Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista and soundcard woes.....

• 28-06-2007 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Heya all
    Am dual booting Vista/XP at the moment, because I have rubbish sound on Vista.I have an old Creative soundblaster Live!Value card which works ie I get sound but it is dreadful.Took me a week to get dodgy drivers for it, as initially I had no sound at all :-(( I need a new card and I need one now -tomorrow will do! I know not to go Creative, but can anyone recommend a good (not too expensive) card to run on VIsta 64bit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Check the settings in the creative driver/volume control. When I installed Vista drivers for my Audigy 2 it sounded like complete ass - because creative set the default settings to complete ass! They had treble and bass set all arseways by default. Once i tweaked them it was fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

I can;t recommend you a specific card, but I will wanr you away form the m-audio delta cards. They have no vista drivers and there are no signs of any coming soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

HELP!! Will be going to Liffey Valley Monday,PC World..... can get into town, just need to know what to buy?????? What have you vista people got???????

Stephen wrote:
    Check the settings in the creative driver/volume control. When I installed Vista drivers for my Audigy 2 it sounded like complete ass - because creative set the default settings to complete ass! They had treble and bass set all arseways by default. Once i tweaked them it was fine.

Yeah well I have a soundblaster live value card circa 1990 something, and it just is not right.....have googled to death but no definitive answer as to what to get...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Creative just released a new set of drivers for the SB Live under Vista, may be worth a go.

• Advertisement

8T8 wrote:
    Creative just released a new set of drivers for the SB Live under Vista, may be worth a go.

Great! Thanks for that, will give it a try and let ya know!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Just following on from this. I had the same issue, I found these 3rd party drivers for some SB chipsets, check it here

http://www.driverheaven.net/general-discussion/128197-3538m-released.html

Gives much better sound quality for cards such as SB Live! 1024 and Value under Vista. Though there really is no excuse for still having these soundcards ;)

See also: http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I've had no sound since I upgraded to Vista. Its a dell dimension 4700. As far as I can see the makers of the board (its onboard sound) havnt bothered to make a vista driver (and are not going to bother). Pan in the arse. A cheap AB seems to be the way to go.

Well, worry over.Pulled out the soundcard,bought new speakers and am using the onboard sound.Great -Vista has sound, but XP doesnt! Am going nuts.

What make motherboard is it as usually you can get the drivers just from knowing the make & model.

• Advertisement

Its an ASUS P5B - I dont understand why on Vista there is sound, but not on XP. They are installed on separate hard disks.

Vista has much more up to date hardware database of drivers compared to XP which is a few years old now.

Vista supports almost all current HD audio integrated audio chips out of the box whereas on XP you have to install the HD audio patch and the driver to get it working.

The WinXP driver can be gotten at this link.

Also if you want to expose more functionality from the onboard sound the Vista 32-bit/64-bit driver at this link.

8T8 -thanks for those links. I had luvverly Boston speakers for YEARS which are now in the loft, but bought some decent Logitech ones which are OK. I think the problem was my digital speakers with the onboard sound.....

Advertisement