Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Web Accelerator

Options
  • 29-06-2007 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi there
    I'm new to this forum. I have a 3 modem and I read somewhere about a Web Accelerator product which would compress my data. I can't find it on the 3 web site and their customer care hasn't heard of it. Anyone know anything about this?
    Thanks a mill
    Ruby

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I bet its one of them programs that u have to pay for. If that is what your on about i would not bother. I used one before and it did noting for me. But someone else might be able to shine the light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Is this what you're looking for? I can't find it on the Irish site either, but the UK version is the same:

http://blog.siliconrepublic.com/2007/3-rolls-out-software-to-boost-broadband-experience/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ruby Seven

That's it, thanks Govinda. Mad that 3 customer service knew nothing about it ...or maybe not from what I've read on this forum about the quality of their customer service :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

so is this web accelarator free...or is there a catch down the line??

and is there a link to the download page??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Bear in mind that graphics and flash etc are already highly compressed already and the 3 BB is fast enough for the compressible text parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Web accelerators are so 1991
    everything is compressed.
    Most web servers and browsers do on the fly compress/decompress
    Those "web accelerators" can "break" interactive content. It's a gimick and more to go wrong.

well i use onspeed and its ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

They do more than just compression. The problem with mobile broadband is that the latency is huge so getting all the various images individually increases load time. These tools use multi-part to download the entire page with images in one go. There are a few other clever things that can be done at IP level as well but I doubt that's done in this case.

Your browser can do that and NOTHING cures latency. If these gadgets help at all it is very slight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Your browser can create multi-part content at source? Interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Tried this last week and did notice a slight improvement in page loading times, but with crap pictures/graphics. Guess it could be handy for dial-up users. Anyway, heres the download page.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

install firefox

then http://fasterfox.mozdev.org/ fasterfox

then increase http pipeline requests to 32 or 48 using fasterfox

so by using this web accelatrator thingy..it increases my download cap from 10gb to 13gb......yes??

It has no effect on your cap,

Listen the the Sponge. Those Firefoxy settings do the same thing, and at the end of the day won't fix a slow connection or latency.

watty wrote:
    It has no effect on your cap,

Listen the the Sponge. Those Firefoxy settings do the same thing, and at the end of the day won't fix a slow connection or latency.

Are u sure it does not improve Latency.?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,784 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BadCharlie wrote:
    Are u sure it does not improve Latency.?

Yes, software is, as yet, unable to compensate for the limitations of the laws of physics :rolleyes:

latency will be HORRIBLE with pings around 300ms until 2009

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

MYOB wrote:
    Yes, software is, as yet, unable to compensate for the limitations of the laws of physics :rolleyes:

That's just crappy coding for ya. :p

Sponge Bob wrote:
    latency will be HORRIBLE with pings around 300ms until 2009

Why until 2009 ?
    Is it cause the world is going to end, and it wont matter there after...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

We have this 3 broadband and pings are usually 250ms and go up to 300ms sometimes. I've see 900ms ping from it once so far.

Note: we do only have one bar coverage with it.

• Advertisement

brim4brim wrote:
    We have this 3 broadband and pings are usually 250ms and go up to 300ms sometimes. I've see 900ms ping from it once so far.

Note: we do only have one bar coverage with it.

Have one bar my self and sometimes none and it still works. Ping in WoW is about 300ms at the best and sometimes goes sky high. But mostly hangs around 650ms but have only had it for a week and the past week the weather has been well bad. Might improve when the weather improves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

BadCharlie wrote:
    Have one bar my self and sometimes none and it still works. Ping in WoW is about 300ms at the best and sometimes goes sky high. But mostly hangs around 650ms but have only had it for a week and the past week the weather has been well bad. Might improve when the weather improves.

Yeah same here, drop out of coverage sometimes but it still works when there is no coverage. If its been off, we have to move it near to window to get coverage and then we can move it back and it'll keep it with no bars for some reason.

We are getting a USB extension cable so we can bring it round to the window permanantly as we are probably going to need this for at least the next year or two until another operator can service us with wireless or landline (if eircom bother enabling the exchanges they said they were enabling).

edit----

Looking for a booster for it.

Found this:
    http://www.poyntingdirect.co.za/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=K-LPDA-A0020

However it only works with the datacard but maybe of use to someone with the datacard instead of the datamodem.
    with regard to the note about the modem in their FAQ, this is what it says:
    What adapter is used for the HUAWEI USB Modem?
    The Huawei USB Modem does not have a plug or jack for an external antenna. We have had various requests for an external antenna for this modem. We have suggested that clients use the Universal Adapter that was developed for cellphones with our high gain antenna. The adapter covers the voice and data frequencies but has been optimized for the voice frequencies. We have had clients that use it quite successfully with the Huawei modem. You are more than welcome to try it – if it does not work please let us know within 7 days and return the antenna. We will give you a refund (excluding shipping or postage)

Anyone know what the Universal Adapter thing is?

pings will be crap until 2009 when HSUPA is launched which improves both of

1. uplink speeds
    2. latency ...which will drop to c. 100ms ...good dialup latency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Sponge Bob wrote:
    pings will be crap until 2009 when HSUPA is launched which improves both of

1. uplink speeds
    2. latency ...which will drop to c. 100ms ...good dialup latency

Vodafone is making HSUPA available in Germany on the 9th of July 2007, when it will be available in major cities. By Summer 2008, it will be available on their entire German network. Why do we always have to wait years longer here? :confused:

My current latency with Vodafone in Ballyhaunis averages 100-120 milliseconds, though I have seen it as low as 90 on a few occasions. I am guessing there is nobody else on my cell. Latency with 3 is significantly higher for me, generally 140-200. My contract with Vodafone is up though, and since I don't need it for gaming, I have decided to cancel my Vodafone subscription.

Edit: That's when I am not downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭gorgo

anywho back to the web accelerator - from what i can see when you go to websites the the picture quality is reduced......so in theory when ur downloading the site there's less bites as no high resolution pic's........so your saving kb's!!!!

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

the 3 accelerater makes the internet look worse
    i tried to keep it switched on to save bandwidth but if i open a page with firefox it looks much better cause i think the accelerater only works on internet explorer
    takes the fun out of the internet looking at grainy pictures and rough looking text so i perfer to just view the pages in hi quality the way they were intended
    i have a high resolution screen so maybe that makes it worse

I don't know about you guys but i have had my 3 for 14days now. And i have only downloaded and uploaded tops of 2gigs. And i would say its more like 1.5gigs. I don't know what your doing to be worried about hitting the 10gig mark. The only thing i can think about is that your downloading lots and lots of music/movies/demos....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Just don't use P2P file sharing and 10GB is a lot. You'd be hard pressed to go over the limit. Regular browsing and email probably only uses 1GB a month.

Just don't use P2P file sharing and 10GB is a lot. You'd be hard pressed to go over the limit. Regular browsing and email probably only uses 1GB a month.

use the web for just browsing and emailing you gotta be kiddin me:rolleyes: , thats like taking a vow of celibacy ;)

anyway is this 3 accelarator just like onspeed ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

exact same ****,uses compression and other bull**** to make web pages smaller+load faster,it does work to a certain degree but it makes the pages look worse,colours and pictures look washed out and sometimes the text fonts look rougher

Advertisement