Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boot up

• 29-06-2007 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭

Well lads
    was using my other computer last night and was burning a disk (i think this is related to the problem) the cd was 95% burned then it stopped burning for some reason, just assumed it was a glitch, i exited the programme and left the half burned cd-r in the cd-drive
    turned off my computer...

Went to turn it on today and needed the disk so took it out straight away during boot up and then during boot up the message
    disk boot failure. insert system disk and press enter came up

tried it again and still the same message came up
    not my computer either its my brothers which makes it worse
    any ideas as I dont think I have a system disk handy and it was working perfect last time I used it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Hmm, run away and claim ignorance?

Seriously though, sounds like a hard disk failure, could be what caused the CD to fail if the hard disk started to go. There wouldn't be a floppy in the drive by any chance would there? It could be trying to boot from that.

Have a Google around for Windows XP MBR, something like this might help. Could be an MBR problem causing the boot failure.

If you have a Windows install disc you could boot from that and check if it can see the hard disk when it gets to the point where you choose where to install it. I had a problem like this lately and when I boot from the XP disc it saw the hard disk as empty, partition info was gone. That hard disk is dead as I re-partitioned it and installed, but it disappeared again the next day.

You could also try a Linux "Live" CD where you can boot directly to an OS from the CD/DVD. If this can't see the hard disk then that could help identify the problem (dead disk).

Advertisement