Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darren Bent Signs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

what do we honestly think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

Good signing, but is this now curtains for Jermain?

to be honest it does look that way. I think defoe knows it too. bent is a good signing but imo it was way way to much to pay for a person who will lets face it sit on the bench. having said that i think he could link up well with berba. but should we not really be looking to strengthen our defence????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

You never know what will happen with injuries during a season I'd rather have Bent as backup then Defoe. Just need a decent left full and tough tackling Midfielder now!

when u put it that way its agood signing. bent provides muscle to the side. will be a big asset in terms of uefa cup and fa cup. might provide the presence and skill to see us over the finish line in terms of cup success which would be great. really need a holding midfielder. someone with a big presence who can provide direction. we are in real need of a decent left full. we conceded a terrible amount of goals last season. it felt that if the opposing team scored two then we had to score three. we need to win games convincingly. its a basic requirement. hopefully we will get that this season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm very happy. We were lucky with Berbatov only being out for a couple of games, but if he had been injured for a month or two we'd have really struggled to score. Now we have an excellent player who will be more than a sub. He'll challenge both players I feel, and will start his share of games too.

He offers more than both Defoe and Mido - he's a quick as Defoe, has as good a shot, beats the offside trap, is as good in the air as Mido, and is hungry to do well with us, as is evident by him not going to West Ham. What's not to like!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

I've just put a tenner at 28/1 on Bent to be top Premiership scorer for 07-08. Generous odds I think! :D

he is a good player no doubt about it and he is quick and strong. but was he worth 16.5m? do you honestly think he will challenge the keane/berbatov partnership?i hope he does because if you have to fight for your place in the team it will keep both berba and keane on their toes. what do we do about the midfield though?we need to address that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Not a Spurs fan but this signing is just crazy. I've read here that he's a good player that links up well; whats this based on?? What has he actually achieved to justify the huge transfer fee?
    Is he worth the same as Henry.
    thegills

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It is a lot money in relation to some other transfers but the transfer market is changing and I think the fee makes sense for the buyers (Spurs), particularly given the increasing money that is coming into the league. Proven premiership goal-scorers are rare, much less ones who are only 23 years old.

The comparisons with Henry are silly. Bent has resale value, Henry does not. Henry has injury concerns, Bent does not. Bent has the guts of a decade left to play, Henry does not.

He would have been a good signing for any Premiership team. He may never be an absolute world-beater, but he is a solid investment and he'll pay that £16m back in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Just watch him fly with a better team around him ....

Sure its alot of money, but its spread over 3 years not one lump sum, signed a contract upto 6 years ... which will no doubt take him to hios prime ..and he has resale value ..he's not an uknown quantity, has scored alot of goals for Charlton in a relegation battle ... and runs and runs his heart out ...besides he turned down the spammers for half the money :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭cxcully

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T2KjqI9p1s

I'm happy-but not at the price.Pace,two good feet and good in the air......I hope he turns out to be a self-confident striker,not like most overhyped English players (dare I say it like Ian Wright) and not as frustrating as Defoe.
    I'd be happier if we got a decent left-winger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Good signing

Not sure tbh.

but is this now curtains for Jermain?

certainly looks like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,713 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

This is a huge gamble for the money we paid for him, Jol must really rate him, Rebrov might lose his title as most expansive Spurs flop

Snake

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i think bent is going to be a good signing.

hes not going to have the settling in period troubles that many players have, simply becuase he knows half the squad from international duty.
    nad bent is a better all round player than defoe, and doesnt need the ball put on his toe for him to score. he can run off the shoulder of the defence, something that defoe cant do.

but i dont see this as curtains for defoe. i see no reason why we cant have 4 players rotated, after all, we are going to try and play around 50-60 games again this year! possibly more if we get all the way in all the cups!

as ive seen other people put it, i see no reason why bent and berbatov wouldnt become the main pairings with defoe and keane. i also see no reason why bent and berbatov cant play together either.

yes, its huge money, but i wouldnt compare it against henry. what pepe said suffices for me. what it does mean is that spurs have now hit the big time with signings, and that means we are now playing with the big boys. and it means we are now expected to do something with some silverwear.

yep, its big money. its a gamble. but the same is said for every other player that costs over 10 million these days. its just that we dont have the resources of chelsea to buy a ballack and a shevchenko every year and not have them perform.

now, if we can just prise fabergast of essien away... ;)

oh, and no, i dont think 16 million is too expecnsive for bent. if thats what it takes, then its not too expensive. he turns out to be a complete failure, then its not too expensive, its a waste of money. fees paid these days are subjective. if walcott goes on to score the winner in every game this year for arsenal, then i think 10 million would seem a sheap price to pay for him. if he gets 15 minutes play in the season, then that seems like a waste of money, and a waste of time for the young fella.

but spurs went out of their way to really try and get bent, so i reckon those fellas at the lane know what they are up to. im backing them to be right too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Should put your mind at ease guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VU6pLTw6SI

The kid plays off the last defender and goes like a rocket. He should bag the goals that Jermaine and has to be said Robbie seem to miss alot of the time!

See you in the CL 2008.....

COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

it would be nice to have two strikers in the team that can actually score in a one on one situation.
    god knows robbie is the worse striker in the world in one on one positions.
    of course, if you want someone to volley in a 300 mile an hour shot with your back to goal from a bizarre angle, then keanos the man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 monvoy

great thats the stike force sorted.
    Has anyone heard anything of a deal with man u involving defoe for alan smith + cash?? Smith might add some bite to the midfield which I think we are in great need of.
    Also, anyone know if its true that Huddlestone is off to reading or not???

Advertisement