Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games you're proudest of finishing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭StewieGriffin07

Futurama on the xbox, Cause everyone said it was too hard, And Mafia, just because it was a brilliant game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Erm.. The Metal Gear Soild's on not being seen once mode.

Final Fantasy 7, getting all the cool items, etc...

GTA 3 since I was the only one to finish it out of all my mates for ages. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Zelda : OOT
    Beating Goldeneye on 007 mode and passing all the time trials etc... to get all the cheats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

twilight priness!! lol it was easy but it was quite a long game

Indeed. I was proud of myself because I decided to attempt to complete it in a week. It took upwards of 6 hours gaming a day, but when on the final day I got to stick it to Ganon, I was quite proud.

And then out I went and got some fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Zelda : OOT
    Beating Goldeneye on 007 mode and passing all the time trials etc... to get all the cheats.

I just couldnt do the Control level on double agent in ten minutes without that bitch Natalia getting shot hacking the computer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Yeah I completed all the SHs except that fourth one. :mad:

Was a good feeling completing the first one though because I went back to it after I had played the others and finally got the whole through it. Was a fair old slog alright, particularly that feckin hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Ninja Gaiden Black had an unrivalled sense of achievement mainly because my friend kept on telling me I wouldnt get past those annoying flying zombie fish.

I showed him.

And nearly broke my TV / controller / brother in half as a result.
    Zombiefish were very annoying but what got me were the brown ninjas with exploding shurikens. Had me rolling and jumping all about the place! Nearly smashed everything in my immediate vicinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Space Hawks took me a good while to beat, very proud of it, i think I have the highest every score on that game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Senshu

Hmm.. it has to be Battletoads and Double Dragon on NES, it was so hard...
    Other than that Vagrant Story on psx is worth mentioning, I had some hard times there as without decent weapon, and what is more - good chain abilities finnishing the game is pretty close to impossible. I find FFT as someone mentioned lot easier (but still hard) as VS because you can level up on almost every occasion and get your characters new classes to learn them new stuff.

PS Hi to everyone I'm new to these boards, and new to Ireland as well. Finally I found a msg board that reunites gamers from this country, I hope to get to know to some oldshool gamers and Japanese culture fans if they are here ~.~

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Probably Vagrant Story, that game was something else.

In hindsight I am surprised how far I managed to get without really figuring out the game dynamics. It wasn't until I came across a fire elemental that I suddenly hit the wall and needed to starting thinking.

Magnificent game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Senshu wrote:
    Other than that Vagrant Story on psx is worth mentioning, I had some hard times there as without decent weapon, and what is more - good chain abilities finnishing the game is pretty close to impossible. I find FFT as someone mentioned lot easier (but still hard) as VS because you can level up on almost every occasion and get your characters new classes to learn them new stuff.

But the levelling up was so boring! Found Vagrant Story a bit tough as well. I was really good at chaining so could easily chain 30+ hits together so was capable of great damage. However i never realised how important risk was and kept running my risk to ridiculous figures. Didn't understand the mechanics of that game either until near the end :)

as for the zombie fish in ninja gaiden, that was easy, just equip the nunchuks and take it slowly, even if you get hit you more than likely get your health back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Another World on the SNES.

Infuriating at times but not so much that it wasn't fun to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Retr0gamer wrote:
    as for the zombie fish in ninja gaiden, that was easy, just equip the nunchuks and take it slowly, even if you get hit you more than likely get your health back.

I've long known that NG was hard as coffin nails, but I didn't know it had zombie fish...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

I remember I got to the last part of Final Fantasy 8 when it first came out and just couldnt crack the last boss (the way theres about four battles in a row, I couldnt get past the first one!). Left it for ages...

Final Fantasy 9 comes out and some lads started giving me stick I couldnt play 9 til I beat 8 so bought the game, took it home and put it on the shelf. Whipped out 8 and set to work on that last boss.

Finished it on my first try. the adrenaline and joy was unbelievable.

Then 9 wasnt great...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Remember the last boss of FFVIII well because the first time I got to him I was very underpowered. Had to give myself a load of decent status effects and triple meteor him until he died. Was a total pain because the meteor spell had such a long animation. Took the best part of 2 hours to beat.

Thought FFVIII was a bit **** and FFIX was brilliant.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Quite proud of finishing final fantasy viii, ix and x. i have vii for the pc and started it last year and still haven't finished it yet. I've out it on the back boiler for a while but some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I enjoyed finishing 7 :D...i remember going mental trying to kill Emeral and Ruby Weapons though :o....spent a good extra 15 hours levelling up the correct materia and stuff

But 8 was easy for me as i had figured outa great way to lvl up and at the end every character was on Lvl100 and you could trade in your rare Triple Triad Cards for 100 Heroes etc, so the last battle lasted about 10 mins:p

Dunno how yous have the will and patience to replay a game on God mode :o...must been hella tough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

I prefer 9 to 8 anyway. 8 was depressing of what I remember of it. I plan on playing them again this summer after years to refresh my memory of them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Final Fantasy 1 of course!
    9 is my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

There are tonnes I'd say I got satisfaction from finishing, but I don't think most of them made me proud as such. A few that did were

Freddy Hardest(c64) - Obscure budget game, notable only for being the first game I ever finished.
    Rainbow Islands(c64) - Normal and special endings, excellent game, just kept coming back to it.
    Turrican(c64) - Especially after that fourth world, the confusing Geiger-rip-off one
    Probotector(NES) - Finished it in two player, but still hard going.
    Secret of Mana(SNES) - Not really that difficult, but the first really epically long RPG that I finished(70+ hours the first time through)
    R-Type 3(SNES) - Well, I got past the last level, but it went back to level one again, and I didn't have enough lives to finish it twice. Still felt proud of mtself though.
    Mario64(N64) - Not so much finishing it as getting all the stars.
    Duke Nukem3D(PC) - Highly enjoyable final battle really made finishing it seem like an achievement.
    Fire Emblem(GBA) - The lack of mid-battle saves and any means of reviving dead caracters made this incredibly frustrating, especially when you're trying for no fatalities, but by God did it feel great when you won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Final Fantasy VIII, I loved every minute of that game.

Resident Evil 2 and completing all scenarios with a grade A.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I completed every race in Gran Turismo 1-2 and 3 and had all licences including Special A Licence in 3 :rolleyes:

Doing Laguna Seca in that Toyata GT1 was a nightmare :p

Never got the 100% though as i couldnt get gold on a few of the Licences:(

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Super Mario World (SNES). Finishing the game was easy enough, but to get all 96 levels (doing Star World) was damn hard. I remember taking HOURS to get through those 12 extra levels.

Creatures on the C64. If you didn't have the right power-up, you couldn't finish the last Torture Screen in time. Even then, you had to absolutely hammer the firebutton to finish in time. :)

Citadel on the C64. Hard as nails and very strategic. When you finished, it looped to a harder version!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

SeantheMan wrote:
    I completed every race in Gran Turismo 1-2 and 3 and had all licences including Special A Licence in 3 :rolleyes:

Doing Laguna Seca in that Toyata GT1 was a nightmare :p

Never got the 100% though as i couldnt get gold on a few of the Licences:(

When i finally got the special A licence in 3!! I never thought i was going to get the time in Monte Carlo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

For me it's Sabatour on the Spectrum 48k (man, I loved that machine). And after that, I was proud, yet sad when I finished Ultima 7, because I wanted it to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

From a few years back: "Operation Flashpoint"
    Best FPS of its time, hard as hell with only 1 save game per mission.

God, that reminds me, never finished the last mission.

Must dig it out next weekend, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Probably Ninja Gaiden on hardest difficulty. Honourable mention for Halo 2 solo on legendary. Much tougher than the first.

Those fish in Ninja Gaiden, if I remember right you can just keep jumping along while doing a sword attack in the air and they won't touch you. You also obliterate them all and get health blah, blah, blah doing it. That's if I'm reembering this right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Completing the Staff Of Karnath on C64. It took myself and my brother a number of months working out how to get the various pieces of the staff, but we did finish it and the 3 sequels, Entombed, Blackwyche and the rather crap DragonSkulle.

staffofkarnathanim1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Amstrad CPC:
    Target Renegade - The amount of times the last boss shook me to death!
    Wonder Boy - This game took forever, but i loved the arcade version
    Barbarian - The last couple of guys were tricky to say the least.
    Any of the Dizzy platform games, kept one busy for a long time.

Sega Master System:
    Super Wonder Boy in Monster Land - again cos i was such a fan of the arcade version

Sega Megadrive:
    Fantastic Dizzy - Took all the best bits out of each of the 8bit games and then added some.

N64:
    WWF No Mercy - Playing that in career mode as well as unlocking everything. Great way to occupy time.

PS2:
    Grand Theft Auto - Liberty City Stories. Such a sucker for the GTA series

XBOX 1:
    Grand Theft Auto - Vice City as it was the only one at the time i could do without a cheat.
    Rocky Legends on expert - left me with very sore thumbs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Arcade
    Wonderboy in Monsterland
    Black Tiger
    used to clear both every time...
    Spekkie
    Loved SabreWulf, didn't quite get to clear ManicMiner which was always a bit of a bind

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement