Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saxophone tuning?

Options
  • 29-06-2007 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Recently got a lovely looking Sax for my wife from ebay.
    Its not an actual brand though supposedly its manufactured in the same factory as one and is the same except there is no actual brand stamp on it... though there is engraving of a sort of flower.
    Its this one here: http://cgi.ebay.ie/Quality-Tenor-Saxophone-Musical-Instrument-Package-Sax_W0QQitemZ300114308824QQihZ020QQcategoryZ16234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyway it arrived very well etc but 2 things struck me.. there is a tiny dent in the neck which i think is probably not good, its very small though.
    Also when she tried playing, and bearing in mind she has not played in over 10 years... The higher notes are sqeaky or something like that.
    When she mailed the seller she was told that due to being packed and corked etc it needs to be tweaked, which i assume means tuned.

So my question is, where do i get this done? And how much will it cost?
    I assume somewhere like Waltons would do it. Better to ask people who get it done though so i can get the best deal :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't play the sax - but I used to play the clarinet. All the notes should be in tune with each other. It may be possible to alter the overall pitch by slightly extending the neck but there should be no real need if she is playing solo.

The squeaky notes could be down to a poor reed in the mouthpiece or one that is not suitable. Maybe buy a couple of different reeds (in Waltons etc) and try them out.

I play the clarinet very seldom nowadays and usually I get squeaky notes from me bieng a bit rusty - after a few hours practice I usually get the hang of it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Maybe its just that then. Its only the higher notes. The lower notes seem to be fine.

does anyone know can tutors do this kind of stuff? It might be more economical to get her a few lessons and then her tutor could check the sax is in tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Yes, sounds like it's all down to what we call "embrochure".....the tonal developement of the muscles in your lips, cheeks, and jaw. Wind instrumentalists need to build up embrochure through practice. If she hasn't played in years, those muscles will be weak.

Could be leaky pads, etc., but let her play it for a couple of weeks before taking it to a local pro for adjustments.

Advertisement