Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you think of Dublin Pride?

Options
  • 29-06-2007 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

What did you think of Dublin Pride?

I love that so many people come out and say yes it's ok to be Gay.

How was Pride in your district?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Missed it myself (again). The most I saw of it was the massive queue for the George when I was heading out for dinner with friends on Saturday night.

I saw pictures of Cork Pride though and all looked good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I love that so many people come out and say yes it's ok to be Gay.

So thats what its all about ?
    And these were gay folk saying its Ok , or just folk in general?

I never quite got Pride - though my bf kept sending links to the Riga one when he was there. Strangely some Amnesty_I bloke advised he should avoid it.

So no Pride in my "district" though some guy was performing in a "gay night" here in lickle old Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Didn't make it in during the day (damn work!), but had a good laugh on the evening, though the Front Lounge was so packed it wasn't even funny, and the queues for everywhere else were just insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Missed it this year due to having a major hang over, heard it was good tho! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

I missed it this year too, due to other committments with (straight) mates. I'm kind of sorry I missed it, but since I'm not exactly sure what I would have gotten out of it other than a big pissup I'm not too concerned about it.

On a similar note I was thinking about putting up an event for a queer beers, though I'm not sure how many could be coaxed out in this weather.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Missed it this year too, although mostly out of indifference. Not a fan of crowded pubs and I recall just how busy they've been in previous years. We celebrated ourselves with a nice meal out locally instead and that, I reckon, was the best way we could have spent our time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Hmm Queer Beers, has it really been two years? I'm a bit snowed under at work at the moment, but sure I'll organise it again if you guys are happy with say the first weekend in august? (I'm thinking a per boards beers Queer Beers) but yea, whose up for this?

I'll be away on the first weekend of August myself I'm afraid.

Disaster, it is pretty close I suppose. September?

Second half of August/month of September looks pretty free for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Stark wrote:
    Second half of August/month of September looks pretty free for me.
    Ditto

Should be around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lemonead

i missed it too had to work early in the day and then headed to malahide castle for pink but that was a fairly predominantly gay crowd too. we thought the pubs would be too packed by the time we got back to town (and we heard later the average queueing time iinto the g had been an hour and a half) so we just headed home for an earlyish one!! i heard from friends involved though that it went really well, was dissapointed i'd had to work would have been nice to be there before pink!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Louisevb

Having read all of this thread, there is an awfull amount of apathy in regard to Pride...
    Pride is about celebrating the fact that we have laws allowing gay people to live normal everyday lives.. it originated from the persecution of gay people in NYC when the Stonewall riots erupted in 1969.
    If you want to be treated as normal people, but are gay then you need to support Pride, especially on the day of Pride itself. The entire population needs to see that gay people are normal, and by giving support to others to walk in the parade you also empower them to have confidence in being gay.
    Gay people are still denied fundamental rights, that hetrosexuals take for granted, but thank God we do not live in Russia or states where gay people are hanged simply for being born gay

Louisevb wrote:
    If you want to be treated as normal people, but are gay then you need to support Pride, especially on the day of Pride itself. The entire population needs to see that gay people are normal, and by giving support to others to walk in the parade you also empower them to have confidence in being gay.
    Gay people are still denied fundamental rights, that hetrosexuals take for granted, but thank God we do not live in Russia or states where gay people are hanged simply for being born gay

Telling people what they need to do is never a good idea.

I definitely don't need to support pride to be treated as a normal person. There is some contradiction here which I've never really understood - some part of Pride participants don't in anyways show the entire population that gay people are normal - very much the opposite in some cases. Not that there is anythign wrong witht hat.

Just so many gay people lament how they are stereotyped, gay=loud, gay=camp, gay= feminine and then they decide to celebrate being gay by (jn some cases) being loud camp and feminine.

I celebrate being gay (in as much that I am) by doing things with my partner, or with him/family/friends. I don't need to proclaim it to ther world.
    I am sure there are other aspects I might really enjoy, and I might give it a go some time.

My other half is Russian so I can empathise with your comments about russia - a visit to Latvia meant I came home to Ireland feeelign like there was no discrimination agaisnt gays here now. Except for that darn marriage thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

The gay pride march should be banned. If someone is gay then good luck to them, but why have a big parade down o'connell street saying look at me im gay and proud. Who cares if your gay or not. If someone organised a hetrosexual march and walking round saying im straight and proud ,they would be arrested for insulting gays.

cymro wrote:
    If someone organised a hetrosexual march and walking round saying im straight and proud ,they would be arrested for insulting gays.

Really? A legal scholar of the finest degree, you clearly are. As yoda would say.

Advertisement