Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless access point distance

Options
  • 29-06-2007 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

Looking for the best solution to connect house 80m away form office. Currently have broadband access in office and looking at patching in a wireless access point.

Anyone have suggestion of a robust, reliable model ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 karlrules

I hope your not saying you want to hook up to a wireless network 80 feet away from you because if you are in my experience its impossible or slightly possible with a low connection speed. Im not an expert so don't listen to me 100 %

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

80metres is 240 feet, possible with certain routers that operate on a higher GHZ signal but they are not cheap.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

your most satisfactory option would be running an ethernet cable the 80M.
    Cheaper and much more reliable than trying to send a wireless signal that distance. You could get a long lengths of cable like that in a place like maplin or you could get someone in to do it for you as a nixer.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

i tried same thing for around same distance with ordinary wifi card and
    NETGEAR router signals was very poor and most of time depend or air flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Some odd replies to this!

80M should be no problem at all with a basic access point and high gains atenna. Depending on your budget you could go all the way to a decent node for may client connection up to 60Km away with good LOS :D .

Cheap and cheerful solution: Get a Linksys box anywhere and get a directional 12Dbi atenna and point it towards your house. You can do this from indoors if you are really limited. If you want to make it a lot more stable you can get variuos components and build the kit yourself, then mount it on the roof on the building pointing to where you want.

It can be done and it can be done many ways. Just a matter of how much money and time you are willing to put in to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭GP

azzeretti wrote:
    Some odd replies to this!

80M should be no problem at all with a basic access point and high gains atenna. Depending on your budget you could go all the way to a decent node for may client connection up to 60Km away with good LOS :D .

Cheap and cheerful solution: Get a Linksys box anywhere and get a directional 12Dbi atenna and point it towards your house. You can do this from indoors if you are really limited. If you want to make it a lot more stable you can get variuos components and build the kit yourself, then mount it on the roof on the building pointing to where you want.

It can be done and it can be done many ways. Just a matter of how much money and time you are willing to put in to it.

Ditto on the weird posts . If it were not possible there woudln't be any wireless providers :rolleyes:

Anyway looks like i'm going to get t wireless access points. One for office one for house and 2 x these babies
    tewoa14dk_large.jpg

Hook up one wireless access point to current hub and point office antenna to house antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Ive had a similar setup, probably about 500 metres for over two years. I use a wrt54g on one end and a cheap motorola wr850g router on the other and its still going strong, touch wood.

And For people who say 80m cant be done, check out this guy http://www.gizmag.com/go/7483/

Advertisement