Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this work??

Options
  • 29-06-2007 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hey Guys,
    I have a question, work have provided me with broadband in my house, but the problem is that they have configured the wireless router restrict access to the MAC address of my work laptop. They also have not given me the PW to the routers Admin so I can 'fiddle' with it.

So could I get a wireless router and connect it directly to the modem and configure my wireless network that way? If I can, then I can get rid of my current BB provider!

Thanks
    Guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They have done that so that your neighbour can't use your BB.

Have you more than one PC? Why do you want a different provider if work has provided BB?

A new BB may provide a new modem/Wifi combo anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

i dont think you can limit access to LAN ports on routers to MAC addresses, in which case, connect up whatever you want via cable.

If its just a modem that it is, which is locked to your laptop mac address, then get any wireless router you want, and set the router to clone your Laptop Mac Address to its WAN port, and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Well, you can but not on any consumer router, on them it's just the WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

the reset button on the back? ;)

this will set the router back to default settings, then you can access the config pages with the default user/pass

(just make sure you have the username & password for the service itself if it's dsl)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

the-ging wrote:
    Hey Guys,
    I have a question, work have provided me with broadband in my house, but the problem is that they have configured the wireless router restrict access to the MAC address of my work laptop. They also have not given me the PW to the routers Admin so I can 'fiddle' with it.

So could I get a wireless router and connect it directly to the modem and configure my wireless network that way? If I can, then I can get rid of my current BB provider!

Thanks
    Guys

Have your employers laid down any conditions in relation to the provision of bb in your home? If they have you may breach them by 'fiddling' with settings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Do you have two seperate BB connections - one from work and one for personal use?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

Yes I had broadband and instead of work paying for my current connection they put a new line into my house and provided me with a new connection. And if I can get it to work with my laptop and Xbox I will get rid of the BB i am paying for.

Well I'll try and hook up a wireless router to the modem and see if I can configure everything that way. Fingers crossed it'll work!

Thanks for all the advice!

Advertisement