Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment (Archived)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭alanbelfast

hols82 wrote: »
    i dont know if you would call it training as such more like deathly run!no matter how long i train im still as red as a beetroot. ive been running now since february doing long distance and speed on different wks trying to build it up. how long you running for?you inside or outside?

Hi

I'm running inside at mo and doing a lot of interval training. Advice I could give you is get a heart rate monitor. Determine your cardio zone, train and keep yourself in this zone without going into the heart attack zone lol. Once you reach the heart attack zone,slow down. Speed walk until your rate comes down to the start of cardio zone and then speed up again.
    God I have only begun training so a long long way to go yet, but very determined and I will not fail. Goal posts are ahead of me and I want in the back of the net

Alan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Hi

I'm running inside at mo and doing a lot of interval training. Advice I could give you is get a heart rate monitor. Determine your cardio zone and run and keep yourself in this zone without going into the heart attack zone lol. Once you reach the heart attack zone slow down. Speed walk until your rate comes down to start off cardio zone and then speed up again.
    God I have only begun training so a long long way to go yet, but very determined and I will not fail. Goal posts are ahead of me and I want in the back of the net

Alan:)

If you havent been running at all there are numerous plans on the net that will get you gradually up to speed ( so to speak )
    I weight train with a personal trainer for the most part about 4 times a week and any cardio is mostly on the bike or rowing machine but I am V mindful that if there is a God and SHE (!) gets me to Garnerville that I will have to be able to run at LEAST a 5k without collapsing and needing CPR. There are plans on the net that will have you running a 5k in approx 6 - 8 weeks in around 30 mins which is a fairly decent time. Check them out, just google something lie running for beginners.
    I know not everyones budget would stretch to a personal trainer but they are worth it for a few sessions to get some knowledge and a training programme in place.
    My ex husband is paying for mine ( and will be on his massive mortgage for the next 25 years the fat lying cheating SCUMBAG)
    :D
    Bitter? Moi??????????? LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭doug-26

GCBC you are absolutly right. I'm in the same position as TangoVictor, i've started running again, after a long long time spent doing not very much physical activity. I would heartily recommend it, if you do pass everything and get 'the call', your physical fitness is one less thing to worry about! lol:)

Yes I too am using a personal fitness trainer and they are def worth every penny. They breathe down your neck when you are about to quit and honestly you will dig deep and do that extra yard.
    As for Garnerville, On week 5 you must do and pass a physical assesment which is a 5k run and must be done in under 35 mins!
    Apparently if you get threw the first 5 weeks, training is alot easier and not as intense.
    So guys/gals start getting fit now is all I can say, even as Goodcopbadcop said - if not for the campaign then do it for your own fitness and health.

You know, I never thought I would EVER Say this but exercise is quite addictive. I get a bit antsy when I havent been to the gym in about 2 or 3 days!! And as a former fatso, believe me, if I enjoy exercise then anyone can!!! I was BIG GIRL. But now? Not so big ( 6 stone less of me LOL)

Slap the ipod on and get out there, its time just for you and you will reap the benefits not just on the physical side but the mental side too. It helped to keep me sane through tough times.

Plus my PT is an absolute star who had made me do things I never thought I could do. Dont get me wrong, he is TOUGH, and I swear like a navvy at him when he makes me do one more set of reps but I have never felt better!!!

• Advertisement

Night night peeps

Chat tomorrow- away to watch the old Deuce Bigalow in the comforts of my new big squishy bed hehe.

ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 hols82

cool well i had a friend who does marathon running giving me some tips and they have worked quite well...so far so if they want 5k after week 5 then train to run at least 6-7. i did 10km each session and now 5km is much easier plus you can really speed up near the end with all the extra energy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

Thanks for the advice about training and I will start some light work in the not too distant future.

I have a few more spanners to throw into the works so here goes;
    1) Medical - Im not worried about my general state of health, I am generally unfit (i.e. I like a few beers, would sooner drive than walk, and unfortunetly I am skilled in the fine art of smoking; all these I can work on) other than this Im a fairly normal person, male early to mid twenties and everything works as it should. However, my biggest concern is my eyesight. I wear glasses. My eyes are quite poor without them. What is the requirment for eyesight (aided) during the medical?
    I have no idea what my eyesight is currently (30/10 or 20/20 or so forth) but I will make an appointment with the eye man to check this out. Lazer eye is probably an option if I thought it help or was nessecary.

2) Probably the most difficult to answer. I think I may have two, possibly three cautions, one of which may have been an arrest about 3 or 4 years ago. I was a student, and in all cases had too much to drink and didnt know any better. All these offences were general public disorder breaches; i.e. being loud and mouthy to Police. I have since become a big boy. I hold down a respectful (yet incredibly annoying) job, have a family and pay my bills on time almost every month.
    How much will this affect me? I have no problem with the Vetting people asking questions just as long as I have a chance to answer them!
    As far as Im aware the Police are exempt from normal retention periods in relation to personal information and data protection. I do know I have a right to this information as long as it does not present a security risk. If I were to exercise that right would it be noted by the PSNI and considered in the recruitment process? What if I were to casually call into a station and discuss my concerns directly?

3) Vetting- As you can probably tell, my application is far from standard. I would love to be in PYGs position but unfortunetly I am not. As a student I had many (10?) address over the course of two years. Although I was only ever registered at home address on the electoral role. I cant remember each of my addresses and the time I was at each. Obviously the CRA files will help me in this but Im worried I might accidently leave something out and shoot myself in the foot so to speak.

Sorry for the billion questions but I have been glemming past posts and cant find anything that directly answers my many questions.
    Any advice would be great because I have none at the minute.
    OMG are you still reading this? You are kind!

Thanks,
    TV <- (Following suit of PYG, MGH, GCBC and co.)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

Hello TV :-)

I'm in the same boat with regards the medical and worried mostly about my eyesight. There was a link posted on a message somewhere on the forum to a website that you can print out an A4 page with an opticians letter chart on it. I think it's 6ft you stand back from it (I stuck mine to my tv) and if you can read the second line down unaided you should be OK. I tried this and can pretty much read the second line, but just about! I will also check with my optician and see what he thinks . My eyesight with lenses/glasses is fine and I can easily read the necessary second line from the bottom of the chart. I will also consider laser surgery if the optician thinks it's needed.

Not sure about the rest though, sorry. I'm a good girl haha.

MBC (thought I'd join in too lol)

P.S. Well done PYG on getting through the assessment centre (and anyone else who has). Mine was supposed to be next Wednesday but I'm off on hols on Tues for a fortnight :-))))) Cannot wait! A/C now on 21 July so plenty of time to worry about it when I get home!

Okay, here goes -

1) Eyesight - it will tell you on Consensias website what the requirements are for the eyesight test. I wear lenses and I took the info to my opticians and asked if I could pass this UNAIDED. She said yes no probs. So do that first then you'll know if you are up sh*t creek with no paddle and a hole in your boat.
    2) Umm cant help you there being a good girl and all but Vetting would call them up. Being a mouthy drunk aint the worst thing in the world.
    3) Dont worry about too any addresses, yes it may slow things up but I have had 6 addresses in 15 years due to ex husband thinking he was Sarah Beeny, i.e. buying houses doing them up and moving on. Not a problem. I know that the RUC did do credit checks on potential recruits and I am not sure if that is still the case. My gut feeling is yes they do.

Hope this helps but please bear in mind this is just my take on things and not gospel! Providing you are not in al queada or have convictions or anything too serious, ie more serious than points or a fine or a caution, you should be okay but again JUST MY TAKE ON THINGS!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the advice about training and I will start some light work in the not too distant future.

I have a few more spanners to throw into the works so here goes;
    1) Medical - Im not worried about my general state of health, I am generally unfit (i.e. I like a few beers, would sooner drive than walk, and unfortunetly I am skilled in the fine art of smoking; all these I can work on) other than this Im a fairly normal person, male early to mid twenties and everything works as it should. However, my biggest concern is my eyesight. I wear glasses. My eyes are quite poor without them. What is the requirment for eyesight (aided) during the medical?
    I have no idea what my eyesight is currently (30/10 or 20/20 or so forth) but I will make an appointment with the eye man to check this out. Lazer eye is probably an option if I thought it help or was nessecary.

2) Probably the most difficult to answer. I think I may have two, possibly three cautions, one of which may have been an arrest about 3 or 4 years ago. I was a student, and in all cases had too much to drink and didnt know any better. All these offences were general public disorder breaches; i.e. being loud and mouthy to Police. I have since become a big boy. I hold down a respectful (yet incredibly annoying) job, have a family and pay my bills on time almost every month.
    How much will this affect me? I have no problem with the Vetting people asking questions just as long as I have a chance to answer them!
    As far as Im aware the Police are exempt from normal retention periods in relation to personal information and data protection. I do know I have a right to this information as long as it does not present a security risk. If I were to exercise that right would it be noted by the PSNI and considered in the recruitment process? What if I were to casually call into a station and discuss my concerns directly?

3) Vetting- As you can probably tell, my application is far from standard. I would love to be in PYGs position but unfortunetly I am not. As a student I had many (10?) address over the course of two years. Although I was only ever registered at home address on the electoral role. I cant remember each of my addresses and the time I was at each. Obviously the CRA files will help me in this but Im worried I might accidently leave something out and shoot myself in the foot so to speak.

Sorry for the billion questions but I have been glemming past posts and cant find anything that directly answers my many questions.
    Any advice would be great because I have none at the minute.
    OMG are you still reading this? You are kind!

Thanks,
    TV <- (Following suit of PYG, MGH, GCBC and co.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M

Just a video I thought I would share, its not related to joining the police, but might interest some people. It might put things into perspective for everyone stressing about getting in etc and for those who are bitter about the past and are determined to keep bringing it up, it shows that nothing is as important as it seems and we are all living in a strange place!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M

Just a video I thought I would share, its not related to joining the police, but might interest some people. It might put things into perspective for everyone stressing about getting in etc and for those who are bitter about the past and are determined to keep bringing it up, it shows that nothing is as important as it seems and we are all living in a strange place!

OOf. Deep. Mellow. Dude. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wanalaugh

Goodcop, are you sure you dont just wana be an astronaut lol
    What a video, i ve just climbed down of the roof after the wife talked me down. She told me not to worry, that it was just a video lol

Good one kido

Anyword yet for the August intake for the C13'ers.
    We may get word this week....fingers double crossed.
    The posts on here are getting better, its a pity they were'nt about back in 2001 when i started trying lol

Wanalaugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

Would it be this week they ring people? Who knows, someone is bound to hear soon anyway, fingers crossed is right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

Hiya

1) Med: If you have concerns over your fitness, don't sit around and wait for the med, fail, and then moan. Do something today, tomorrow is too late. 'Get up and fight' (Rocky!)

2) Speak with the Citizens Advice Bureau. They will advise you about the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and what may affect your app. To be honest, I don't think anyone on here will be able to answer specifically whether these minor incidents will affect you.

3) Don't worry about vetting. I've lived in 5 countries in 10 years. It may take time, but if you pass the AC and have a reasonable merit score PSNI will hold open a place indefinately (pending vetting ;))

Hope this helps in some way.

On week 5 you must do and pass a physical assesment which is a 5k run and must be done in under 35 mins!

Hi All

5k in 35 mins? No way :eek: That's 3 miles in 35 mins then. The average human walks at 3mph. So, being only twice walking pace, it's not exactly Paula Radcliffe standards is it? I am honestly shocked the standard is so low.
    All you guys and gals already training, you are ahead of the game. Passing training is hard enough, getting fit at the same time is an added pressure. Your personal fitness is something you can do now, it's a no brainer. Below is a link to the Runners World magazine website training page. It has loads of useful info. All I would add is do some resistance training (weights) and core stability exercises (abs & lower back) to keep you strong all over.
    Svelt gods/godessess here we come :D

www.runnersworld.co.uk/defaulttraining.asp?sp=&v=3

Mrs GH, Think we might start calling you Paula ;)

Later peeps

Late bird or early worm??!!! :D

Couldnt sleep for some bizarro reason, and thats the problem with wireless you can clamber into bed with your laptop and before you know it you've spent £300 on shoes at 3 a.m.!!!!!:D

Was worried that sleep deprivation may have caused me to ramble on a bit in that post but I quite surprised myself, was quite coherent!!!!:p

£300 on shoes :eek: And I bet that was only 1 pair :D You'll get free ones at Garnerville you know, Ha Ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SFMCC

HI
    Just joined today but have been reading the posts for a few weeks.
    I applied for the June 07 campaign and passed initial exams and had vetting started december 07, medical march 08 which I passed and was contacted by vetting on the 8th may asking for photos of my two tattoos(normal boring and not visible) - I haven't heard anything since. I have read about merit scoring, when do you get these? And do you think I have still a chance? A friend applied at the same time and hasn't heard anything since medical was passed in feb 08.
    I have applied again and passed the first test and have role plays again in June 08 but don't want to go if I am in with this campaign.
    Appreciate any information
    SFMCC

SFMCC wrote: »
    HI
    Just joined today but have been reading the posts for a few weeks.
    I applied for the June 07 campaign and passed initial exams and had vetting started december 07, medical march 08 which I passed and was contacted by vetting on the 8th may asking for photos of my two tattoos(normal boring and not visible) - I haven't heard anything since. I scored 45 out of 70 and have read about merit scoring, when do you get these? And do you think I have still a chance? A friend applied at the same time and hasn't heard anything since medical was passed in feb 08.
    I have applied again and passed the first test and have role plays again in June 08 but don't want to go if I am in with this campaign.
    Appreciate any information
    SFMCC

Hi and welcome,

You should phone recruitment (02890 650222 Ext 24387) to ask for your merit number and if your vetting is near completion. Again, as has been posted on numerous occasions, your application is in the lap of gods (well psni to be precise ;)) It now depends on your vetting, your merit number and your background. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭surfrunner

JVB wrote: »
    Hi All

5k in 35 mins? No way :eek: That's 3 miles in 35 mins then. The average human walks at 3mph. So, being only twice walking pace, it's not exactly Paula Radcliffe standards is it? I am honestly shocked the standard is so low.
    All you guys and gals already training, you are ahead of the game. Passing training is hard enough, getting fit at the same time is an added pressure. Your personal fitness is something you can do now, it's a no brainer. Below is a link to the Runners World magazine website training page. It has loads of useful info. All I would add is do some resistance training (weights) and core stability exercises (abs & lower back) to keep you strong all over.
    Svelt gods/godessess here we come :D

www.runnersworld.co.uk/defaulttraining.asp?sp=&v=3

Later peeps

I think you are right JVB. 35 mins to complete 3.2 mile is a reasonable enough target. If people follow the about link and complete the training they would be able to achieve it in 8 weeks comfortably. I followed the training and completed my first 5k in 24mins.

Once you get bit by the running bug its hard to stop!!!. Good luck to all in forthcoming AC's. Mines on 23/6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SFMCC

Cheers for the info. I will try that this afternoon. I'm sure they won't be to please with people phoning.
    SFMCC

Hi peeps

The thing about the getting fit aspect etc is..........Once in Garnerville you train a couple of times a week. People seem to forget that they will be doing a year and a half law course in 6 months. So trying to get fit in Garnerville will put them under immense pressure, what with studying and course work etc etc. Simple thing - Get the physical stuff done now.......Your recovery rate in Garnerville will be a lot quicker - You wont get beasted ....'as much' lol and it will make you feel more confident also during your role plays etc. Remember .....Fit in the body = Fit in the mind.

Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 lady_vi

Don't quote me on this but I heard letters and phone calls for Aug intake will be going out next week.
    I've just read a post stating someone had to send photos of their tattoos in, is this standard for everyone? I haven't been asked yet which means my vetting is probably no where near complete. Boooo!
    Good luck to all those waiting for Aug intake oh and good luck to AC C14ers, might see a few of yous there on Monday.

lady_vi wrote: »
    I've just read a post stating someone had to send photos of their tattoos in, is this standard for everyone? I haven't been asked yet which means my vetting is probably no where near complete. Boooo!

No Lady Vi not standard. Vetting is a very personal part of the process. I wasn't asked for photo's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Chris86

Hey folks,

Was browsing about while in work for some sort of help to pass the roleplay stage, which i'm doing on Fri:(
    It will be my 2nd attempt and I'm nervous as hell:eek:

what is everyone doing to prepare? Is anyone here going to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Scania580

I made a mess of my IRT.So i have a year to get fit before i can apply again.If you are not used of taking regular excercise its a real pain but i think the thought of it is usually worse than actually doing it.
    Anyone else on here sit the test in the clarion on may 15th?
    I made a fatal error by not watching the clock,and got less than half the 1st paper finished.My miserable score of 33 says it all.
    I also need to get my eyes done! I wanted to join the gardai but their test is fairly strict 6/9 6/12.When i went for it in 1984 there was no lazer available,and when it was available in the 1990s they told me they wouldnt accept it! By the time they did accept it ,i was too old.
    Anyone considering eye surgery for the psni,remember you must have had it done at least 6 weeks prior to the medical and even then,they wont promise to accept it!I was told they will look at every case individually.:rolleyes:

Hi guys
    Just a note to say that Ive been informed that the calls may be this week. Its a pity they dont give you more notice, 6 weeks etc isnt much time to get things in order. I just hope they do get in contact, i couldnt wait anymore time. If i do, then i think ill leave the pleace we call the blue dot lol (GCBC).....
    Also, 35 mins to do 3 miles seems fair enough. In teh army we used to have to do the first 1.5 miles as a squad in 15mins, then the second 1.5miles in your best personal time (but no longer than 10.5 mins). So that allowing 11 1/2 mins per mile. Saying that, the only thing is im no spring chicken now lol.

wanalaugh

Later peeps

I much prefer Harold. But only on the weekends!:p

• Advertisement

£300 on shoes :eek: And I bet that was only 1 pair :D You'll get free ones at Garnerville you know, Ha Ha

Yes dahling but are they Dior???????????????:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement