Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 Webtext flaky

• 28-06-2007 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭

When I use webtext on O2 the txt goes to O2 people but Meteor people don't get it. Anyone have that problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

BostonB wrote:
    When I use webtext on O2 the txt goes to O2 people but Meteor people don't get it. Anyone have that problem?

It is really crap at the moment; some SMS not being delivered and today I find that some are being delivered to the wrong person -i.e another contact in my phonebook!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

A year ago I left O2 because the webtext was so flaky and I use it a lot at work. I was thinking of swtiching back for the double minutes offer. Is the webtext still as bad as ever? I emailed support about it but no reply yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I've noticed a 4 or 5 hour delay in some people recieving O2 webtexts over the last few days :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Have it on very good authority that the reasons why webtext performance is intermittent is because of these free text API's that everybody is using. Have a look at the stickies on this forum for examples.

Increasing security to prevent potential SPAM messages going through the webtext API will invariably cause peaks and troughs in performance.

FYI, the authority is me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

But other providers don't seem to experience the same problems? Meteor works grand for me, but I'd still rather use o2, as explaining to reply to your "real number" at the end of each text is hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Havent used the Meteor one, but not having variable reply-to numbers on MT SMS's seems... ummm.. amateur?

Even Clickatell do that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Have it on very good authority that the reasons why webtext performance is intermittent is because of these free text API's that everybody is using. Have a look at the stickies on this forum for examples.

Increasing security to prevent potential SPAM messages going through the webtext API will invariably cause peaks and troughs in performance.

The O2 webtext has been dire for years. Before the API's became popular. I'm sure many switched to other methods to get their free text as the it almost impossible to use them via the O2 site. I can only assume the poor webtext service is a delibrate tactic to dissuade people from using their free texts. No ones that bad at web development.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

I've never had any problems with webtext, the only thing that annoys me is that afterwards I sometimes forget what I just sent.. ¬_¬; though thats just poor memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

Havent used the Meteor one, but not having variable reply-to numbers on MT SMS's seems... ummm.. amateur?

Even Clickatell do that..

MT as in Multitext? Clickatell charges for SMS's sent, multitext doesnt send messages, it depends on meteor/vodafone/o2 to send them so yes it is amateurish but its free, if you do need variable send from numbers then yes i strongly suggest you go for a paid for provider - you get what you pay for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

so why has it been going down like clockwork every few days for the past few years, long before people were using these free text apis?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

recently found out that o2 have only limited mms agreements with other networks ie: you can send video mms or large mms over 100kbs to other o2 numbers but mms to other networks is limited to under 100kbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

culabula wrote:
    .... and today I find that some are being delivered to the wrong person -i.e another contact in my phonebook!

Holy s**t! That could be embarrassing / nasty / disastrous! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭HiredGun

foggy_lad wrote:
    recently found out that o2 have only limited mms agreements with other networks ie: you can send video mms or large mms over 100kbs to other o2 numbers but mms to other networks is limited to under 100kbs

This has nothing to do with this OLD threat, Foggy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

foggy_lad wrote:

Foggy lad, this is a warning. Do not drag up old threads, if you have something to say, start a new thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

quad_red wrote:
    Holy s**t! That could be embarrassing / nasty / disastrous! :eek:

Tell me about it!! They've now been trying to sort it for weeks -it's STILL happening. One irate recipient threatened me with the Gardai!

Advertisement