Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DJs / Soundproofing / Neighbours

• 28-06-2007 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Just a quick poll to get an opinion from the DJ / Clubbing community about sound levels, what's acceptable and should other people have to listen to your music - especially if you classify yourself as 'professional' and they've repeatedly asked you to turn down the bass.

Should DJs take responsibility for soundproofing 30 votes

No, any proper DJ should have their own seperate studio and/or hire a rehearsal space
    0%
    Yes, anyone carrying out any kind of home studio activity should have their room soundproofed
    6%
    magpieDeafened 2 votes
    As long as the bass is turned down and its kept within reasonable hours, what's the problem?
    26%
    Seanie MAccesscondradelrunred daveHawk WingTechnoFreekdjdeclan 8 votes
    People make noise, get used to it
    56%
    Executive SteveZascarSelikRed Alertjonny68cornbbUnknownAlvisRiesen_MealfrancoismwrfIbjiba[Deleted User]modalcommandFLYNN-DOGDamagedTraxacman 17 votes
    **** youse yes snobby ***** yezzz Thrun on sum of dat Hard House ****! YEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHH
    10%
    dpimpLinaszmcheesemaker 3 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Almost everywhere I have lived I have had to be very careful with my noise levels. Really pis$ed me off as I love to listen to my music at a decent level, yet I do not want to piss anyone off, so it can really spoil the fun. My last two apartments, anything more than a general listening level could be clearly heard by neighbours.

Now i live in a detached bungalow and can pretty much have it as loud as I want for normal use without getting any hassle. The only time I do have hassle is a few times I've had parties and rented huge speakers - had a few complaints but apologiesed the next day.

Out of interest what would be involved if you wanted to properly soundproof? I'd say ity would be pretty expensive. Has anyone here done it?

"Professional" or not, everyone should have the right not to be disturbed by loud music in their own home. I think this can be excused by the odd party, but any more and you're asking for trouble. Immagine your next door neighbour played the Bagpipes "Professionally" - you'd still go mad if he started playing them at 8am on a sunday morning, when you have only just gone to bed. Same difference for the olw-one who lives next door.

I wish had a house with no neighbours for a half a mile radius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

what zascar said, basically.

i live in a semi detached house, the walls are like paper. I've never had a single complaint about loud music because at the end of the day there's only so much volume you really need.

soundproofing is a HUGE expense, although you *can* take basic steps to dampen your sound levels, i don't think it's a realistic thing to expect people to do.

If there were proper building codes in this country that didn't allow builders to knock up suburban houses where you can literally hear your neighbour snoring through the wall then i think that would be a better step, also in terms of heat and energy conservation.

Then again, the music i play doesn't really have those big booming kickdrums associated with every other genre of dance music so i can probably get away with having the music louder than a techno or house dj might.

if you really ARE a "professional" then odds are you're not playing dance music in the first place, or else you play the sort of stuff you don't really need to practice playing anyway. I have a weekly radio show, i organise events, i play out regularly in venues all around dublin and i certainly wouldn't call myself professional (although i always try to act professionally obviously)

anybody who claims they can't turn off their decks at 3 in the bloody morning is just being an arrogant twit with no respect for their neighbours - if they were REALLY professional, they'd probably be out playing a gig somewhere in town at that hour if they were any use...

That said, i DO like to bang it out every once in a while, but obviously you make sure you don't let your right to bang it out every once in a while to interfere with your neighbours right to peace and quiet.

if everyone took the time to get to know their neighbours and be courteous and respectful to them then not only would there be less stress associated with noise etc but society as a whole would be much improved.

interesting first post for someone calling themselves "deafened" though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Hub

**** youse yes snobby ***** yezzz Thrun on sum of dat Hard House ****! YEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHH

You're into hard house?

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Deafened

Yes, anyone carrying out any kind of home studio activity should have their room soundproofed
    Thanks for the reasoned responses, which is what I had assumed I would get from actual professionals - it kind of backs up what I'd thought about it.
    You're into hard house?

No, but my next door neighbour is, and despite being repeatedly asked he just doesn't seem to understand that bass travels through walls. Nothing more irritating than trying to watch a bit of TV and unwind than "thunk thunk thunk thunk thunk thunk" through your walls.

As someone who works in the music industry (not in clubland/djing - I'm studio-based) its particularly galling to meet these 'I'm a pro DJ' ****wits. Anyone who is a pro is out doing it, not sitting around in their bedroom.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Regardsless of what music you are into, a repetitive thump is annoying for anyone fi you are just relaxing. Somtimes I have music on in my room but later go in to watch TV in the living room and get ammoyed by my own music! ;)

I make sure my flatmates are not scared to ask me to turn it down, cause I know how pissed off people can get. They don't want to be a sap asking to turn it down but I don't want to be the annoying sap playing it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

What has professionalism got to do with anything when the music is being played in a residential area??

There are laws and byelaws for noise pollution, particularly in residential areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Nearly got kicked out of an old gaff i used to live in years ago for having loud partys so learned a lesson.:D

There are laws and byelaws for noise pollution, particularly in residential areas.

True, the point is you shouldn't have to invoke these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Deafened wrote:
    True, the point is you shouldn't have to invoke these.
    Yeah but that's like saying we "shouldn't" have prisons. We shouldn't but we do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭electro.ie

F*ck the neighbours, well before ten during the week anyway.

• Advertisement

F*ck the neighbours

Nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ibjiba

Doesn't matter what you activity are. After reasonable hours, you should let your neighbours have their rest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭electro.ie

Deafened wrote:
    Nice

Why thank you.

Advertisement