Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games you're proudest of finishing

Options
  • 29-06-2007 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Related to that other thread I started, what's the game you're most proud to have finished?

I would have to choose between Day of the Tentacle (it took me about 6 years start to finish, with a break of 70 months in between to give me head peace) or God of War on God mode. Both very different achievements for me, both equally satisfying when I was finally able to put down the controller.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Hidden & Dangerous 1 given the majority of folk think it was too bug ridden :)

Silent Hill 1, because it freaked the s*** out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

The first God of War on God mode. A great example on how to do very hard without infuriating. Unlike GoWar 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

commandos, now that was a true patiance game, but really good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

From a few years back: "Operation Flashpoint"
    Best FPS of its time, hard as hell with only 1 save game per mission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Link's Awakening. I dunno if it'd be as tough playing it now, but I remember it being my Everest back in the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Final Fantasy Tactics. The PS1 game not the smelly GBA one. Probably the toughest game I've ever finished. It required lots of levelling up and unlike many SRPGs it required a hell of a lot of tactics. Once you got about 4/5 of the way through and had Cid on your team it became very easy (he is an absolute monster) but before that there are some really tough battles. The battle at the gallows took me two weeks to get through as well as one of the boss fights.

The only problems I had with the game were two very bad design choices. The first boss is practically unbeatable if you don't have the right equipment and there is a save point before him that doesn't allow you to get back to the shop that sells the item. The next one was the fight against the 3 ninjas were you had to protect an NPC. It was impossible unless you had the right equipment to raise your speed to silly levels since they took their go before any of your characters so you would fail before you even took your go. Thanks to a walkthrough I found you could do it by taking all your equipment off your main character to change the computer AI.

Other than that it was a great game despite being a bollix to beat.

That and Devil May Cry 1 and 3 and Ghouls n' Ghosts, Mercs and Carrier Airwing with 1 credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Kotor1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Ninja Gaiden Black.

And soon it will be Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Finishing Metal Gear Solid on Hard in 'game over when spotted' mode... tough as Hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Rhyme wrote:
    Finishing Metal Gear Solid on Hard in 'game over when spotted' mode... tough as Hell.

Ditto for me...except it was Snake Eater, just because it is so difficult but the most satisfying was FFVII.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Tony Hawk 2, some of the challenges took an absolute age, but it was worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Battle Toads on the snes and the nes (cant remember their names), and 'Super Ghouls and Ghosts'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Quake 3 on Nightmare when I was 11/12, very proud there !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

halo 2 on legendary, vampire - the masqurade bloodlines, and for some reason sonic 1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
    Was really hard to figure out where to hit Robitniks robot at the end without getting hit by all those feckin spikes coming out of it. (the main reason I'm so proud of it was that I could Metal Sonic in less that 25secs, i figured out evrytime you could get a hit in)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Flashback on the Megadrive, sore thumbs later, it was game over. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

final fantasy 7, took my owning the game twice, & a ps1 & a ps2 to finish the game :)

MGS on every difficulty level collecting all the dog tags (i finally unlocked everything but i wasnt arsed playing it anymore)

unlocking the devil car in the first riiiiiiiiiiiiidge racer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ninja Gaiden Black had an unrivalled sense of achievement mainly because my friend kept on telling me I wouldnt get past those annoying flying zombie fish.

I showed him.

And nearly broke my TV / controller / brother in half as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

FF7 - it took me a good long while to finish it and took me a few game restarts also. When i finished it even my da came into me and congratulated me on finishing it :D. Was kinda sad it was over though as i really enjoyed playing it.

Resident Evil 1(ps1) - when i first started playing this back in 97 i was so scared i could barely even make it into other rooms without turning off the console when i heard a zombie moan in the distance. When i finally finished it i was really relieved.

Devil May Cry 3 - It was really fun playing DMC3 and loved every second of it so when i completed it i was naturally chuffed with meself. Still trying to get past the second level on Dante must die mode.....

Half Life 1 - Another Game that took me a long while and some restarts to finish. Excellent

Spike in Transelvania (Commodore 64) - Years ago when we had this on the C64 it was almost impossible to finish. Since my brain was alot more developed mentally so to speak i whipped down the C64 a year ago and completed it :D

Thats all i can think of for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Pyr0 wrote:
    Quake 3 on Nightmare when I was 11/12, very proud there !

Wow. Impressive snake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Halo on co-op legendary:took ages to do the final bit when you are riding the warthog through the pillar of autumn worth it for the secret ending:D :D
    Half Life 2:My save file got deleted when I was half way though the game took me around three months to pluck up the courage to start over again
    Resi 4:I just really enjoyed the game throughout and was completly suprised to how good it was I thought it was going to be rubbish because the amount of hype surrounding it
    KOTOR1:Thought the ending was a bit rubbish but went back and played it again and did all the sidequests I loved the one where you are part of a secret organisation and you have to go around assanating people
    Devil May cry: Jaysus after trying to beat some of the bosses in this I was nearly crying especially that bird who just would not die
    The final boss battle was good but a bit Dragon ball Z ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭killyoutodeath

twilight priness!! lol it was easy but it was quite a long game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

twilight priness!! lol it was easy but it was quite a long game
    Ditto, it took me 3 months to find the time to complete the damn thing. (the TV in this house is pretty much always in use, I have to sneak in a quick game whenever I can)
    I meant to post this in the other thread, that moment when you
    plunge the sword into Ganon's chest
    has to be one of the most satisfying videogame moments ever:)

Flashback is another one as Ruu has already mentioned, even if it only took me a week to complete (I seem to remember limiting myself to only completing one level every day:P)
    Very few games have given me that "who's the man!!!" feeling when you finally clear the last level and get to sit back and enjoy the ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Deus Ex, only took me about 8 years. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The original Splinter Cell, simply because I got stuck on that CIA level for nearly a month.

Add to that Ninja Gaiden, GRAW, Rainbow Six Vegas on Realistic difficulty, Operation Flashpoint and Oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

Shadowrun on the SNES. Cool game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The first game I ever finished was Ikari Warriors on the Amiga. Oh, but didn't I feel like the bee's knees at the age of 12(ish).

Alien v Predator was so very damned hard you couldn't help but be proud of finishing it.

Half Life series has always been satisfying to finish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Wow. Impressive snake.

It was p1ss easy until Zero at the end, 50 tries to get him. I screamed a lot that day !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Wow. Impressive snake.

It was p1ss easy until Zero at the end, 50 tries to get him. I screamed a lot that day !

Advertisement