that actually isn't bad. Was it the top treatment the lazek or something?

not at all, your eyes are numbed with drops beforehand and then held open with "clamps" im sure there is a technical term for them:D

the laser is always tracking your eye so if you move to much then it stops, but it only last about 20-30seconds anyway.

had it done in optical express in belfast. was "wavefront lasek"

• Advertisement

mmmmmm

Did they cut your eye flap with the laser or with a scalpal thing.
    I believe they cut a wee flap to seal back over so that the healing time is quicker or is that a different laser. I actually had an appointment few mths ago to see about it and lapped out of it few days before hand.

with the lasek they loosened up the cells with more drops and then scrapped them away. your eyes generate a new layer of cells every week anyway so the healing time is quite quick.

there are different ways of creating the flap but in the end the surgeon will have a prefered method which they use

ohh and the only thing you will notice is a burning smell during it, like singed hair. but thats the laser and not your eyes

How far in the process are you at present conor123?

waiting on the call, although not that hopeful this time around. my AC score last year wasnt great, just passed. 50/50 selection is my best hope i think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Conor123 - are you in for C14 was well???

yep. have AC at the end of july. and with last years experience i actually cant wait for it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

I have only just let it sink in that I'm heading to the AC. Would be good to have the benefit of experience behind you I think!! Am getting some help tho and have about 2 months to prepare so hoping to get the head down and really give it a million percent! Good luck for 13, u still may come out on top and if not, sure you'll be heading to Garnerville with me and PapaYankeeGirl LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

Hi all

i being off the site for a good bit, can some one please up date me on the intake for aug, i.e. when are calls and letters going to be sent you etc.

i c13 and have passed med and my merit number is good so just waiting:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: on vetting:mad::mad::mad::(:mad: from the Gardai , any other people out in same situation or have just gone through :confused:

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭pedro552

redsurfer wrote: »
    Hi all

i being off the site for a good bit, can some one please up date me on the intake for aug, i.e. when are calls and letters going to be sent you etc.

i c13 and have passed med and my merit number is good so just waiting:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: on vetting:mad::mad::mad::(:mad: from the Gardai , any other people out in same situation or have just gone through :confused:

:cool:
    Howya,
    yep im in same boat, my vetting came back last week from guards... so yours could have been in there aswell.. calls should be going out over the next 2 weeks....
    good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

Where do people on here get their information about when calls are going out etc? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement