Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Top Secret World Of Washing Machine Repairs

Options
  • 29-06-2007 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭

Being as mean as they come, not to mention always willing to have a go at fixing something, even though I know nothing, I'm trying to fix a washing machine.

The machine is part of the Electrolux/Zanussi/Tricity Bendix family.

I discovered that a flashing "end" light means something specific, depending on how many times it flashes. The instruction leaflet explains the flashes upto groups of 4. Our machine flashes 5 times.

An internet search proved useless, so I emailed Electrolux, asking them what 5 flashes mean. They replied, telling me to request that they get an engineer out (minimum€70 call-out charge).

I told them that I would like some idea as to what the 5 flashes mean, and what the end-charge was likely to be in the region of. They repeated that, if I agreed, they would get an engineer to call me, and that he might give me some idea as to the cost.

I also saw mention that, when a machine has a problem, and the problem is fixed, there are reset codes to remove the memory of the problem from the machine. Apparently, if the reset isn't done, the machine still thinks that there is something wrong and doesn't work.

I appreciate that engineers have to earn a living, but when there are "up for it" fools like me around, we should be given the necessary information that will assist us in not having to sit around waiting for a man in a van to show up. I would expect to see something in consumer law that tells me that the secrecy isn't allowed.

If the motor industry had the same policy, people like Halfords wouldn't exist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

how old is it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

ejmaztec wrote:
    Being as mean as they come, not to mention always willing to have a go at fixing something, even though I know nothing, I'm trying to fix a washing machine.

The machine is part of the Electrolux/Zanussi/Tricity Bendix family.

I discovered that a flashing "end" light means something specific, depending on how many times it flashes. The instruction leaflet explains the flashes upto groups of 4. Our machine flashes 5 times.

An internet search proved useless, so I emailed Electrolux, asking them what 5 flashes mean. They replied, telling me to request that they get an engineer out (minimum€70 call-out charge).

I told them that I would like some idea as to what the 5 flashes mean, and what the end-charge was likely to be in the region of. They repeated that, if I agreed, they would get an engineer to call me, and that he might give me some idea as to the cost.

I also saw mention that, when a machine has a problem, and the problem is fixed, there are reset codes to remove the memory of the problem from the machine. Apparently, if the reset isn't done, the machine still thinks that there is something wrong and doesn't work.

I appreciate that engineers have to earn a living, but when there are "up for it" fools like me around, we should be given the necessary information that will assist us in not having to sit around waiting for a man in a van to show up. I would expect to see something in consumer law that tells me that the secrecy isn't allowed.

If the motor industry had the same policy, people like Halfords wouldn't exist.

The machine needs software to run and a way of putting info into the machine. You most likely have no knowledge of the software or the device needed even if you did. Stupid fecking things. I came across them many times and found that if they have no power they reset ;). (look for batteries)

Buy a hotpoint next time. Simple belt driven, knob and dial system.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's not even three years old. All of the major parts are supposed to be guaranteed for 5 years, but I'd still have to hand over the €70 before I found out what was wrong. A dirty filthy trick. I've been electrocuted and bloodied by better machines than this!

My wife, knowing well my incompetence when mixing water and electricity, told me not to touch it, so I'll wait for her to go out before I start poking around looking for evidence, like batteries and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As a man with the same mentality, I'd get the roof off it and check the wiring connectors from the control box to the loom. I bet one is dirty or loose! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

yes i would say so. any way washing machine aren't rocket science just open it and have look (and about 5 year warranty i never pay a cent for extended warranty as it cost to much €€€€€)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

why should a company tell u there reset codes or what the flashing 5 times indicates ? does the gas board tell u how to fix ur own boiler? does the esb tell u how to fix there meters ? if ur car is broke down does the manufacturer have a number u can ring and then tell u how to fix it urself? no ,and the reason being is that u arnt competent to meddle with the electrical circuits of a programme board ,or at least that is what the company will assume and they are correct in there dealings with u -

on a helpful note if u are taking any connectors off the board to check them make 100% sure they are back on correctly and not loose ,if they are not and u power back up u will most likely blow the board which will be costly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's "you" knighted. The word is "you".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Regarding your washing machine problem:

If you not competent working with electrical equipment it would be safer to pay the €70 as its a lot less than your funeral would cost.

If you are still willing to risk your life, and the lives of those close to you, for the sake of about the cost of a night out, try the following sites for advice.

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=34

http://www.howtomendit.com/questions.php?id=40&page=198

Googling might find other similar sites

Try entering the make AND model number into the search box with the word "fault" or something similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's just a bloody washing machine ffs. It can be plugged out or disconnected. If it has caps, they'll be small. If he wants to have a go off fixing it, leave him at it, it's his loss if he breaks it. Bloody ninnies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

knighted wrote:
    why should a company tell u there reset codes or what the flashing 5 times indicates ? does the gas board tell u how to fix ur own boiler? does the esb tell u how to fix there meters ? if ur car is broke down does the manufacturer have a number u can ring and then tell u how to fix it urself? no ,and the reason being is that u arnt competent to meddle with the electrical circuits of a programme board ,or at least that is what the company will assume and they are correct in there dealings with u -

on a helpful note if u are taking any connectors off the board to check them make 100% sure they are back on correctly and not loose ,if they are not and u power back up u will most likely blow the board which will be costly

Calm down, there’s no need to blow a fuse!:D

No manufacturer should keep any relevant information from the consumer.

I wouldn’t ask the gas board how to fix a boiler, I’d do it myself, as I have done in the past.
    I wouldn’t fix an ESB meter as it is illegal to tamper with it.

Thanks to the detailed fault codes released by the motor manufacturers, the average DIY’er knows what the problem is with his car, then deciding whether he can repair the fault himself, or leave it to a garage.

If no manufacturer released error codes, you would have to call out an engineer every five minutes to wake up any errant household item containing a computer chip. What would you do if your DVD player had an error code on the LCD display? You would be sitting there waiting for the engineer to show up before you could watch the DVD.

In my particular case, after extracting the necessary information from the manufacturer, I’ve discovered that the problem lies with the motor or the PCB or the motor brushes. If it’s either of the first two items, my paying €70 to an engineer, is a lot less expensive than buying either of the two items. If it turns out to be the motor brushes, it would cost a lot less than €70 to fix.

So now, no 240 volts ripping up my arm and giving me an Afro hair-style. I'm a bodger not a Kamikaze pilot!

I see that in the UK, interested parties are taking the white goods manufacturers to the Office of Fair Trading because they won’t hand over the error-code information.

Thanks Dahamsta for your words of support, much appreciated ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ibjiba

Good luck and let us know if you managed to reset the machine!

Advertisement