Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Martens

• 29-06-2007 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

I spent last night on the Curragh (badger watching!!! But that's another thread:) ). There was a barn nearby and house martins are nesting in it. Anyway, there was some very heavy rain during the night and this caused much commotion among the mentioned birds. As soon as dawn broke they swooped down into the field and collected lots of mud and cow/sheep dung for hours. I am assuming that the nests were damaged by the rain.

Would there be a chance that they are still feeding young or would they have probably chanced a second brood? I can't find a reference to second broods in any of my books. Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

They can have 2nd broods, my mother has them breed outside her window and the 2nd brood often doesn't leave the nest till September. My swallows are still sitting on their first brood of eggs in my garage, hopefully they will hatch any day.

Swallows and house martins seem to have suffered from the dry spring, lack of mud I guess. They didn't attempt to make a nest until mid June which is very late. I just have this one pair of swallows and no house martins at all this year.

Advertisement