Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you eat the 'vein' at the back of a prawn

• 29-06-2007 11:28am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Curious to see what people's attitudes are to the small waste-line that run's down a prawn's/shrimp's back.

Do you eat it?

Do you eat the 'vein' at the back of a prawn 8 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    0% 0 votes
    Depends
    100% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

If it is small like a thread, I find that it doesn't taint the taste of the prawn, but the bigger veins have a definite muddy taste that is unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

What you are referring to are the intestines of the Prawn. They should be washed properly to remove them but wont do you any harm to eat them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

What you are referring to are the intestines of the Prawn. They should be washed properly to remove them but wont do you any harm to eat them.

I know they won't do any harm I eat them regularly depending on the dish.

In a few countries they wouldn't even dream of removing it, hence the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It kind of depends a bit .. if you're cooking the prawns whole in the shell, or just the tails with the shell on then there's not a lot you can do really, although sometimes when pulling the body off, you'll often pull out a good bit of the gut with it too.

I got some tiger prawn tails the other day and for the dish I was preparing it suited me to peel them. About 50% of them didn't appear to have any gut at all, of the remainder about 50% of those had a small one that wouldn't have bothered me, but a few had really quite large brown guts which I wouldn't have really fancied eating tbh. But, like I said, if you're cooking them whole anyway you'll eat them without realising, and probably be none the worse for the experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

eugh!
    prawn poop.
    ick ick ick.
    no no no

• Advertisement
Advertisement