Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment (Archived)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭MartinC2006

I'm just thinking.

The Doctor has referred me on my blood pressure. Does that indicate I passed everything else? The reason I ask is in relation to the spirometer test.

The Nurse gave me 3 attempts so I wasn't sure if I was doing it right. I had a quick look at the instruments display and it appeared my output was well within the range being displayed but I don't know what that range was indicating apart from me being in the middle of something.

The Doctor also kept asking about my Neurofibromatosis. Several times at different points she asked about family history, am I keeping an eye on the lumps etc. There was a letter from the surgical consultant and a note from my GP indicating all was well but could she bin me on this if she didn't like it?

Really what I'm asking is it standard procedure to get follow up's on anything the Doctor does like or could they simply bin me on a whim? If this was the case would they even bother referring me for the BP?

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but there you have it!

lisnsooz wrote: »
    My Dad is trying meditating at the moment so he can come off his blood pressure medication! At least it makes you calmer :-)

Alan: pretty handy with the eyes - I thought I had failed mine for sure as couldn't even read all the 2nd line with my crappy right eye, but seems I must have guessed correctly as I passed it in the end.

Has anyone rung Consensia/PSNI to find out when the merit list (or whatever it's called) is being publicised to us? Jim mentioned it should be mid-Dec - anyone get theirs yet?

Lisnsooz if I recall you had a problem with the Spirometer also?

Did you get word back about your medical?

Martin.

Never mind I seen you got through :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lisnsooz

Lisnsooz if I recall you has a problem with the Spirometer also?

Did you get word back about your medical?

Martin.

Martin - I won't even tell you what I did in the spirometer test it was so stupid, but suffice to say that a half lunged person could have done better than me if they did the test properly. And both the nurse and doc brought it up that my result was useless (I kept sitting there going - "I don't understand - I do a lot of running so my lungs seem fine!"). In the heel of the hunt, I passed everything tho - got my results back a couple weeks ago.

My sis is a GP, and when I said to her about the spirometer she told me not to worry as she personally wouldn't have thought that test would be a major indicator of certain lung issues. She said she never scores very highly in them - whatever it is they test - and she would be in reasonably good condition.

But at the end of the day, it all boils down to whatever it is they are looking for. They have to fill two criteria - you're medically fit for the job and you'll do for the pension board. They did say in my letter that I needed to be as fit for the next 5 years.

Lis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭alanbelfast

Martin thanx for ur reply.
    Tthey dont tell you anything on the day of the medical.Last time i asked during it and they said its unprofessional to say and that i wud rec word in about a week. then i got a letter saying u failed eyesite thing. so had to go to the consultant and get proper test done which i passed. then they said thats the end of that matter. next thing i failed the vet as didnt disclose driving with no mot 8 years previous. a complete oversight.
    I would say if he told u to get a letter from gp about ur bp then everyuthing else must be grand mate. dont see y they wud lead ya up the garden path on one thing and fail ya on somthing else/. last time i did spectrometer i did it twice. u do it as hard out and then keep it going until they say stop. u have to make it untill the end of the graph. a reading of less than 80 per cent on spec is abnormmal so if ya had above this then should be grand mate...........and no still no word on my med forms. im sitting here by the door anxiously waiting lol

Really what I'm asking is it standard procedure to get follow up's on anything the Doctor does like or could they simply bin me on a whim? If this was the case would they even bother referring me for the BP?

So did you get the results back from your med and they said about the BP? Or did the doc say they want more info? Basically, BP can be a problem in any walk of life. It's a big problem in my Dad's family cos several relatives have had strokes and brain haemorrhages etc etc, but for me personally, my BP tends to be normal or even low.

If you're a smoker or have a family history of high BP/blood problems, it could mean you're more open to a higher risk of artery/heart problems down the line (which is a major Irish problem either way - blame our super genes and dietry habits :rolleyes:!) and whatever about the job - the pension ppl might have a problem with it. That's why I'm saying - because you are trying to keep two different boards happy (PSNI and pension) it's difficult to know what exactly they're looking for!

• Advertisement

imdead curious lol..............what did ya do in the spir test??? go on tell all...........cheer upour day.....o and incase yas are wondering the spcae bar on thislaptop is buggered.....spilt wine on it sat nite lol

seapark martin. in carrick?
    does that mean the psni are doing the meds? why is consensia not doing this part again.

imdead curious lol..............what did ya do in the spir test??? go on tell all...........cheer upour day.....o and incase yas are wondering the spcae bar on thislaptop is buggered.....spilt wine on it sat nite lol

haha - ok - instead of blowing into it - I, basically, exhaled into it. And I know! I've done these before, but I was totally stressed over the imminent eye sight: nurse hands me this yoke with a wide bulbous thing at the end (usually it's a tube), my brain interpreted it as having to fill a wide vessel and thus exhaled (as that's wider than blowing).

She was busy looking at the graph going 'keep going...kepp going' not looking at what I was actually doing when she would have seen instantly was wrong. After the first go we discussed how to improve things with me saying logiacally it wasn't possible to do it long because the technique (exhaling) requires one outburst if you want to hit it hard (seriously - try it!). And then she went back to willing the graph higher whilst I practially asphyxiated in the chair next to her.

And thus was my failed spirometer experience.

I did get into negative frequencies with my hearing tho - so whilst I have crap eye sight, as the GR doctor said - I could hear the grass grow....

Lis'illogical logic'nsooz

lol. yeah the time did did the spir text i was so dizzy after it.......ur right u almost pass out lol.
    i am dreading the hearing as the booth is never soundproof and u can hear ur gulps as martin has said u hear ur heart beat u hear the blooming nurse outside moving about and between all this u gota hear a bleep or blurp lol. i wonder is there a failin the heariong test. i have good hearing though i always find them things diff.
    so lisn..........u got the pass on the med.....do u no y psni are doing it this time at carrick? and did they say ur now in the pool etc

gr doctor???? o my god im just realizing ur going for the gards...whoops greatdetective me lol

• Advertisement

lisnsooz wrote: »
    haha - ok - instead of blowing into it - I, basically, exhaled into it. And I know! I've done these before, but I was totally stressed over the imminent eye sight: nurse hands me this yoke with a wide bulbous thing at the end (usually it's a tube), my brain interpreted it as having to fill a wide vessel and thus exhaled (as that's wider than blowing).

She was busy looking at the graph going 'keep going...kepp going' not looking at what I was actually doing when she would have seen instantly was wrong. After the first go we discussed how to improve things with me saying logiacally it wasn't possible to do it long because the technique (exhaling) requires one outburst if you want to hit it hard (seriously - try it!). And then she went back to willing the graph higher whilst I practially asphyxiated in the chair next to her.

And thus was my failed spirometer experience.

I did get into negative frequencies with my hearing tho - so whilst I have crap eye sight, as the GR doctor said - I could hear the grass grow....

Lis'illogical logic'nsooz

You know the more I think of it, thats what I did!
    The thing was huge, it felt like a scuba diving thing :confused:

The Nurse kept saying keep going, going, going etc but there was nothing left after the first few seconds. She didn't say I had failed it she just gave me 3 goes and moved on. Do you think they would have let me know if it was poo?

I did ok in the hearing, again the nurse didn't say but I was well into the negative with both ears apart from one point on the left ear when I dropped to the high end of normal on the graph. It was right at the end when she walked in and I was still pressing the button as I thought there was noise :D

The hearing test isn't too bad. Just try and breath quietly try from your mouth as opposed to your nose and hold your gulps cos that is linked to your ears - hence the loud noise when you gulp and your ears are covered! You don't hear anything else from outside the booth from what I recall. I don't know the ins and outs either - but I looked it up in wikipedia to see (cos during my test, the printer connection fell over and as we had to sit and wait for a technician to fix it, I got to have a good gawk at what my results were like:fab in right ear - within normal range for left ear but I had fluid in my eustachian tube so expected that it wouldn't be as good as the right ear).

You should be able to hear certain freqs depending on your age apparently. Higher freqs you don't hear the older you get and so there are ranges you should come within depending on your age (hence the desire to blast high freq noise outside areas where they don't want young ppl to loiter around - the oldie adults won't be affected by it in theory).

sure ya keep hearing the beeps amyway even though they stop.
    do ya know y psni did the med and not consensia. i think u did fine in it martin. just get thebp down.......say to ur doc u were nrvous and u ran into the med........and u ran into her surgery aswell lol.

do ya know y psni did the med and not consensia.

Yep - it was in Seapark. I got lost on the way up there (Cork girl) but the high walls and fortification gave me some clues as I drove passed in my car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Ethan321

I think psni occ health are doin medicals this time to help speed things up as there is a larger than normal intake this year,but could be wrong Alan.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭justaquestion

hi guys,

dont mean to put a blanket on everyones christmas, but thought everyone should know this.
    i spoke to psni recruitment line today. i asked for a timescale on when people would find out their merit pool number. she said they had the list but it would not be available until after christmas. thats not it. she also specifically said that even if you are in the merit pool, you will not necessarily get a medical appointment, which annoys me as i assumed that if i was in merit pool i would definitely have to go through medical and vetting.

any responses welcome as i am very frustrated at this info.

justa question

That seems a little messed up?

My understanding was you didn't enter the merit pool until you passed the medical and vetting?

Unless they are doing the medicals/vetting in rank order where possible and when the required amount of people are through they'll stop?

That certainly wasn't my understanding of how it worked but it would I guess it would save them money if there was a huge amount of people who passed.

There appears to be a lot of conflicting information so I think it all has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Things to consider are;

Alan was told that people would not get a medical until they pass the vetting stage. Is this related to only giving medicals to the top people in rank order?

Was it Jim that said the PSNI wanted to see the pass results before medical/vetting stage started? Was this to put people in rank order and guestimate how many medicals they need to do to get x amount of people?

In any case it’s all guess work at this point. I wish everyone well and try not to stress over Christmas, what will be will be.

On a plus note for myself I've been monitoring my BP over the past few days and with breathing exercises its averaging 135/85. I hope it stays that way when I visit my GP tomorrow and that's low enough for Occ Health (all be it its still a tad high)

Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 KEPETI

am i suppose to expect a reply from the occ health centre as to whether i have passed my medical or not?
    i completed it on 8th November, although also i had to send of extra medical information within a four week period which i did do.

If, but, why, where, when, how! :p

I think we should just enjoy Christmas and relax, If your high enough up that list and medicaly fit, then hey you should get in some time next year, if not then life will continue, and you will move on.
    Ive heard nothing in over 2 weeks from my medical one way or the other so its just a case of take it as it comes.
    And keep your chin up people, by getting through the assessment centre you have already shown you have skills to be seriously considered so be proud of that no matter waht happens next;)

Kepeti your in pretty much the same boat as me, i had additional info to submit, and done my original medical sometime around the 19th nov, But as yet have heard nothing, dunno wether we are set to the side to reassess at some point when they get time, but sure we will know in due course.
    If i fail medical only question i will want to know is it something that can be rectified?:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭mickey2186

Ethan,

It was me who mentioned the fact that PSNI wanted to have a look at the results.

At the AC the girl told us not to expect any correspondance for at least six weeks due to the PSNI wanting to have a look and also told us that if we had passed to expect the vetting forms. In my case these actually arrived on their own before I got any further info from Consensia.

At this stage I believe they are still trying to top up the campaign 12 intake for Jan (I phoned them again and was told that campaign 12 was still not 100% sorted), so I think the main bulk of campaign 13 will start Feb onwards.......well I hope that is the case!!

BTW I assume that everyone here received the vetting forms prior to getting a medical date?? Did everone also receive a letter from Consensia at the same time as the vetting forms stating they had passed or did the 'you have passed' letter come with the medical date??

Cheers.

Mickey2186

mickey2186 wrote: »
    BTW I assume that everyone here received the vetting forms prior to getting a medical date?? Did everone also receive a letter from Consensia at the same time as the vetting forms stating they had passed or did the 'you have passed' letter come with the medical date??

Cheers.

Mickey2186

Just looking back over my details:
    - 19 Oct - got letter to say I passed assessment - here's a bunch of vetting forms to fill out...
    - I think I returned that about the 22nd/23rd
    - And I think I got the 'you've a medical' letter about the 25th cos I was away for 10 days after that and I recall having to plot my day off from work during that time :D

Either way - they came separately as far as I remember cos both times there was a bunch of papers that had to be filled in.

Lis

Thanks Lisnsooz,

How many weeks did it take between you doing the AC and getting the vetting forms??

Did you do your AC in September??

I would imagine it's only the vetting holding you up at this point!!!

Mickey2186.

I got my vetting forms 5 weeks after the AC.
    Medical forms came 3 weeks after.
    Medical was 10 days after that (Monday past).
    In between the medical forms and medical I got a letter saying congrats you passed the AC like everyone else.

Also consider Jim was campaign 13 not 12 and he's started in January. From that I gather the time from him getting his vetting forms to being offered training was just over a month?

Martin.

Martin,

I was similar to you with regards to the vetting forms, however still haven't a medical date yet....I am still not too sure if my previous medical pass earlier this year will count for this campaign or not!!!

I still believe that they are trying to top up campaign 12 by using some candidates from 13 as I have been told that intake for that is still ongoing.

My letter in June said I would know by Feb 2008, so I would assume that is the final cut off for 12 and the beginning of 13.

In Jim's case either he was at the top of the pool or simply lucky enough to have gone through the system early enough although I suspect it was probably both....so once again well done Jim!!

Mickey2186

Please clear this up for me before i go insane - candidates from campaign 13 are being selected for training that took place in campaign 12, so will there still be a number of candidates selected for training for campaign 13.
    This ''Jim'' you talk of, i assume he took part in campign 13 and has got word thats he is to begin his training. Yes/No

Just for anybody's curiosity: i i completed my assesmnet centre on 1st Oct, got notice in form of vetting forms on 19th Oct, a week later got medical forms and questionnaire and after that got letter from consensia to confirm that i had passed. Done my medical on 8th November and last week i got another letter from consensia to say that i had successfully completed the assesment centre.

Still waiting for word from Seapark as to whether i have passed my medical, anyone out there know exactly how long it takes to hear back from them if you;ve passed the medical.

Kepeti, Yes Jim has been offered training starting in January. If you go back a page or two its all there.

Maybe they are short of people for campaign 12, who knows but my understanding was there was 440 places for 13. So that gives everyone a better chance.

Seen the GP this morning, it wasn't a total disaster but not great either.

BP 1 173/99
    BP 2 142/87

Chill out for a few mins

BP 3 139/89
    BP 4 126/85

My GP was just about to sign me off as normal but then decided it would be a good idea to put me on a 24 hour tape to provide "evidence" to occ health that my BP is normal. he said its 100% sure I have white coat hypertension and the tape will show that.

He said not to worry but it's another few days of waiting before I hand the info back to Occ health.

At least now theres nothing more I can do and its time to relax!

Martin.

i take it you have already been to your medical, and this is additional information that was required. i had to provide similar information relating to a low platlet count, i got a resident haematologist to write me off and posted to to them a week before i was supposed to, so this is kinda bugging me to as i don't know if this is still an issue for them.

I was looking for a contact number for seapark but i cannot find one, do you know if they have a public line which we can contact to find out such information??

• Advertisement

Am pretty sure there isnt a public line for Seapark mate as its a private occ health dept. I think we will find there is alot of us having to provide extra info to them.
    As for sequence of receiving forms for vetting, medical etc, mine seems to have been the same as everyone elses give or take a few days.
    As for the results of medical, the question here is will it be seapark or consensia who contact you with results, will they contact you at all to say if you have passed or will they simply tell you at some point that your in the "pool"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement