Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law

Options
  • 28-06-2007 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Law in trinity is 540 (approx) law in UL is 500 (approx)

Why is there such a big difference? Will you be a better qualified solicitor/barrister after doing the Trinity course? if so, why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I would believe its because more people would want to go to dublin over limerick which is percieved as a ****hole by the media.

Also i would imagine that its because theres more people in dublin thatd want to stay there in the first place.

Course points are related to demand for the college course itself and how many people want to do said course against how many places are available to do the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i cannot speak for law personally but i can explain a little about why one degree is worth more than another

take for example economics in ucd...........at the start of this year they told the year the 8%(about 4 people i remember correctly) will get firsts.........this means that no matter how well everyone does the results will be corrected until only 4 people get firsts............dcu, for example does not do this(for their business course anyway) so anyone who gets over 70% gets a first.

this sounds great for the students in dcu but in realitythe employers know that if they are getting a first from ucd they are getting an exceptional student who was in the top 4 of his class, they do not know this if they get a first from dcu.

now more than likely this is not the reason for the points difference in the courses you mentioned but it will be the basis which is used to decide how valuable your degree is to an employer. if less people get firsts from trinity than ul than employers will want trinity graduats first as it is harder and presumably better than ul.......rightly or wrongly this is how the value of a degree is decided in such specified fields as law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

It all goes on the basis of demand. Look at the other courses in Trinity- 540 would be in the top range of points for courses there, just as 500 is in UL. There arent many courses higher than 500 in UL, and the few that are would be the same in Trinity....I havent explained that very well but basically its all relative!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

It has nothing got to do with the quality of the degree. The more people that apply for a coarse then the higher the points will go. There is more demand for the places in dublin than there is in limerick (Like most things there is a higher demand in Dublin because it is bigger)

cooperguy wrote:
    It has nothing got to do with the quality of the degree. The more people that apply for a coarse then the higher the points will go. There is more demand for the places in dublin than there is in limerick (Like most things there is a higher demand in Dublin because it is bigger)

i know how the cao system works thanks i was trying to explain other possible reasons why demand is greater in trinity rather than the blatantly obvious one that it is in dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Rosita

PeakOutput wrote:
    i cannot speak for law personally but i can explain a little about why one degree is worth more than another

take for example economics in ucd...........at the start of this year they told the year the 8%(about 4 people i remember correctly) will get firsts.........this means that no matter how well everyone does the results will be corrected until only 4 people get firsts............dcu, for example does not do this(for their business course anyway) so anyone who gets over 70% gets a first.

this sounds great for the students in dcu but in realitythe employers know that if they are getting a first from ucd they are getting an exceptional student who was in the top 4 of his class, they do not know this if they get a first from dcu.

now more than likely this is not the reason for the points difference in the courses you mentioned but it will be the basis which is used to decide how valuable your degree is to an employer. if less people get firsts from trinity than ul than employers will want trinity graduats first as it is harder and presumably better than ul.......rightly or wrongly this is how the value of a degree is decided in such specified fields as law

I wonder to what extent are employers au fait with the marking schemes and conventions of the various colleges? It would take very specific knowledge of all the third-level insitutions to be able to make such judgements based on knowledge of their marking schemes and I'm not sure if the average solicitor's practice would dedicate someone to this purpose.

Rosita wrote:
    I wonder to what extent are employers au fait with the marking schemes and conventions of the various colleges? It would take very specific knowledge of all the third-level insitutions to be able to make such judgements based on knowledge of their marking schemes and I'm not sure if the average solicitor's practice would dedicate someone to this purpose.

well again not from a law point of view but

a relative used to be the head of it in a large international company and he knew exactly what degrees to hire and not hire..............he always said dcu produced the best it graduates and it would be a large plus for the candidate if that was on his cv when applying

I would be very suprised if the big 4/5 companies in any sector did not actively head hunt the top performers in degrees in their area starting off with the most sought after degrees like economics in ucd or computer science in dcu.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

I don't think it's necessarily down to the course itself - the fact is that having a Trinity degree is used as a statement, like being an Oxford or Cambridge graduate.

A graduate from Trinity in any major discipline like law will be higher points wise because (a) it's in Dublin and most people want to go there for convenience (b) because Trinity is perceived as an 'elite' university (true or not, employers like the sound of a Trinity degree).

The UL law faculty is excellent however, several lecturers have written the standard law texts in other colleges and the standard is very very high indeed.

Didnt you learn anything in Careers?

The points system here.. is all about the demand of the course by students..

More demand for the course.. the higher the points of the course.

Didnt you learn anything in Careers?

The points system here.. is all about the demand of the course by students..

More demand for the course.. the higher the points of the course.

the question was why is there such a big points difference..........the difference is due to higher demand for trinity which implies it has something that ul does not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

Differences in CAO points are down to supply / demand of student places in college courses as pointed out.

Trinity is more in demand because of its perceived reputation (deserved or otherwise). Rakes of students apply for the snob appeal alone.

Re. your professional qualification as solicitor / barrister, you get this from a year of tuition spent in the Law Society or Kings Inns on top of your standard degree (law degree usually).

While it is true some employers actually give a s**t about / guage you by what you get in your college subjects to varying degrees, they all know that even after all those years of study you're still useless in the practical sense until you have started practicing professionally and learn the ropes through experience.

Above all, success of your career is down to yourself a lot more than the high-level degree you had to get first to base it all on.

Advertisement