Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI Recruitment (Archived)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

What may have happened in Carlty’s case is that they predicted she would score high enough to be recruited so she then advanced to the next stage.

Hey,

Less of the "she" pal. It's kinda emasculating. My wife wouldn't appreciate that. Hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 colt19

Hi everyone, i have just been reading all the info here, very informative. i am also at the waiting stage now, i past a/c stage and been given merit number in late 300's. but still havent got even a date for medical. all my vetting was completed just before christmas, but really anxious at the not knowing now.
    congrats to everyone who has got through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭MartinC2006

LOL!

Sorry, I'm not with it today. I have no idea why I assumed you where a women :D

Colt when you say your vetting was completed, do you mean the form or the process?

My medical form came about 3 weeks after I sent off the vetting forms. If you sent the forms around Christmas you'll hopefully hear word soon I would think.

Martin.

sorry i completed the forms at christmas, but im optimistic that the vetting will be fine. so ill probably hear soon about medical, hopefully. does anyone know how much notice they give u before u r due too start? im just thinkin a little bit ahead of myself.
    what i was reading about people getting 'dear john' letters does that mean out of the 900 in the merit pool they are already tellin some people in the pool that they are unsuccessful? is this right

Colt, it would appear thats correct yes.
    I got one months notice, but it may be different every intake, I'm not sure.

Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

rang psni again today, still no information on me in their system, so no merit number

Rang consensia straight away and was told the campaign is still on going and they have yet to update the psni, and that things are on time as planned and will be carried out in due time, and to be patient.

????

Goodcopbadcop,

Very strange, I don't know what to tell you. It would seem obvious that the merit pool is complete as people are being vetted/getting medicals and many have confirmed placings.

I also find it trange the PSNI cannot find you on their system, did you give them your UID?

Martin.

very strange indeed, yep gave them my UID and they said nothing coming up for it, i will double check its correct, i assume i gave them the right one cause consensia asked for it too and said they have me on theirs.

he did say on the phone that if i havent heard anything then im still in the running. Whatever he means by that i dont know. at this point all i can assume is that i will be getting a dear john letter very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭justaquestion

goodcopbadcop,

i think its better not to beat around the bush here. going by what ive read i think its pretty obvious you will be getting a dear john letter. i think the psni only have people in the top 900 on their system which would be why consentia can find you and they cant. consentia told me their part in selection process is over. they are waiting on word from psni so they can give out letters. i think its better to start thinking about next time which should be five months away max.
    sorry to seem blunt

justaquestion

beginning to think the dear john is coming but to be honest if it is, i feel a little cheated, i passed the test and gave pretty decent go at it, would think i would have made it to the merit list to be honest, but thats life.

• Advertisement

I thought you passed the Ac and got the 4 week letter though?
    That being the case you should at least have merit pool number.

If it does turn out that you've not been successful, learn from the experience and come back stronger.

Martin.

goodcopbadcop when was ur a/c mine was really late 29th october and i still have no medical date, so was ur a/c after mine, if it was there is still hope

My AC was 1st October and it took about 11 weeks to get a letter saying i had passed, just slightly over the 6 weeks i was told it would be.

After such a long wait i was relieved to have passed but now it seems it may all have been for nothing.. still its not over til the fat lady sings!

martin from i what i gathered, consentia had a backlog and simply sent all candidates that passed, the 4 week letter. these names were given to psni but only 900 made it to merit list. also apparently less than 700 are being given medicals (440 plus wastage). so not all 4 week guys got vetting forms. i know a few guys who got letter at same time as me but they are no longer being considered. oh ye congrats on getting in. im around the 350 mark with the RC thing backing me so hope to get in by april may.

I had hoped the RC thing would help me in getting in but seems to have made no difference, ah well if i dont get in at least i still have my youth and university life to continuel. to be 19 ...... ahhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭uncleneilly

did someone at recruitment tell you there is a chance that being rc you may get in april or may,im in the 200 - 250 merit and they told me it wasn`t a guarantee i would be offered a place,im also rc(though i didn`t mention that to them)
    to JUSTAQUESTION

no they didnt tell me anything about it. Hope thats true though, would mean i might still get offerered a place. Just wait and see

Justaquestion, I see now. I had thought that only 900 passed
    the AC and didn't consider that they only took the top 900 to the next stage.

Uncleneilly, with that placing you'll be in for sure if you pass the vetting/medical, its just a question of when surely? Same would go for Justaquestion I would think. My partner is well below this and I still think shes in with a shot in the 600's.

Goodcopbadcop, as Justaquestion pointed out, if the PSNI have no record of you it would appear you didn't make the top 900. Of course it could be an admin error but I doubt it. If worst comes to worst learn from it and get in next time!

Martin.

uncleneilly

the first question i asked was "being number 3** in the merit list, am i guaranteed a place if i pass medical", to which she replied, "not necessarily".

i then rephrased the question and asked "being number 3** from a RC background, would i be offered a place if i passed the medical. she replied "yes".

worked it out as follows

lets say im around 350

wastage should put this number down to around 300. being rc i should be in the top 150 roman catholics. january feb march april may JUNE(50 per intake)

just realised it should be june not may

just my opinion, could be totally different

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭mic

I should be just finishing my inital training at the end of June hopefully. Lads, don't worry about it too much. I was in much the same boat last year, if you don't get it this time it'll just make you hungrier for it next time.

goodcopbadcop

that post shows you dont really have the right attitude. possibly why you didnt score high enough in assessment centre

'justaquestion', just to let u know there is an intake every 5 weeks of 50 people, im in bout the same position as u, im in mid 300's and from r/c backgroud. my vetting is done but still havent got a medical date. really anxious to start but im thinking it will be more like september time when i worked it out.

Goodcopbadcop, you’re understandably annoyed but your doing yourself no favours. Regardless if you passed the AC you where never getting placed as you didn’t finish in the top 900 (if this turns out to be the case). That is the point of the new system, only those who have a chance of getting in go through the medical/vetting.

Justaquestion & Colt, It’s surely not quite as simple as the higher you finish, the sooner you start. If that was the case Mic and myself should have been in the first intake. A lot will depend on what stage you are through the process. Assuming you have passed the vetting/medical you may well start before someone who finished higher but hasn’t been vetted or passed the medical yet.

Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lisnsooz

Justaquestion & Colt, It’s surely not quite as simple as the higher you finish, the sooner you start. If that was the case Mic and myself should have been in the first intake. A lot will depend on what stage you are through the process. Assuming you have passed the vetting/medical you may well start before someone who finished higher but hasn’t been vetted or passed the medical yet.

Martin.

This is true - I have to wait for the GS to do my vetting, and psni (mod on this forum) said that it took them months to pass his, so I could be looking at that too. Has been 3 months so far (and I was finished the AC/Med 2.5 months ago). I'm hoping to get in about May/June going by merit list number, but if my vetting takes up to a year, then there is the outside chance I could be looking at being carried into the next campaign :eek: - I think that's only if am v unlucky tho. Am staying positive ;)

• Advertisement

got another letter from consensia today, saying that due to admin changes they will not contact me any further and that the psni will next be in touch to inform me of the rest of the recruitment.. anyone get this letter what does it mean

COLT19

just got my medical date today actually but its in just ten days eeek
    should be fine though. partner cant help herself making jokes about certain fingers in certain areas.
    i dont think it would be september. apparently not a lot of catholics are in merit list, as they dont have enough ac experience. for all we know we could be in the top 100 catholics which would make us start before others m ay.

just happy to get medical date really
    im sure yours will be along soon colt19

justaquestion

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

got another letter from consensia today, saying that due to admin changes they will not contact me any further and that the psni will next be in touch to inform me of the rest of the recruitment.. anyone get this letter what does it mean

It means that they got their act together, found your details, and are passing them on to Recruitment.

Keep the head together OK? ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

apparently not a lot of catholics are in merit list, as they dont have enough ac experience

To my knowledge, that information hasn't been publically released yet. What is your source on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭mic

Wishful thinking? :)

• Advertisement

It really is all guess work but I think justaquestion might be right.

A while back someone mentioned to me that there was a shortage of Catholics in the merit pool, at the time I took this to be hearsay. They also mentioned several people from old campaigns where contacted and offered training all from an RC background to fill up the numbers, again I took it as hear say. Recently Jim has confirmed there are people on his intake from old campaigns, we don’t however know their background but it does seem strange? I also know someone from a non RC background who has had the dear john letter with no vetting/medical, yet scored higher in the merit pool than my partner who has completed both. She may well be wastage but it does indicate that there are less RC applicants in the merit pool than non RC. Historically there are more non RC people in the merit pool so it’s not beyond belief that numbers could be low on a double intake in my opinion

At this point nothing can be done so settle back, chill out and what will be will be!
    Good luck to everyone awaiting for news, I hope you get what your looking for.

PSNI, you mentioned earlier you had some useful information that may help in Garnerville. Could I maybe get that off you at some point?
    Also any advice/tips would be greatly welcomed. I’d love to do some pre reading done to get into the swing of things.

Martin.

mic wrote: »
    I agree to a point, but I would say more Protestant and other candidates would be scoring higher in the AC, passing the initial due to experience i.e having done the tests maybe a few times. I think it will take Catholic applicants a few years to catch up. I've heard of Protestant applicants trying the test 6, 7, 8 times but never Catholics.

not so much a source psni as a person. thats why i said apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Ethan321

Goodcopbadcop, got the same letter today, i think its just consensia finishing off their bits an pieces and letting us know that the next stages are being handled by the psni.
    As we know the psni have all year to take student officers in to the college so i dont see the point in thinking too much about it as you will go stir crazy thinking about it lol.
    As we see from the info that Jim has supplied about the first intake of this year, some people from previous campaigns have been contacted and given a start....bet you it was a nice shock for them to receive a call from recruitment.:eek::D

Ethan have you got no word on medical or vetting either? Well at least someone else got the same letter as me, maybe its not all bad. Good advice there, not really thinking about it anymore what will be will be.

Its worth popping in and out mate just to see how things sre going for others but it can take a while for alot of us.
    Done medical and vetting back in november, bout 3rd week but the hold up is that i had additional info to supply for med so it can take a while to process it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 brando08

Should rename this thread goodcopbadcop! Mate face it you are not getting in, so rather than boring everyone to death you should start thinking about the next recruitment. Sorry mate but i am sure most will agree with me.

thanks for your input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jerrry3

I got the same Consensia letter today. I completed my medical way back at the end of October. Im sure the letter is nothing to worry about 'Goodcop' , unless of course everyone who get letters today, get 'Dearjohn' letters in a few weeks !!! Lol . Although strangely enough, much like Ethan (who also received a letter today) I also had to
    supply more information regarding a potential problem found on the day of the medical. Mmmmmm .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭uncleneilly

i got same letter today jerry but when i phoned last week recruitment told me i had been passed medically fit for duty and im not too bad on merit list either so i dont think it`s anything to worry about,consensia dont seem to be doing as much this campaign,in previous campaigns they done the medical whereas psni are doing it this year so maybe psni are taking over the admin as well(as letter said)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jerrry3

Nice one uncleneilly, feel better after hearing that. Cheers M8.

• Advertisement

It must be a standard letter, I got one as well.

Brando, your only input to this thread has been to attack other people. If you have nothing constructuve to post why post at all?

Ethan have you had any word at all about the medical? hope all is well.

Martin.

Nothing about the medical yet Martin, at this stage of things though so early in the year its possible ive been set to the side until they get time to make a decision, which i dont mind, better them making a thoughtful decision rather than just maybe dicounting me for example.

And goodcopbadcop, while you havent received a dear john letter there is still a chance so dont discount yourself yet.

As for your comments Brando, it kinda shows that goodcop actualy has qualities suited to the job by not being drawn in by your unfounded abrasive comment:rolleyes:

Ethan you’re probably right.

I was also waiting word if you recall but I think the main difference being mine was a simple yes/no answer. That’s why I only had ten days to get back to them and in return I got a quick outcome.
    What I think may be happening in your case is more of a risk assessment. They’ll be confident that your Doctor believes your fit but they need to make a decision based on some guess work, i.e. whether or not you’ll have back problems again. I personally think you’ll be grand with the evidence of the running and not being off work so long related to the problem so hopefully you’ll get word soon.

Good luck, I hope all goes well.

Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Brando08 I don't see why you think it's ok to bait a candidate who may not be successful. It amounts to personal attack/abuse and is not acceptable.

If that's all you've got to contribute I strongly suggest that you don't bother.

Anyone else has a problem with inappropriate posts please make use of the report post feature.
    Please do not get involved in personal exchanges on thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭alanbelfast

Hope everyone is well and had a good xmas. I have not been on at all but still been checking on yas the odd time. Glad so many of yas are doing well and have been accepted or almost there. I am still waiting on my medical, My vetting should almost be atan end now hopefully. I submitted it on 21st i think it was of november. All being well end of jan i would love some good news.
    Anyway i am sure il be back on again soon, I am just glad that i got myself out of getting so worked up over the 'waiting game'.
    Martin lins jim psni etc etc .........Hopefully see u guys soon
    Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 brando08

Sorry everyone but the fella obviously has been unsuccessfull, and i do feel bad for people who really want it that bad, but i feel alot of people on this board are giving the fella false hope. Of course i would love to hear from him telling everyone he got a place in the merit pool, but from reading the posts that is not going to happen. Sorry if i come across like a **** but just being honest. Looking forward to starting myself since this is my 4th time applying so goodcop i know exactly how you feel.

brando08 wrote: »
    Sorry everyone but the fella obviously has been unsuccessfull, and i do feel bad for people who really want it that bad, but i feel alot of people on this board are giving the fella false hope. Of course i would love to hear from him telling everyone he got a place in the merit pool, but from reading the posts that is not going to happen. Sorry if i come across like a **** but just being honest. Looking forward to starting myself since this is my 4th time applying so goodcop i know exactly how you feel.

At this stage, nobody really knows where they are because Consensia seem to be overloaded, and so do Recruitment. I've heard of people getting in at the last minute because of administrative delays, vetting delays, medical report delays, and so on.

I don't see anything wrong with being supportive and encouraging while people are waiting on news back, and even if it's not good news for him this time around, there's still no reason to be abrasive. You're going to be a police officer some day hopefully. You will be in situations where diplomacy, tact and sensitivity will be required at any time of the day or night.

There are ways of "being honest" with someone without looking like you're kicking them while they're down, or falling down.

Hello Alan,

I'm glad your doing well and in good sorts.

You should give psni recruitment a call and get your merit pool placing. This will hopefully give you some degree of relief, it did for me! :D

Good luck.

Martin.

I know a guy down the road from me who heard nothing until last week he got a vetting form, so anything is possible. Dont think anyone knows for sure what is going on, alot of speculation.

I know from what i have posted it looks like i have been unsuccessful, but i have not got a dear john letter as of yet, so want to keep as positive as i can. Those of you who want to say I have failed and am boring well thats fine too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It's never over till the fat lady sings. Boring is posting in Accountancy. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement