Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Journey back in the charts

• 29-06-2007 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Journey's smash hit from 1981, Don't Stop Believin', is back in the Irish charts after Today FM discjockey Ray Foley's successful campaign to persuade listeners to download it from iTunes. The song topped the iTunes Download chart for this week and achieved an overall chart position of 14!

Fair play to Foley for the idea of resurrecting brilliant songs that we had all forgotten about. What oldie should he ask people to download next?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

It was also in a Family guy episode and a scrubs episode.

And...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Christ, the charts are going to be influenced by DJs retro tastes! How about a campaign to get "Anarchy in the UK" to number 1!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I don't like the idea of someone like Foley having any sort of influence...

But it's a good song though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I don't like the idea of someone like Foley having any sort of influence...
    You don't like the idea of a DJ on National Radio having any influence on what music is bought? Really? Is that not what DJs do/have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It just seems like another spammy campaign.

By all means it's good for a DJ to play some decent music from the past and hopefully turn some younger people on to it.

But telling people go out and buy it just to chart the thing seems a bit off to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Funnily enough, I spotted that Journey song in the iTunes chart about 2 weeks ago.....it was included on Clare FM's RetroFile that weekend, because of that, and someone texted in to say that it was popular again because it was used in The Sopranos.

I'm not saying that Foley had no influence in getting it up to the top (it was around #60 or 70 at the time) but I did laugh when he was on about getting it into the charts.....just that it'd be a bit more honest to say "it's in the charts, let's see if we can get it into the top ten".

And it's definitely an improvement on having Rihanna's desperate "Umbrella, ella, ella, ella" rubbish at the top.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I love Dont Stop Believin' so I didnt mind hearing it being played on the radio, as opposed to Umbrella-ella-ella-ella-ella ad nauseum. Its disturbing how easily lead people are because of what some "cool DJ" says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I think the fact that it plays a pivotal role in the sopranos finale is why it's popular again, not because of Ray Foley.
    Infact, I'm positive of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I think the fact that it plays a pivotal role in the sopranos finale is why it's popular again, not because of Ray Foley.
    Infact, I'm positive of it.

Well the Sopranos finale hasn't actually aired here yet so most havn't seen it. After the finale the song (which is great by the way! :D) was at 96. Foley started the campaign if you want to call it that,on Monday,and the song went from 96 to 53 to 16 to 2 and has now knocked that terrible Umbrella rubbish off the top. Fair play to Ray! Even if you are not a fan of the song (blasphemy!) you have to admit it is better to have ti at the top than that God-awful Rihanna song!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

just a small town girl , living in a lonely world, took a midnight train going an-y-where

get that to number 1,and the state of the charts is excellant1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Agreed. Superb song indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Great song and Foley is a great DJ but all you musical snobs are afraid to admit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Fair play to Foley for the idea of resurrecting brilliant songs that we had all forgotten about. What oldie should he ask people to download next?

Any chance he'd show his support for local bands by asking people to download something by an up-and-coming IRISH band and getting THEM into the charts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Steve Perry is a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Bard wrote:
    Any chance he'd show his support for local bands by asking people to download something by an up-and-coming IRISH band and getting THEM into the charts?

Are they as good as Journey?? Of course not! Pfft! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Are WHO as good as Journey exactly?

All I'm saying is I'm sure there are plenty of young Irish acts who are more worthy of the support of the music buying public here than a 36 year old American rock band. Still cool to see them back in the charts and gave me a good excuse to play them on a show myself the other day!
    mike65 wrote:
    Christ, the charts are going to be influenced by DJs retro tastes! How about a campaign to get "Anarchy in the UK" to number 1!

Ah c'mon, if you're getting a Pistols song back into the charts, why not go for 'Pretty Vacant'? ;)

Advertisement