Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lesnar vs Angle - Tonight

• 29-06-2007 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

From the Wrestling Observer:
    Brock Lesnar arrived in Japan yesterday holding the old IWGP title and saying he would defend the title on tomorrow night's show in Sumo Hall. Lesnar was IWGP champion, and because he was owed money by New Japan, never sent them back the belt, so he will defend against most likely Kurt Angle.

While it's probably not going to be a great match, as Brock's got more important things going on in his life, it's still something I never thought we'd see again. I'm sure it'll be Brock's last pro-wrestling match, for a good while anyway

For those who know anything about New Japan, Yuji Nagata is their current IWGP champion, he won a new version of the belt when he beat Hiroshi Tanahashi on the same week as that hour long Cena vs Michaels match. The matches were very similar in a lot of ways. So this will probably lead to a Nagata vs Angle match, which could be very good

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Fozzy wrote:

While it's probably not going to be a great match, as Brock's got more important things going on in his life, it's still something I never thought we'd see again. I'm sure it'll be Brock's last pro-wrestling match, for a good while anyway

For those who know anything about New Japan, Yuji Nagata is their current IWGP champion, he won a new version of the belt when he beat Hiroshi Tanahashi on the same week as that hour long Cena vs Michaels match. The matches were very similar in a lot of ways. So this will probably lead to a Nagata vs Angle match, which could be very good

Nagata v Angle would have been amazing this time 3 years ago, but Angle is in such bad condition atm that he might actually need to be carried.

Granted Yuji Nagata would be just the very man to do that.
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Fozzy wrote:

Why, what are Lesnar's plans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

His plans are MMA all the way. I doubt he'd want to take too much of a risk wrestling, as the money is all there for him to make in MMA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Cool. This better surface on dailymotion tomorrow.
    Let's how Brock tears him a new one.

Im sure it will be around tomorrow somewere . I dont expect anything from this either. Although im loving angle in Japan . This guy can only get better from this .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

although im certain that brock wont go all out in this match tonight im really looking forward to seeing him in a wrestling ring just one more time against a guy as talented as kurt.
    Im really looked forward to seeing a technical wrestling match regardless of how "all out" lesnar goes.Cant wait until I see this tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

doont no anything about this japan wrestling but is this real ie not fixed matchs

Just some more info on this show for those interested...

You might have heard some stuff about the "Inoki Genome Federation", well, this is their first show. It starts in about 5 hours and there's still no official card announced. It's not a New Japan show, so the belt Lesnar is defending doesn't seem to have anything to do with New Japan. Antonio Inoki paid for the belt when it was first introduced to New Japan though

Josh Barnett is confirmed to be at the show, don't know if he's actually competing or not. Rumoured to be at it are Ken Shamrock, Don Frye, Mark Coleman, Lyoto Machida, Bas Rutten and Tommy Morrison, as well as a good few Japanese wrestlers, most of whom are pretty capable in MMA. Looks like it might end up being a worked shoot style show
    is this real ie not fixed matchs

I'd be very certain that Lesnar and Angle (if it actually does go down) would be a worked match (not real). But with so many MMA guys there, they might have some shoot matches (real). But then again, most of the MMA guys rumoured have competed in pro-wrestling before (most of them were crap though), so they might end up doing worked matches. But like I said, it'll probably be "worked shoots", where they look like they're going at it for real, but they won't really be

EDIT: Oh, and Kevin Randleman is heavily rumoured to be at this too

Oh, I got mixed up with the time difference, I thought they were 12 hours ahead in Japan and I was reading old updates. Well, they're 12 hours behind and the show has taken place already (or the other way around, I'm a bit slow today)

Results are below:
    1. Lingerie Mutoh defeated Yuki Ishikawa in 7 minutes, 6 seconds with a soccer-ball kick.

2. Rocky Romero defeated El Blazer in 6 minutes, 9 seconds with a cross-arm scissors hold for the referee stoppage.

3. Kevin Randleman defeated Alexander Otsuka in 5 minutes, 9 seconds with a powerbomb.

4. Michiyoshi Ohara defeated Taka Kuno in 6 minutes, 5 seconds with a tombstone pile-driver.

5. Kiyoshi Tamura & Ryuki Ueyama defeated Hidehisa Matsuda & Yuki Kotake in 15 minutes, 47 seconds when Tamura used a hiza-jujigatame on Matsuda for the submission.

6. Josh Barnett defeated Hollywood Tadao Yasuda in 4 minutes, 17 seconds with a cross-arm scissors hold.

7. Naoya Ogawa defeated Mark Coleman in 6 minutes, 44 seconds with a sleeper hold for the referee stoppage.

8. IWGP 3rd belt title match: Kurt Angle defeated Brock Lesnar in 10 minutes, 36 seconds with an ankle lock.

Randleman, Barnett and Coleman fought, and Angle and Lesnar were in the main event

And for those of you who like spoiler photos, here are a few:

http://66.249.91.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/fight/photo/200706/20070629179.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dyahoo%2Bjapan%2Bsport%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den
    http://66.249.91.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/news/photo%3Fa%3D20070629-00000045-spnavi-fight.view-000&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dyahoo%2Bjapan%2Bsport%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/fight/photo/200706/20070629196.html

And one of Mark Coleman for good measure:
    http://66.249.91.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/fight/photo/200706/20070629178.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dyahoo%2Bjapan%2Bsport%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den

• Advertisement

Not yet, I'm not even sure if it aired on ppv or tv yet. I'm sure a copy of it will surface soon though, but it'd be night time at the moment in Japan and probably unlikely to be up too soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Goebels

Um, just because there were MMA guys at this show doesn't mean the matches were shoot. They were all worked. This happens in Japan all the time....

Goebels wrote:
    Um, just because there were MMA guys at this show doesn't mean the matches were shoot. They were all worked. This happens in Japan all the time....

I know, I've seen enough shows! But this was the first event by this promotion, and the promoter (Antonio Inoki) has promoted shoot matches in the past, so I think I can be forgiven for not being totally sure about all the matches!

I didn't really mean you to be honest, but when one of the matches ended in some kind of piledriver... I mean, I dunno about you, but I've never seen an MMA match where it ended like that.

Angle vs Nagata is sure to happen to unify the belts, and it would be an interesting match for sure. Nagata is on ****ing fire this year so I have high hopes for it even if I think Angle is awful right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Has anyone found a video of it?

Goebels wrote:
    I didn't really mean you to be honest, but when one of the matches ended in some kind of piledriver... I mean, I dunno about you, but I've never seen an MMA match where it ended like that.

Did you watch the Ultimate Fighter finale last week? There was a match that ended with a DDT!

I'm not sure if Nagata's going to be involved with this at all now. The belt that was defended had been the IWGP belt, which New Japan stripped Brock of. He still had the physical belt though, which Inoki owned. But now Inoki's claiming that this belt is the new IGF Heavyweight title, so Nagata as the IWGP champ is unlikely to be involved from where I see it. New Japan were threatening to take the IGF to court over this

No sign of any video of it just yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Wow, Angle looks flabby!

Fozzy wrote:
    Did you watch the Ultimate Fighter finale last week? There was a match that ended with a DDT!

I'm not sure if Nagata's going to be involved with this at all now. The belt that was defended had been the IWGP belt, which New Japan stripped Brock of. He still had the physical belt though, which Inoki owned. But now Inoki's claiming that this belt is the new IGF Heavyweight title, so Nagata as the IWGP champ is unlikely to be involved from where I see it. New Japan were threatening to take the IGF to court over this

No sign of any video of it just yet
    Yeah that fight was right out of pro wrestling...

Inoki is crazy, but i think it'll eventually end in Nagata beating Angle for it. I thought Angle was going to be the mediator in between all this, and I think Inoki is just talking BS right now.

Also speaking of Japan, ya gotta love the fact that HUSTLE is bringing in OJ Simpson.

There's a link to Angle vs Lesnar in the video thread
    Decent enough match I thought, better than I expected. Brock took more bumps than I thought he would, fair play to him. He got some real nice belly-to-bellies in, real cool seein the F-5 again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Thanks Fozzy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement