Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Something I wanna get off my chest

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

for the people who continue to report the OP and his stupidity, please note, he is already banned for a month.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The title 'Something I wanna get off my chest' implies guilt. If the OP had said "hit into a car, I was only a learner, panicked and drove off.. feel really bad about it. If the owner is on this forum I am soo sorry etc" it wouldn't be so bad. Sometimes people panic and do stupid things.
    Lorax wrote:
    Come on we hav all done it :D
    It's this I find infuriating. Not only dragging people to his level, but grinning about damaging some poor person's car. I'm only a learner but if I dinged someone's vehicle then fled the scene in panic I'd feel TERRIBLE. I certainly wouldn't grin about it.
    It's Lorax's flippancy that's annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 canubies

Normally i am the kinda person to agree with the OP but have matured somewhat over the last year or two. If i ever consider being that person again i think of a karma story that happened to a friend of mine while i was with him, here goes...

He had a saab 900 & needed a new grill for it as a stone broke the orig one. This was in america & a 2nd hand one from the scrappers would've cost him $40- to hell with that!! He knew where in the town there was a car with the same grill so I went along as a look out. After getting the grill- came off easy- we returned to my friends car to find the window smashed & his prize stereo stolen, total cost of repair/replacement stereo---$650!!!!!

Try to remember this Lorax when u come back on. I dont think youre a bad person or that your attitude sucks youre just young

PS- I did the 0-60 test when I was younger too. It was a long stretch of road & no other cars about- esp a police car!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

It's worth reiterating my old (true) story of the guy I once caught denting (intentionally) my MX5 doors back in the UK, in a supermarket car park.

I didn't pounce and scream, I just got in the car, tailed him all the way to his place, waited a safe distance away 'til he was indoors, then made a "bit of Karma" on his wheels - utterly disproprortionately of course.

The point is - I would have done exactly the same had the guy damaged my car unintentionally. Call it "for his personal edification", to learn to leave a note and not leave it to 'Karma' (who can be such a disproportionate b1tch when the number's up :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

canubies wrote:
    Normally i am the kinda person to agree with the OP but have matured somewhat over the last year or two. If i ever consider being that person again i think of a karma story that happened to a friend of mine while i was with him, here goes...

He had a saab 900 & needed a new grill for it as a stone broke the orig one. This was in america & a 2nd hand one from the scrappers would've cost him $40- to hell with that!! He knew where in the town there was a car with the same grill so I went along as a look out. After getting the grill- came off easy- we returned to my friends car to find the window smashed & his prize stereo stolen, total cost of repair/replacement stereo---$650!!!!!

Try to remember this Lorax when u come back on. I dont think youre a bad person or that your attitude sucks youre just young

PS- I did the 0-60 test when I was younger too. It was a long stretch of road & no other cars about- esp a police car!

Hi Lorax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

prospect wrote:
    Hi Lorax.

+1 LOL!

EDIT: shortest "year or two" I ever saw - is that "Lorax", or is "Lorax" a nick for Hiro ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

ats wrote:

My father in law was hit by a L driver and all she did was damage his reg light, couple of € to fix she was in floods of tears over it he just sent her on her way picked up the park in a breakers and sorted it no harm done.

I admire your father-in-law for his decency in the situation, he obviously felt that the girl was genuine, and lets face it anyone can make a mistake.... but i do always wonder in cases like this if the tables were turned and your father-in-law had hit her, would she of been so decent? Or would she of tried taking people to the cleaners?

I've let people away with the odd scrape in traffic, about a year ago i was stopped, and a motor cycle courier squeezing through the a gap caught my front bumper and damaged it a little ( one of the little fixings behind the side of it popped out)... got out had a look and said feck it let him go on, popped it back in myself later... I wonder if i'd of touched of him would he of been so nice about it? I'd say he would of been rolling around on the ground, and made a nice big fat claim...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

I admire your father-in-law for his decency in the situation, he obviously felt that the girl was genuine, and lets face it anyone can make a mistake.... but i do always wonder in cases like this if the tables were turned and your father-in-law had hit her, would she of been so decent? Or would she of tried taking people to the cleaners?

I've let people away with the odd scrape in traffic, about a year ago i was stopped, and a motor cycle courier squeezing through the a gap caught my front bumper and damaged it a little ( one of the little fixings behind the side of it popped out)... got out had a look and said feck it let him go on, popped it back in myself later... I wonder if i'd of touched of him would he of been so nice about it? I'd say he would of been rolling around on the ground, and made a nice big fat claim...

yeah thats very true. early last year i got a smack off a 06 lexus, he broke his front reg plate , and there was a tiny scrape on my back bumber.... I said "dont worry about it im in a hurry but if you want you can throw me a tenner towards some petrol"

he says "sorry all i have is platsic" .. and i said no worries its cool and let it slide.

But when i got back into my car i got the distinct gut wrenching feeling that if it would have been the other way around he would have screwed me from every angle possible. It was like a 6th sense, he just had that air about him

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

but i do always wonder in cases like this if the tables were turned and your father-in-law had hit her, would she of been so decent? Or would she of tried taking people to the cleaners?

Who knows. Maybe if you were to trip and fall on the street, they'd kick you in the head and steal your wallet. I'm sure most people are decent enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Lorax should consider himself lucky he'll be back in a month ( I wonder will he behave himself then ) if he tried that stunt on askaboutmoney.com he would be banned for life. There are ways to get back on but I won't mention them here.

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote:
    Lorax should consider himself lucky he'll be back in a month ( I wonder will he behave himself then ) if he tried that stunt on askaboutmoney.com he would be banned for life. There are ways to get back on but I won't mention them here.

You get banned on ask about money for having a "bearish" argument so I wouldn't use that as the beacon of moderation.

But this was an obvious troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Well the troll did some good. I needed to make a decision regrading something this week and although it was completely unrelated it steered me in the right direction. I'm a better person for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

I damaged a persons car when I was also a learner driver, didn't go through insurance but paid for both his and my car myself because the accident was my fault. €2800 in total I was and still am a student but somehow I managed to pay it hmmm....

Just because it was a 5-series Bmw you presume the owner has his head up his arse or someting? Person most probably worked hard for that car and you just mill into it and drive off? If you ever own a 5-series Bmw I doubt you would be happy to have some complete idiot drive into it and then piss off?

You sir are a moron.

/endrant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

C_Breeze wrote:
    yeah thats very true. early last year i got a smack off a 06 lexus, he broke his front reg plate , and there was a tiny scrape on my back bumber.... I said "dont worry about it im in a hurry but if you want you can throw me a tenner towards some petrol"

he says "sorry all i have is platsic" .. and i said no worries its cool and let it slide.

But when i got back into my car i got the distinct gut wrenching feeling that if it would have been the other way around he would have screwed me from every angle possible. It was like a 6th sense, he just had that air about him
    Jees I'd no idea there was such lovely drivers out there. I don't think these things go unnoticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Jees I'd no idea there was such lovely drivers out there. I don't think these things go unnoticed.

Well it was valentines day, It was lashing rain and I was in a hurry to my Gf's!

...I just hope that should I ever have the misfortune of bumping somebody, karma will return the favour ... and not get sued for whiplash or something :rolleyes: heheh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭UsedtobePC

I must be the unluckiest car owner when it comes to who's on the receiving end of the "accident". I've had my car about two years and even though I've never hit anything it still has more dents than a golf ball.
    I've had the front wing scratched, the wing mirror case cracked, the other wing mirror completely broken (this was some kn**er outside my house) but the one that annoyed me the most was a huge dent on the back door in the car park at work. The culprit never owned up to it and I was unlucky in that the security cameras didn't cover the spot where I was parked so I could never catch them. I sincerely hope karma catches up with them and that they get a nasty paper cut next time they open their mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

Surely this is one of the many reasons our insurance costs are high - someone has to pay for it and you can be sure the insurance companies won't!

I know accidents happen and we all had to learn somewhere - but, I have one question, how fast were you reversing at to do that amount of damage? can you imagine if a child had run round the back of that 5 series?!?!

It's all about thinking Lorax - just think what could happen, most likely that is why the Garda pulled you for doing your 0-60 test, that is not safe driving, you never know what can happen and you should drive accordingly.

And before you saw anything, no, I am not an OAP, I drive a high performance car and I worked my ass off to afford the thing and I would be very unhappy if someone hit my car and left the scene!

Richie.

C_Breeze wrote:
    Well it was valentines day, It was lashing rain and I was in a hurry to my Gf's!

...I just hope that should I ever have the misfortune of bumping somebody, karma will return the favour ... and not get sued for whiplash or something :rolleyes: heheh
    Shhhmmmmoooootth!!:D

UsedtobePC wrote:
    I must be the unluckiest car owner when it comes to who's on the receiving end of the "accident". I've had my car about two years and even though I've never hit anything it still has more dents than a golf ball.
    I've had the front wing scratched, the wing mirror case cracked, the other wing mirror completely broken (this was some kn**er outside my house) but the one that annoyed me the most was a huge dent on the back door in the car park at work. The culprit never owned up to it and I was unlucky in that the security cameras didn't cover the spot where I was parked so I could never catch them. I sincerely hope karma catches up with them and that they get a nasty paper cut next time they open their mail.
    :eek: Where do you park???!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I've got something i've been meaning to get off my chest for a while... LORAX'S MA! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement