Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seagulls attacking

Options
  • 28-06-2007 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭

has anyone else come across this?

it seems anyone i mention it to thinks its hilarious, but its bloody well not

this time of year, every year, i cant so much as leave my house without having seagulls swooping at me constantly, and attempting to divebomb my head

im sure it looks hilarious and its all very slapstick, but its extremely distressing when youre in a wide open space with nowhere for cover and you have 4 or 5 seagulls following you and all swooping in at your head

anyone know of any ways to avoid this kind of thing? coz otherwise walking to the train for work is going to be an extremely unpleasant experience for me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Lol, sorry, you have to admit it's funny :D

Are you wearing some sort of distinctive hat?
    And does it happen to anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

its not funny at all

did a bit of googling and its getting to be a fairly big problem in the uk, people hospitalised and even an elderly man dying of a heart attack

yes it happens to lots of people, and no i dont wear a distinctive hat, or any sort

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

I've been dive bombed by crows before not nice. I'm just wondering is it possible to be mating season for seagulls? How far are you from the coast? just wondering could it be that....ill see if i can find out some solutions 4 u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Eww. Scary. May I suggest that you get an umbrella, and when they come at you, open it suddenly at them. Absolutely terrifying, from the bird's point of view.

You don't look, er, fishy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I have just moved to Aberdeen at the start of the year, and OP I feel your pain!
    Seagulls are everywhere and always swooping around towards my head.
    Apparently its their nesting season so are coming inland.
    I have to agree with you about it being distressing and in no way funny, I am terrified of them.
    When I was in Sydney, I was having lunch one day in Darling Harbour, and my sandwich wasn't covered when I went outside - all of a sudden, 2 seagulls came swooping down and attacked me to get my food :(
    Since then they scare me so much.
    And as for pooping on my car - don't get me started. The paintwork on my car is going to be destroyed before long :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

luckat wrote:
    Eww. Scary. May I suggest that you get an umbrella, and when they come at you, open it suddenly at them. Absolutely terrifying, from the bird's point of view.

good thinking, ill give that a go! cheers
    corkimp wrote:
    How far are you from the coast? just wondering could it be that....ill see if i can find out some solutions 4 u

im right on the coast in balbriggan, so theres thousands of the feckers
    cAr0l wrote:
    I have just moved to Aberdeen at the start of the year, and OP I feel your pain!
    Seagulls are everywhere and always swooping around towards my head.
    Apparently its their nesting season so are coming inland.
    I have to agree with you about it being distressing and in no way funny, I am terrified of them.
    When I was in Sydney, I was having lunch one day in Darling Harbour, and my sandwich wasn't covered when I went outside - all of a sudden, 2 seagulls came swooping down and attacked me to get my food :(
    Since then they scare me so much.
    And as for pooping on my car - don't get me started. The paintwork on my car is going to be destroyed before long :(

theyre horrible horrible buggers arent they

ye never realise how big they are til theyre swooping at you either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

luckat wrote:
    Eww. Scary. May I suggest that you get an umbrella,

or a flamethrower. Sort the bástards out.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

My fiance hates seagulls and crows and thanks to him got none nearby - i'll prob be told he's cruel and everything but he doesn't hit them. He uses a pellet gun - the sound frightens birds and they don't tend to like coming back to our garden. That and our pup tries jumping up to catch them now lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Helix wrote:
    has anyone else come across this?

it seems anyone i mention it to thinks its hilarious, but its bloody well not

this time of year, every year, i cant so much as leave my house without having seagulls swooping at me constantly, and attempting to divebomb my head

im sure it looks hilarious and its all very slapstick, but its extremely distressing when youre in a wide open space with nowhere for cover and you have 4 or 5 seagulls following you and all swooping in at your head

anyone know of any ways to avoid this kind of thing? coz otherwise walking to the train for work is going to be an extremely unpleasant experience for me

stop putting birdfood on your head:D

Advertisement