Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCI Express Problem.

Options
  • 28-06-2007 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

Ok!

This one is starting to get the better of me :mad:

I have a brand new build (Parts sourced from Komplett)
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=461954&su=036F5828-650D-450D-9BE6-71C19BADA30E

I'm having a nightmare issue with the graphics.

Mobo: MSI P6N SLI Platinum

Graphic Card: Gainward PCI -E 8500GT

Problem:

When I installed the card & drivers everything appeared to work fine for a couple of hours, then all of a sudden when I'd go to move any open window, the window would swerve in an "S" shape as I moved it around. The only way I can explain it is to say that it was like dragging a sheet of paper under water. When I checked the Device Manager the graphic driver had an exclamation mark on it :eek: I uninstalled the driver & downloaded the latest one & installed that, restarted & everything seem to be fine again for about an hour, then it went belly up again. I reseated the card & reinstalled the original drivers & all went well again for a short period only. Then I borrowed a 7900GTS card from a friend & installed that. It worked fine for two days & I was sure I had it sorted so I RMA'd the 8500 back to Komplett. The following day the 7900 driver bauked & I was back to square one again.

Komplett notified me today that they found no fault on the 8500 & they are returning it. I have to accept that the card itself is not at fault & I'm dammed if I know where to go from here with it.

This issue has been going on for over two weeks now & it's totally taking the buzz out of the new build :(

Anyone out there ever come across something similar? or can anyone offer any advice on what I should do now?

:confused:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You need to make sure that the old drivers are completly gone.

Un-install the nvidia drivers.

Re-boot and start in safe mode.
    Run the app called driver cleaner to remove any traces of the drivers.
    Re-boot and install new drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well it doesn't sound like it might be the graphics card if changing it had no effect so the only things I can suggest are:

1) Update bios of MSI motherboard.
    2) Clear CMOS of motherboard.
    3) Load defaults in bios, disable any auto overclocking features that includes ones related to the PCI-e bus as NVIDIA boards often feature this and sometimes it is set to enabled.
    4) Change monitor (if possible) for testing purposes.
    5) Clean install Windows XP.
    6) Install NVIDIA chipset drivers but don't install storage/audio/firewall driver
    7) Install NVIDIA display driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Thanks for the input Krazy_8s & 8T8,

I have been running the rig all day & the driver has not crapped out yet?

One strange thing I noticed though? The little Nvidia icon in the system tray disappeared this morning & the graphics have been fine since??? The device manager is reporting all is well?

I had already reinstalled Window XP before it was suggested but it did not seem to make any difference. I'm half afraid to uninstall the driver for now seeing that it is working OK right now. I will be trying your suggestions as soon as it throws another hissy fit.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement