Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI Recruitment (Archived)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I don't have figures unfortunately. Just what I heard from colleagues in the station who have friends and family trying to get in. If you haven't heard from them in another 2 weeks, give them a call. I just happen to know they need time to get through a pile of paperwork, and the more people that call them, the slower they'll be getting through the paper bit.

Here's hoping you don't get offered a place in training that clashes with your wedding!
    GEMMAT1984 wrote: »
    Thanks psni,

I guess i'll just wait it out and see what happens and keep my fingers crossed! Do you have any idea when the process usually gets wrapped up as i am getting married in July and i really had hoped i would have had some feedback before Feburary as i was unsure whether i could get leave or not.

Are there alot of people out there still waiting on their medical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭GEMMAT1984

LOL i know heres hoping!!!

Thnaks for your help, you've definately put my mind at ease

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

:D Another satisfied customer... :D
    LOL i know heres hoping!!!

Thnaks for your help, you've definately put my mind at ease

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Ethan321

So what your sayin psni is that we wont be getting sunshine and lollipops in the job.....not sure i want it now lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

Long as you havent been told to get on your bike then remain as optimistic as possible but keep hammering on with the rest of your life and assume you are staying in whatever position you are in now until you hear other wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 brando08

Long as you havent been told to get on your bike then remain as optimistic as possible but keep hammering on with the rest of your life and assume you are staying in whatever position you are in now until you hear other wise.

Thats the spirit! :D:D:D:D

So do you know anyone who is still waiting on their medical or is it just me!!! Does this mean i have less a chance of getting in since i haven't been called for medical yet? I sent off my vetting form in november!!

So do you know anyone who is still waiting on their medical or is it just me!!! Does this mean i have less a chance of getting in since i haven't been called for medical yet? I sent off my vetting form in november!!

Im actually worse off than you, i have got no word of medical and still haven't got any vetting forms. Really don't know if its anything to be worried about, I know they are busy sorting things out at the minute, but people have also got letters to say they are not being considered. You could be ok yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭jim2008

Hi, no your not alone, sent off my vetting forms 4 weeks ago and am waiting for my medical myself. Not worrying too much as there is a delay with the paper work. How are you in the merit pool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭mickey2186

I sent my vetting forms off mid November and have my medical this Thurs 31st

Only reason I contaced them was to ensure that my medical date had not gone missing in the post, as the letter I received from Consensia mid November said that I would be contacted 'shortly' by OC...only took two months!!!

I am glad that I did get my 'pool' number, as I know at this stage a successful medical means I will be offered a place.

Just hope the vetting is okay as well!!!!

Mickey2186.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 donalw8

Hello everyone,

I am thinking of joining anyone know when the next campaign for new recruitment will take place?

Donalw8

Donal,

In the past recruitment was twice a year..March & September. Intake was usually 220 (if possible) per campaign.

Last year there was only one campaign in June (they hope to take 440+).

It remains to be seen if the one campaign per year will become the norm as it appears thry are trying to cut admin costs with regards to medicals/vetting etc.

Best thing to do is keep looking at the Consensia website for details.

Regards.

Mickey2186

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Stressing

Hi folks

Wondered if anyone has had word and is waiting on next intakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭justaquestion

hi guys

did my medical today and they (and i) found out i had a mild hearing impairment in relation to high frequency. anyone have a clue how badly this could affect my chances. pretty depressing as im rc and high enough to definitely get in if i pass medical

justaquestion

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wanalaugh

Hi Justaquestion
    Thats the bit i was worried about. ie the hearing test. I have done the medical quite a few times, and everytime they said my hearing was lower than average, however i passed the medical each time. I had asked the question earlier in the forum if anyone knew what the pass was on the hearing, but no one answered and i assume no one knew. Would they not tell you at the medical if you passed the hearing test?

Wanalaugh

They said my right ear was a bit down on where it should be on the day but still passed

Ethan
    Did they tell you on the day you did the medical that you passed, or by letter. If by letter, did they tell you at the time you passed the hearing test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭MartinC2006

Justaquestion, Did you see the score? was it within the red/blue range on the graph? I would think if it was that bad they'd be duty bound to refer you to your GP. Did this happen, if so what did the letter say?

Wanalaugh, in my medical the nurse didn't tell me anything until I prompted her. I asked for a result after every segment and also kept a good eye on her instruments. I got a letter recently telling me I'd passed but by that stage I already knew as I had a call form recruitment.

Anything which is off concern will be brought up by the Doctor, if this didn't happen then you should be fine. If it was and you where reffered you've just got to hope the problem isn't that bad.

Look at me and Ethan, falling apart with bad back's and sky high BP's and we got through.

Good luck.

Martin.

cant remember where it was on the graph. it said on her screen "warning, mild hearing iompairment in both ears" she didnt refer me to doctor. what do u think martin

• Advertisement

Well it’s good that you didn't get a referral, it can't be that bad then.

What did the Occ health Doctor say? did she seem concerned? Did she even mention it at all or was it just the Nurse?

I think if it was bad enough to fail the medical you'd know about it. The Doctor would have been concerned and you'd have been referred to your GP.
    There still exists the possibility that it was so bad that she didn’t need to refer you for a 2nd opinion. If that was the case I think you’d know yourself and the Doctor would have told you to get it checked out for your own benefit.

Bare in mind I don't know that much about the process, this is my first time applying and I'm just giving an opinion.

Martin.

thanks martin.

in a way that does make me feel a bit more optimistic. however the occ health doctor did bring it up after the nurse but didnt refer me. really in limbo here to be honest. worse than before i even did the medical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jam121

hi guys

just joined.....im waiting on my vetting comin through but checked merit mool and im <snip> and rc what intake am i likely to get into?

the vetting is in from 20/10/07!!!

Hi everyone,

Hoping of joining on the next recruitment campaign so I went ahead and got my eyes tested today just to be sure I meet the requirements.
    My vision is 6/38 in the Left eye and 6/5 in my Right eye but I don't need to have glasses. I asked the Optician would I pass the required visions and her words were ''yea that should pass'' not very convincingly.
    I have looked at the requirements on the Consensia website and I don't think I meet them.

Can anyone help me on this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jam121

sorry really cant help ......i didnt look into requirements like that at all

have you ever seen the episode of father ted where jack gets his eyes tested, and the chart just says feck arse feck arse haha its silmilar to that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭alanbelfast

Hi Donal

The eye test is a very strict one. I once did the medical and failed on this part although i had been to 2 differnt opticians for tests prior to medical and they both agredd i was well within the standards.
    So once i failed the medical on this i asked for a review and they asked me to get letters backing up my eyesight levels etc.
    I sent in 2 letters from the 2 diff opticians and they refused to take there word.
    They said i had to go and get an opthalmic surgeon to verify and give me an eye test. This i did and took about 10 mins at the ulster independant clinic in stranmillis belfast.
    He sent his report into occ health and they accepted my eyesight as being above standard, But then i didnt get in on merit pool.Typical!
    I think your eyes need to be 6/18 in each eye correctable with lenses or gallses to atleast 6/12.
    My eyes at the minute are 6/15and correctable to 6/9 and 6/5 so i well meet with the standards yet again.
    Im waiting my medical at present yet again and have already been to this opthalmic surgeon and got a report yet again from him so as i can hand this over on the day thus not holding myself up in the process.
    P.s the surgeons report was £120 for 10 mins..........damn maybe we should be thinking of that for a job lol.
    Hope this helps mate.
    Alan

donalw8 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Hoping of joining on the next recruitment campaign so I went ahead and got my eyes tested today just to be sure I meet the requirements.
    My vision is 6/38 in the Left eye and 6/5 in my Right eye but I don't need to have glasses. I asked the Optician would I pass the required visions and her words were ''yea that should pass'' not very convincingly.
    I have looked at the requirements on the Consensia website and I don't think I meet them.

Can anyone help me on this one?

Alan,

Thanks for your info I think I will book another eye test to be sure at the end of the day all we can do is try.

Best of luck with your medical.

Thanks.

No probs donal.

But honestly they wont take anything from opticians.im not sure y this is..if it wud make u feel better then book into see a op surgeon or consultant and get a report from him/her......that way u can present it on the day.hey it will even show ur keen and committed to getting in.
    Yeah im dreading medical mate. Hate the hearing tests hate the spirometre test mmmmmmmm just generally hate the medical.
    hope all goes well with your mate.

Guys
    My hearing aint the best, the only time it was working fine was yesterday when a fiver fell from my pocket and i heard it hit the ground lol
    Only kiddin. My hearing aint the best as ive said, and ive been through a few medicals and passed them all. At each medical they mentioned my hearing being low, but i still passed. Im sitting between 150 and 200 in the merit pool and im from the the NC group. So going by this it looks good, but im wetting myself about the bloomin hearing test again (if i get a medical that is). My blood pressure was sky high everytime, and i was referred back to my GP everytime, but i was able to bring it down. Its normal now, and ive only relised that it was the decongestants that i was using to try and unblock my bloomin ears to hear better lol So beware chaps.
    Any ideas yet on when the medicals should all be done or even how they are selecting people for them. It would be a bummer if it could take up until sep/oct this year until we hear word.

Wanalaugh

had a hearing test last year for a medical to work in a factory, noises are almost impossible to pick up, such a high frequency. Surprised I did well in it since i listen to loud music all the time, im young though so give it a few years and ill be deaf

• Advertisement

Hi wannalaugh
    Not really sure when they expect all meds to be complete.
    From what i have gathered over the forum, Not everyone is getting meds due to merit number blah blah blah.
    Only reason i know im getting med is by phoning them up and asking.
    I have been told more or less im in so long as my vetting is passed and med is passed. This has put even more pressure on me now as now i know i have a place..........i am up to high dooooh and id prob bet my bp will be sky high waiting and waiting and waiting.
    Mate take a leaf from my book..............my head was turned reading into things especially when there are so many questions unanswered.
    I took myself of the forum for few weeks and tried to forget all about it....it did help as the time is flying in and im that little bit closer to the end. I only come on here now maybe once a week for wee updates.
    Anway best of luck mate

Alanbelfast
    When you say you phoned, if you hadnt have phoned would you have missed your date. I think i'll give them a ring and see whats happening. Do you know the number pal.

Wanalaugh

02890650222 ask for recruitment

they'll sort u out

third time I rang them this year, still dont have any of my details on their system. Told them i have rang consensia a few times to see why they havent passed on my information, so they are going to contact consensia themselves to get it, she said alot of people have rang in with the same thing, their details being slowed up or not forwarded. So hopefully she sorts it out.

10,000 people took part in this recruitment as well she told me.

Got my date for my medical today got my letter though the post so hopefully everyone won't be waiting to long!!!!

Happy days, How long you have to wait until you do it?

Medical today...

All went well eyes, lungs, hearing, etc.....but it seems they have become more stringent this year as I have been asked to provide further information regarding a small knee cartilage op I had approx 5 years ago!!

I passed the medical last year (campaign 12) simply with the info my GP had put on the MHQ, however even with the same info on the form this year they want more!! I had also asked my GP if he felt I needed to supply anything further and he had said it would be fine!

So I haven't failed (yet), they have simply said they could not assess me fully and would like more info! Doctor did not flag up any other issues and actually commented that she could see no indication that my knee had ever even been operated on!

I phoned my GP this afternoon, and he could not believe that I had been given the letter and felt it was a bit ridiculous. I believe he is also going to send additional info to them..I will also get a report from a consultant just in case!!

So morale of the story..make sure you take as much additional info with you as you really will need it!!!!

P.S. anyone else any experience with the knee ops??

Mickey2186:)

while bother going through all that for somthing that is ok.

I had a hernia operation last year, will probably get grief for that, if i ever get a medical that is .... :eek:

Hi guys
    Just got my letter through today for a medical date at the end of the month. So happy days here. Just my main concern that my hearing may let me down. Sounds silly, but what do they mean by wearing the appropriate clothing as a physical medical will be carried out. Never heard that one before. Does that mean clean socks and underpants lol

BTW....Hope you liked my spelling error 'morale' instad of moral!!

Maybe I'll have to get a consultant to write a report for my spelling!!!!

LOL:)

Goodgopbadcop..I think/hope they just want the report from the consultant to back up the fact that the OH doctor did not find any problems.

The only thing frustrating me is the fact that I passed last year with exactly the same information provided, so I (supidly) assumed there would be no problems this time round as nothing has changed.

Assume nothing!!!!

• Advertisement

"dont assume... it makes an ASS out of U and ME"

Wannalaugh,

Just don't wear your high heels, stockings and suspenders to the medical!!

They may get tangled up!!

:eek: Oi how did you know about me in the stocking and high heels. I thought this may have helped lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 CooperCop

Hello to all on campaign 13
    I've just got a date for my medical with OH today for sometime late Feb.
    My eye sight is the biggest hurdle for me passing the medical. I’m within the required standards of 6/18 in each eye, correctable to 6/12 with glasses, but only just. My optician has put me in the ‘grey area‘. She would easily pass me but depending on the actual eye test on the day and the tolerance of the distance the chart is read at, I could either fail or pass. Does anyone know the exact eye test involved? What line of letters on the snellen chart you need to read to pass? Heck, if anyone has done it then what are the letters so I can remember them for the day?

Coppercop,

You need to be able to read 4th line up from bottom of chart with corrected vision.

I think for uncorrected vision it is the 5 line up 6/18.

http://www.2020opticians.com/book/need.html

You can print out the above chart on A4, stand 20ft away and practice.

They also ask you to read out some pretty small text from a page with no glasses!! I think its called binocular vision N5 or N6.

Regards Mickey2186.

Thanks Mickey2186.

Will practice the eye chart before my medical. Good luck with the rest of your medical.

Not too long to wait, Monday 25th Feb hopefully it goes well i don't think there is too much wrong with me but others might say different lol

Just another question for all UID people on lucky Campaign 13

Since i have received a medical date and have already sent back my vetting forms - Nov past , does this mean I’ve cleared the vetting process? i.e. If I can pass the medical, and have a good merit pool no. just into the 300’s…. I could make it into the early intakes. (possibly the 4th or 5th intake?)

Evening all, just thought i would share a little bit of info with you all.
    Was talking to a mate this evening who was at an assessment for a paricular job this week, he said that there was 5 people in the room who had all received 'dear john' letters in relation to the merit pool within the last couple of weeks.
    What this indicates to me is that if you are still in the pool, waiting vetting/medical then your still in with a shout for this years intakes.
    Keep the chin up all.

And MartinC whats all this "me and Ethan are physical wrecks" stuff!!:D:D
    LOL

• Advertisement

Haha Ethan,

Ok then "Look at Ethan the physical wreck" :)

Hope all goes well Mickey, I'm sure you'll be grand.

Martin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement