Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting received signal strenght from Alvarion radio

Options
  • 28-06-2007 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone ever found out a way to measure the received signal strength from an Alvarion Breeze radio? I know they have management software on them so there must be some function that allows you measure the received signal strength in dB's, anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Contact the ISP. You can only see it from the ISP's base station diagnoistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

watty wrote:
    Contact the ISP. You can only see it from the ISP's base station diagnoistics.

Not strictly true afaik. The IBB engineers i spoke to said they can see it when installing the radio and that they log into the radio via telnet and the radio ip asigned to you (not the public ip they give you to enter in your pc) however he also told me that before they leave they input a lock code which mean the radio can only be telneted to from IBB's technical dept thus preventing customers telneting to the radio and giving themselves a faster connection if they did happen to figure the ip of their radio.

yes, from the Network side, not the user side of the radio.

You can't telnet from your PC to it, the IP needed is not routed. It's probably a private subnet so unroutable on Internet so even knowing the IP is useless.

the engineers who install it can telnet to it from the laptop they bring with them and can also do it from the customers pc if they want but before they leave they lock the cutomer out. The radio can then be accessed from the the network side. If the engineers need to make a call out they ring the office and get the lock removed to allow them back into the radio. If the guys in the office can't remove the lock the engineers have special software that allows them restore the radio to it's factory settings and then re-configure it. When at factory settings they telnet in with the ip 10.0.0.1 but then configure a new ip into the radio for each customer which they do not give to the customer, they call it the radio ip, the ip they give the customer they call the public ip, even if you had the radio ip you could not telnet to the radio because of the lock. If however you could obtain the software and your radio ip you could then have fun with your connection as the speed(both up and down link) and contention ratio are all set by the engineers when logged into the radio during installation.

I think that is an oversimplification.

Anyway it sounds to me that you want to filch BB speed rather than simply see your signal level.

The contention is largely set by (total system speed) /(Sum number of users @ user package speed). On some systems you can manage QOS.

• Advertisement

watty wrote:
    I think that is an oversimplification.

Anyway it sounds to me that you want to filch BB speed rather than simply see your signal level.

Not an oversimplification at all, have a mate who worked for them until about 6 months ago he showed me how it was done and fixed my connection for me in the evening on one occasion. He told me the only difference in a 3MB connection and a 2MB is configured into the radio the contention ratio is also the same. He demonstrated this to me by logging into my radio changing 4 settings (Download speed, Upload speed, Downlink contention and Uplink contention) thus more than trebling the speed of the connection, he wanted to leave it like that(configured as a 4MB 4:1 downloads running at 960) but i made him change it back to my 2MB 24:1 as I didn't want to be robbin BB speed. Don't have IBB since I moved as they are not available in my area.
    watty wrote:
    The contention is largely set by (total system speed) /(Sum number of users @ user package speed). On some systems you can manage QOS.

Obviously this is true, but if you have two user's on the same highsite one on a 2MB 24:1 connection the other on a 2MB 4:1 connection the only difference between their connections is the contention ratio (CIR) settings in the radio. This is how my mate told me IBB's system works.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pedropumpalot

MIR = maximum information rate
    CIR = commited information rate

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pedropumpalot

I came across this program called net stumbler and it can pick up all sorts of details from WLAN in the surrounding area such as channel, speed, SNR and most importantly signal strength.

I am wondering can this be used in conjunction with an Alvarion radio to find out the Rx Lev on the radio. Like i said before you can only get SNR's from the radio.

Anyone know any other way to get the Rx Lev?:confused:

Advertisement