Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Energy - Einstein's Mistake?

Options
  • 28-06-2007 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

Yo,

I was reading about Dark Energy and am greatly puzzled by it. Unlike Dark Matter - whose existence we can infer - Dark Energy has never been detected directly or indirectly. It was 'created' as the by-product of Einstein's General Theory of Relativity (i.e. the Cosmological Constant).

I'm an amateur cosmologist but what are the chances that Dark Energy doesn't exist at all and, in fact, it really is just a product of an error in Relativity. I mean, maybe the Maths is wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

I could well be wrong in this, but I thought that it had been detected insofar as we observe the universe accelerating? And we attribute this acceleration to dark energy. I believe dark energy was proposed independantly of the cosmological constant; it just turned out to be basically the same thing.

Advertisement