Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Personal Injury advice

• 28-06-2007 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

While shopping in a Dublin shopping centre, my 2yr old son caught his leg in an escalator and fractured a bone in his foot. (Now in plaster).

Can I claim for medical expenses against this centre?
    He was not running wild or anything, just standing beside me and holding my hand.

I just picked up the screaming child and left the premises and went straight to a doctor. I did not get the names of any witenesses in the panic!

Should I talk to a solictor as soon as possible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Definitely seek advice, but I imagine an escalator has warnings about children needing close supervision, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

If there was something wrong with the escalator then you'd of course be fully entitled to compensation and should go about seeking camera footage/witnesses. But if your child put his foot in the area covered by bristles/yellow line that says "don't put your foot here" or whatever, then you should have been watching him, as well as holding his hand, and, whether or not you might get compensation if you go to a solicitor, you shouldn't be seeking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

How can you prove it happened there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

My first bit of advice is to not listen to the well-meaning but unqualified posters on this site, you should immediately contact and make an appointment to see a solicitor who practises in Personal Injuries law. They will be able to advise you fully on all aspects of liability and whether the matter is worth pursuing (my instinct tells me that it probably is). A solicitor will not usually charge for this initial consultation and will almost never charge you up-front for bringing such a case.

Advertisement