Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Or would the 1.8 zetec be a better buy?

Any advice on the engines would be thanked!
    I need to know if they can handle high mileage!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

In a word, no. It's being sold trade, which means as-is, ie no warranty. This one: http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=675445 looks a lot better for the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

Anan1 wrote:
    In a word, no. It's being sold trade, which means as-is, ie no warranty. This one: http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=675445 looks a lot better for the same money.

Its a petrol though?

Nothing wrong with buying without a warranty so long as the car checks out ok.

There were threeengines available in the Mk1 Focus

90bhp TDDi
    100bhp TDCi
    115bhp TDCi

The TDCi is a more modern engine, only becoming first available in 2001, and modified and released on a wider basis in 2003. The 90bhp engine is a nice unit and capable of massive miles. It goes without saying though it isn't as refined or as quick as the later TDCi models.

They're both petrol, the one in autotrader is a 1.8 pet.

So it wouldnt be a good buy then?
    Most of the mileage would be English Motorway miles. Im actually living in the UK for now so I have to buy an English one.

So is the version engine in this one a good engine? Nippy and capable of high mileage?

What do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The 1.8 engine is pretty nippy - same as the wife has in the Volvo and I had my sisters 1.8 Zetec for 3 months after she broke her arm. Not sure if they are capable of the mileage though - don't see many Petrols over here with that sort of mileage where I am.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Engine is fine. Only a small bit quicker than the corresponding 1.6, and a wee bit heavier on fuel.

Look for service history, and details ofthe cam belt being changed. Insist on a HPI report.

I wouldn't buy a car with 100k miles recorded myself, but it's cheap, and if it's in good condition should be a canny buy.

A/c is a good option to have. Make sure it blows ice cold, or it may need a regassing or new pipes.

So i should stay clear then?

I have about £2k and want something with a modern feel, has ABS and Air con and looks ok.

This ticks all the right boxes, but im weary with that massive mileage on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I recently replaced the timing belt and it cost big money. It is difficult to get at and the cost was labour. I got it done at 80k which is a bit early, but when the mechanic took out the tensioner, it was cracked. I dont know what it cost as the bill included other things.

Mileage at major service was 80,000

Work done as follows

Both drop link bars, new front disks and pads, timing belt, general service

Cost in an independent garage €960

P.S. I love my focus ! It is a 1.6 Ghia 1999 saloon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Keep looking - you should get a better deal than that
    I am also in the UK, and got a 2001 1.6 Zetec with 80k miles
    Paid £2600 for it - and its in perfect condition
    And I am in Aberdeen where cars are apparently more expensive
    You should get one with lower mileage, or a younger one for that price

• Advertisement

So i should stay clear then?

I have about £2k and want something with a modern feel, has ABS and Air con and looks ok.

This ticks all the right boxes, but im weary with that massive mileage on it
    It's a trade car. That really should be enough to answer your question.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

Anan1 wrote:
    They're both petrol, the one in autotrader is a 1.8 pet.

Indeed. Sorry. Never crossed my mind someone would want a 1.8 petrol focus!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

maidhc wrote:
    Indeed. Sorry. Never crossed my mind someone would want a 1.8 petrol focus!

A popular engine choice in the UK.

Advertisement