Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

my tax is up - question

Options
  • 29-06-2007 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

a bit of a picke here.

my tax is up on the 30th june on my car.

i just bought it 2 weeks ago, so i have to go to the tax office to do it.

im waiting for my insurance disc to arrive in the post - do i need this to tax the car?
    2nd: im moving houses this weekend (and will be working like a dog as from monday) - should i go to the tax office now and do it even though im not in the new address? my car ownership and insurance details are on my old address. what do i need to do first, second, etc ?

lastly, they sent me back the ownership details and misspelt my name, how do i get them to correct it?at the tax office?

thanks for replying!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Is this your first car? If not and you have taxed a car before then try ringing the motortax.ie people and tell them. The put me on hold for a few mins and gave me a pin number so i could tax my new (second hand) car online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

no, its my first car...

so defo have to go down there. but about the name correction and address change, would they do it there? and do they need to see insurance info?have a policy number and can drive, but documents havent arrived yet. do i have to change my insurance address first?

i dont have to tax it before its up right?i have a few days after it expires? i hope so, its up sunday and im still waiting for the insurance documents :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Saruman wrote:
    Is this your first car? If not and you have taxed a car before then try ringing the motortax.ie people and tell them. The put me on hold for a few mins and gave me a pin number so i could tax my new (second hand) car online.

Did they actually give you the pin over the phone ? I tried this a couple of weeks ago when i misplaced my renewal notice, and they were adament that they will only post pins to car owners address, and never give them out over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You don't need the actual disk - the policy number itself will do. If you don't have this to hand you can easily get it from the insurance company over the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Saruman wrote:

I don't think this is the case, I was in the same position as the OP a little while ago and the person in motortax.ie couldn't give me the PIN number as it would have been sent out to the previous owner. This is the reason why people taxing a second hand car (their) first time have to go in person.

OP - if your tax is out of date on 30/6 you have a few weeks to get your car taxed. The change in address etc is seperate to taxing your car and when you send the cert back to amend your address you can get your name corrected too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Spipov wrote:
    i dont have to tax it before its up right?i have a few days after it expires? i hope so, its up sunday and im still waiting for the insurance documents :(

If the date on the disc is 06-07 then you have until the end of July to get it done. With a second hand car the seller should also have taken care of the change of ownership forms.

yes, all change of ownership details are done. i have got the new registration under my name (misspelt of course). insurance company sent me an email with the policy number just now. so i guess this is all enough to go and get the car taxed with my new address and corrected name?

Advertisement