Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Graphics Card Problem.

Options
  • 28-06-2007 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

Well guys I have hit a blank wall trying to use Dual Monitors (to extend my desktop). I have enabled SLi and tried the troubleshooter and also went online anf followed a setup that I found. This is supposed to be a simple task to do but Ithink that I may have 8/&"$" up one of my GeForce 7600 GS cards.

I updated the graphics drivers earlier and my screen would only stay in stand by mode. I switched from DVI to VGA connection and still no screen. Using the older monitor(vga connection) on the "second card" I was able to roll back the drivers; I then hooked the newer screen up to the "second card" and all was well. Both screens work of the "second card" but neither work on the "first card." In device Manager both cards have the same driver, both are enabled and Windows says both are working properly and have no conflicts. If they are working properly then why will the the "first card" not allow any display on either monitor? Oh and I tried using both monitors on VGA and on DVI (not mixed). Any help would be appreciated.

Mick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 donalfm

Hi,

Been doing some reading on this in the last few days as I am putting together a new machine. As far as I know, SLI doesn't support more than one monitor. Check out http://www.slizone.com/page/home.html for info. There should be an nVidia configure app in your taskbar that will allow you disable SLI on the fly - you could then reapply it when you're playing games.

This is presuming you have two SIL cards. If not, then you're not using SLI and I doubt it's the root of your problems. nVidia forums would probably be a better place to get info

• Registered Users Posts: 44 donalfm

Okay,

So you do have two cards. One acts as a master. One acts a slave when SLI is enabled. When SLI is disabled, I have no idea what happens. They're not designed for that scenario.

The point is that you get video output from only one of the cards while SLI is enabled - the master. Again, check the site in the previous reply or nVidia forums for more info.

Nice setup though - have to put 7300s instead of 7600s in my new machines for now for budgetary reasons.

Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

Donalfm, Thanks for the info I'll check it out later this evening and get back to you.

Mick.

donalfm wrote:
    Okay,

So you do have two cards. One acts as a master. One acts a slave when SLI is enabled. When SLI is disabled, I have no idea what happens. They're not designed for that scenario.

The point is that you get video output from only one of the cards while SLI is enabled - the master. Again, check the site in the previous reply or nVidia forums for more info.

Nice setup though - have to put 7300s instead of 7600s in my new machines for now for budgetary reasons.

Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

I think you may be mixing up SLI with having two screens. SLI merely uses the power of both cards to output to a screen...or two. You only connect the screen(s) to the master card...it then uses the second card to help with the graphics calculations.

You don't need two cards for a dual monitor setup..in fact it makes it more complicated.
    I have a 24" and 19" LCD both hooked up to my 1900xt and it works perfectly. I also use a little app called UltraMon that makes life a little easier with two monitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

Donalfm, Yep I had Sli enabled so I disabled it and bingo now I have my desktop extended. As hopful has pointed out I was getting a bit mixed up about Sli. Thanks again for the help.

hopeful, Thanks for the link/info and I'll get a chance to check it out tomorrow/later today.Also I have the second screen running at 1024 x 768 but the desktop is a bit "grainy;" I don't need perfection because I'll only be using it for "reading" text while working on photographs etc; But I would be interested to know if the graphics can be improved. I'll be taking a long hard look at your Link and reading up on this scenario so I may find some answers during that. Anyway thanks again to both of you.

Mick.
    hopeful wrote:
    I think you may be mixing up SLI with having two screens. SLI merely uses the power of both cards to output to a screen...or two. You only connect the screen(s) to the master card...it then uses the second card to help with the graphics calculations.

You don't need two cards for a dual monitor setup..in fact it makes it more complicated.
    I have a 24" and 19" LCD both hooked up to my 1900xt and it works perfectly. I also use a little app called UltraMon that makes life a little easier with two monitors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Always a pleasure :D

Advertisement