Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

halfords carrera subway

Options
  • 29-06-2007 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi there, looking that the carrera subway town and trail from halfords. Will mostly be road biking but like the option of spinning off down a trail too. Any opinions on this bike?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

the subways are gresat solid cheap bikes.
    they have gotten rave reviews from the cycling press
    as a commuter, only for really smooth trails though.

halfords as a place for servicing and repair are not so good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MackPaddy

I dont have a subway,but ive a carrera fury which has really blown me away in terms of its performance and components for the price.Anyway have been just browsing this months "What mountain bike" mag and the experts give the subway an 8 out of 10, quoting "Built for the city,but easily good enough for the country" Sounds like a good all rounder on paper anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 KILRB

Thanks for the replies guys, sounds exactly like what I'm after. It looks great but good to hear it can perform too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 colm ó maonaigh

About time I made a contribution but first many thanks to all the posters as I have gleaned so much knowledge from lurking for so long.
    Having read about the Subway on this and other sites I took a trip to Halfords in Drogheda about 2 months ago and on the spur of the moment (there was 1/3 off the 2006 model) I bought it there and then and was regretting rushing in.
    I had been training for a ride from Dublin to Donegal but wasn't confident my own bike had the gear ratio for the 'hills' of Donegal so thats why I wanted a new bike.
    I left Dublin at 0830 and was in Donegal town at 2200 having made several pitstops en route but I was pleasently surprised by the bike (and myself) Unfortunately when I hit the 'hills' I found the gear ratios were just not up to it (never mind my legs) so that is my only criticism of the bike. Also (perhaps it's the norm) but you just get the bare shell, i.e no mudguards, pump etc thrown in.
    In defense of Halfords and their mechanics, I was pleasently surprised by the mechanic in Drogheda who was well on top of his job (ex bicycle-shop owner). The disc brakes were rubbing and it was missing the odd gear at critical times.
    Forgive the rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I had a subway.

Great bike and a really solid commuter. I would stay away from the disc braked version as in cheaper bikes they will end up causing more problems than they are worth.

I really miss it, it was well suited to my daily commute, could have used an extra set of gears for downhill sprints though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement