Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For a laugh.

Options
  • 29-06-2007 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

I need to drain my system soon, and was wondering if anyone has ever used ice cubes in a res before? Do ya think it will do anything at all, or will the temps stay the same?

I was thinking about filling the res up with ice cubes, then adding some water to it to fill it up. And if my chemistry/physics is right, the ice cubes when melted will not raise the waterlevel because of the mass.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

I pressume you want to do this for a few benchmark runs, so the correct way to do this, is not by adding ice cubes in the res, cause they won't be enough + they'll add a lot of cr@p in the water.

The best way to do this, is to remove the fans from your rad and then submerge it in a bucket full of water and ice cubes ;)

Done it loads of times and it works :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

HAha, deadly. Ill give that a go. Thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Anti wrote:

I was thinking about filling the res up with ice cubes, then adding some water to it to fill it up. And if my chemistry/physics is right, the ice cubes when melted will not raise the waterlevel because of the mass.

they will reduce the water level if that matters at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

put salt in the mixture of water and ice *taps nose*,
    Will drop the temperature much lower because it will lower the melting point of the ice. Its the same idea as the way to rapidly cool drinks :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

actually nevermind the adding salt, just had a thinkl about it and it wouldnt actually lower it any more, just keep it low for longer.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

And it would work wonders on the metal parts :O

yeah i was thinking that. I think ill try the bucket of ice and water. Only problem is with this huge over clock to 3.2ghz my registery is getting corupt every day, and i have to do repair installs :( 2.8 was much mroe stable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Anti wrote:
    yeah i was thinking that. I think ill try the bucket of ice and water. Only problem is with this huge over clock to 3.2ghz my registery is getting corupt every day, and i have to do repair installs :( 2.8 was much mroe stable

why keep it @ 3.2 if it is not stable? lol

Its stable enough to do benchmark runs, but not stable for 24 hour orthos.... yet. Im sure if i mess around with voltage options, and timings it will be grand. im at 2.95ghz atm and working my way up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I'd be surprised if my overclock was 24 hours orthos stable but I've still never corrupted a single file or had a single crash because of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

I'd be surprised if my overclock was 24 hours orthos stable but I've still never corrupted a single file or had a single crash because of it!

what is it ?

You obviously dont have vista ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

What CPU and board do you have Anti?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

nibble wrote:
    What CPU and board do you have Anti?

look at his sig

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

DeafVision wrote:
    look at his sig
    Ahh, had to set show sig in options. Was under the impression you were on a C2D rig, yeah if your registry is getting corrupted I'd say it's time to back down on the clock a tad or up the volts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

Beware of anything using ice i had a near miss before due to this .because the room temp is higher that the water temp you will end up with Condensation http://www.ace.mmu.ac.uk/eae/Weather/Older/Condensation.html i did it ages ago with my zalman res and the block and tubing ended up will dew all over them .so you may need to seal the area around the block and so on like you do with a phasechanging or pelit cooling .For a quick over clock i used ammonium nitrate which happens to be an explosive but i used grains of it which i took from the inside of the cold packs we use use in the hospital where i work .like you would put on your ankle if you sprained it . i just poured a big bag of it into the zalman res and gave it a stip and within 30 seconds it shoot the temps down but i had to shut the system down asap due to the Condensation again and the water was a right mess after it it ended up like wallpaper paste :). OOOHHHH they where the days when i had money to burn and cpu's and motherboards LOL ENJOY
    http://www.hwstation.net/screen/SANY0905.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

dubdvd wrote:
    Beware of anything using ice i had a near miss before due to this .because the room temp is higher that the water temp you will end up with Condensation http://www.ace.mmu.ac.uk/eae/Weather/Older/Condensation.html i did it ages ago with my zalman res and the block and tubing ended up will dew all over them .so you may need to seal the area around the block and so on like you do with a phasechanging or pelit cooling .For a quick over clock i used ammonium nitrate which happens to be an explosive but i used grains of it which i took from the inside of the cold packs we use use in the hospital where i work .like you would put on your ankle if you sprained it . i just poured a big bag of it into the zalman res and gave it a stip and within 30 seconds it shoot the temps down but i had to shut the system down asap due to the Condensation again and the water was a right mess after it it ended up like wallpaper paste :). OOOHHHH they where the days when i had money to burn and cpu's and motherboards LOL ENJOY
    http://www.hwstation.net/screen/SANY0905.jpg

Let me guess u got married ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

awhir wrote:
    what is it ?

E6400 at 2.8GHz with a Ninja with no fan attached. I lost one of my ninja's clips so I never attached the fan... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

if you wanna keep trying things just for the sake of it, if ya have a minifridge lying around, put the res in it, it prob wont make a huge difference, but if ppl are willing to spend loads of effort and time on lapping to get a temp decrease of about 1 degree...well, why not mess around with a minifridge?! you could even take the cooling element off the back off a smal fridge and put them INSIDE your pc.... bit OTT...yes, but from reading post over the last few months, the majority of ye are a bit OTT....

Ive decided to scrap this idea and use dry ice to get the cpu to -40c :)

I might throw some dry ice in a bucket and put the res in that when im finished, see what temps i can hit.

• Advertisement

if you wanna keep trying things just for the sake of it, if ya have a minifridge lying around, put the res in it, it prob wont make a huge difference, but if ppl are willing to spend loads of effort and time on lapping to get a temp decrease of about 1 degree...well, why not mess around with a minifridge?! you could even take the cooling element off the back off a smal fridge and put them INSIDE your pc.... bit OTT...yes, but from reading post over the last few months, the majority of ye are a bit OTT....

even though iv never even built a pc yet iv been thinking of this for ages when i eventually have the money t burn ill be giving it a go i hope

edit; just to clarify, not using the element to cool the pc but using the element to cool the water

since were on the topic of liquid cooling tweaks, obviously if you have your radiator outside in this climate, itl seriously decrease temperatures. since aluminium doesnt oxidize (rust), there really isnt a harm having the radiator outside?... would this extra tubing to go outside put too much strain on the pump? or wat (if any) are the drawbacks?

EDIT: Anti, just by the way, water of neglegable salinity tends to solidify, (ie. FREEZE) from 0 celcius downwards, dry ice goes down to -78.5 celcius...so...that could be a little bit of a problem. i know warmer water will constantly be flowing in from after the cpu, but -78.5 is very cold...i think itl still freeze it in a matter of minutes. let us anyway what happens

outside in a bucket of ice water even

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

if ppl are willing to spend loads of effort and time on lapping to get a temp decrease of about 1 degree... the majority of ye are a bit OTT....

gwan... get out, there's the door, howabouts ya use it ya big galoot :D

You've clearly never lapped anything, because, depending on how concave/convex the surface is you could see as much as a 10'c drop in temps. Nothing to be sniffed at for 40 minutes work. But then i'm singing to the deaf here with a C2D at 2.7Ghz :rolleyes:

''gwan... get out, there's the door, howabouts ya use it ya big galoot ''

^^^

aww, you hurt my feelings now...ouch...*sniff*

ya, my cd2 is at 2.7 cause my mobo sucks, temps are 50 at load tho, so if ya wanna donate a decent mobo my direction, ill be your friend...maybe...*cough*

Thanks for the dry ice info. But if i do decide to try dry ice in a bucket i will drain the system and use antifreeze. Only for a short time mind, as i head it will errode copped :(

Anti wrote:
    Thanks for the dry ice info. But if i do decide to try dry ice in a bucket i will drain the system and use antifreeze. Only for a short time mind, as i head it will errode copped :(
    Just putting the dice in a pot with alcohol or anifreeze will give better temps than any other setup you could come up with I'd be willing to bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Was Anti really banned???
    for what???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

how you ban a mod >?

• Advertisement

how do you ban a ledge more like it!...*sniff*, ANTI!...*sniff*...COME BACK!!..:( .........................:p

Advertisement