Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A Jag, What Would You Do?

Options
  • 29-06-2007 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hey,

My current car is falling apart, the latest thing to happen is the key won't turn in the ignition. Caused a bit of panic the other day. So its time to get a new car. I have been looking at a 01 X Type Jag. The price looks good. But I have a few concerns. Its a private seller, who imported it from the UK. So i have a couple of questions. I want to get it checked out if I really like it but got quoted 445 by the AA to look at it. Which I think is a bit steep and second is 75,000 miles too much for that car. Am I going to get killed with repairs over the years. The ad says they were UK motorway miles. I figure those miles would be a lot easier than the equivalent Irish miles.

Good car, bad car. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

If it's a diesel it's low milleage?

Get a hpi check done.You can buy these cars very cheap in the UK but are very hard to sell on

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

a X type diesel is a mondeo in drag, . Cramped and uncomfortable for the cash, I'd look elsewhere,

that said personal taste is your own.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Might be cheaper to seek one out in the UK yourself.

If your buying it cheap it could work out to be a good purchase. Diesel would probably be the best. Either way make sure that you get a full UK HPI check done on the car in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

I would love a jag but i was always a little fearful beacuse of the lack of them around. I just bought a merc 220d avantgarde. Again like you an english import, they mind their cars better that the irish, their roads are much better, the origional spec is usually better. On the flip side check out the underneath of the car, raod salt can do a lot of damage. The last 220d i had developed a problem with the exhaust because of the amount of salt. Check the documents ect

The milage if its a deisel is normal enought, the car is good for 250k

Are parts expensive?

Post a pic so we can oggle over it

Another point is that you can a number plate to match the county you are in. This might not be an issue for you, but personaly i like having a LK number plate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

They always say they are "motorway miles".Sales talk ,nothing more:rolleyes:.
    You'll hear the same about Irish cars in a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Find a similar age / mileage Mondeo Ghia (or Executive) Diesel, buy that and get a smug grin from knowing you've saved a fortune for what's essentially the same car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭legoman

No its not a diesel, its the 2.5 petrol. Is that too much mileage for a petrol? And is a AA style check necessary. Is a Hpi check enough. I looked at Autotrader and Parkers websites to make comparison. I saw a good few so I can understand where the guy got the car but the VRT is huge so when i did the maths it didn't ad up that well. By the time you do currency conversion and add the VRT.

It looks like its been registered in ireland already. It has irish reg plates in the ad so I'll have to get the english reg of him for the hpi check.

As for the selling on. I will probably trade it in rather than try and sell it on.

Has anyone here bought a car in the UK and paid the VRT and the and still found it to be worth it.

626697_20070615110635_2.jpg
    626697_20070615110657_4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'm not saying don't buy it - it does like nice, btw..........but, being
    a) petrol
    b) Jag
    c) 2.5 litres (= not cheap to run, big tax)

....means you'll never sell it, or trade it for anything other than peanuts, in a couple of years. And now that the Greens are in power, you mightn't even get that..........:eek:

But, if you like it, and get it for peanuts now.............I'd say fire ahead !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I think that they're quite a nice car. Only drove one briefly a few years ago, but liked it.

As for the mileage, I wouldn't consider that to be high; 12,500 per annum. The diesel Jags weren't released until a few years after that car, IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

A friend of mine has the 3.0. Nice car. And a bit different from your usual run of the mill "luxury" German cars that are common in this country.

The Ford underpinnings are a good thing. He's had zero problems with his. And all the petrols are V6s. I say go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Would you not go for the xj. They are dirt cheap and better looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

legoman wrote:
    Has anyone here bought a car in the UK and paid the VRT and the and still found it to be woth it?

Yes and yes... Brought in an e39 5 from the UK. Better spec and well minded also better range to choose from. A HPI is essential, get the prior UK reg and check it out. Dodgy mileage is rife both here and over the water.

Even with VRT paid you're saving 5-10k and getting better trim level but you need to shop around.

Your Jag is a pretty motor, I had a 3L petrol for a bit and found it nice but was a nightmare to juice 8/10 mpg at best, but I wasn't trying. Overall just wasn't my thing and a bit cramped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Spend about 3000 euros on a 1994 Jaguar xj40 or about 6000 Euros on an x300 1997( okay you will spend the money you saved running it). Have a real Jag. The x type is really a mondeo the early models weren't good. I have no doubt it is a good car but You are paying extra for the badge. BMW have offerings in the same sort of car.

Ok, here's the update. I went to see the car tonite. Lets get the bad things out of the way first. A couple of little things wrong with it. But not deal breakers. So I have a few things of haggle over.

Ok now to the good points. It looks class in my opinion. Bar the scratch on the bonnet the paint is in great nick. I had a good look around the body and everything looked good. There was a small bit of salt damage underneath but nothing serious.

The engine is savage, and the interior is gorgeous. I much prefer the black interior than the cream. Its been taken care of. I had a look at a another one in Cavan on the weekend. It was nice but not as good as the one tonite. The mileage wasn't as high but it didn't have a full service history, it didn't have any service history, this one has a full jag service history. The price is very good.

Thanks for all the comments. I drove a 03 Mondeo Diesel on the weekend so I was able to compare the two.

All in all, the car look class. The price is right so it looks like a goer.

i bought it and its class

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

excellent !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

legoman wrote:
    i bought it and its class

Sweet! all you need now is the pipe and the hat! (-:

Good luck with the car, its a pretty motor.

Advertisement