Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Do You Like Your Steak

• 29-06-2007 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

So here I am in work with a half hour to go and no will to do any work at all. I'm giving herself the evening off and we're heading out for a meal. So naturally, I'll be having the biggest steak on the menu. And it better be cooked right - nice and rare. I don't even let herself fry up the steak at home as I'm fussy about it being rare. I like it to be still blood red in the centre with lots of juicy pink meat.

So, out of boredom, it crossed my mind as to how the BGRH brotherhood like their steaks..........................hence the poll.

Vote away.

How Do You Like Your Steak 122 votes

Blue
    0% 0 votes
    Rare
    6% 8 votes
    Medium - Rare
    11% 14 votes
    Medium
    33% 41 votes
    Medium - Well Done
    19% 24 votes
    Well Done
    15% 19 votes
    Burnt
    9% 12 votes
    I'm a vegitarian and wish to banned from this forum
    3% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Burnt.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Burnt.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Medium to Medium-Well Done. Don't like it half-raw but don't want it cremated either. ;):D

Cooked a lovely T-bone and a big pile of chips there yesterday evening for the tea. Mmmm, now I'm getting hungry for one again this evening and I don't have one! :(

Then again, I'm of the opinion that a nice steak is something you should only have once in a while. Makes you appreciate it all the more. If you eat steak too much it seems to take away, I don't know, the "special-ness" and "enjoyability" of it, if you understand what I'm saying. Who agrees with me?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Then again, I'm of the opinion that a nice steak is something you should only have once in a while. Makes you appreciate it all the more. If you eat steak too much it seems to take away, I don't know, the "special-ness" and "enjoyability" of it, if you understand what I'm saying. Who agrees with me?

You're in the wrong forum for that sort of hippie talk! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

My gut says otherwise, brother zaph! ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

medium-rare. when it's nice and cooled, but retains that lovely redish colour. nyum. I'm going to a barbie tonight, hope ther's some steak there as this thread has made me hungry *rumble* [pats stomach] patience, my pet [/pats stomach]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Medium-well done. I dont want to see any red mess on my plate. Rare is for the cannible lecter type who enjoys the taste of the blood.
    Plus I like plenty of fryed onion with it as well.

*gut growls*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Just wipe its ass and stick it on a plate. I'm shocked that there's anything beyond 'medium-rare' listed. What a bunch of pansies.

Oh yes, and make it ribeye steak aka cote de boeuf. None of this over-priced fat-free filet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

there must be blood on the plate when im done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Depends on what kind of steak. Sirloin - cremated (or at least very well done, so the fat is crispy and sizzeling). Fillet steak - medium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I get my steak medium, I've realised that I like the idea of steak more than the reality, there is just too much work and chewing involved :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Medium rare. Somedays rare, depending on my mood.

As long as the outside is seared and the inside isn't stone cold, I'm happy. I love steak.

To anyone who eats steak "burnt" - I say - why bother? Steak gets dry and tough when overcooked. If you really don't like meat with pink or red in the centre, then try something else.

The-Rigger wrote:
    I get my steak medium, I've realised that I like the idea of steak more than the reality, there is just too much work and chewing involved :p
    buy better steak. Its only chewy if overcooked or full of gristle.

Preusse wrote:
    Depends on what kind of steak. Sirloin - cremated (or at least very well done, so the fat is crispy and sizzeling). Fillet steak - medium.
    cook the sirloin to medium then with a kitchen tongs grab the steak and turn it on its side so only the fat is touching the pan. Render it down to your liking. Get the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

best steak I have ever had was in the stock yards in fort worth in texas

I get fillet medium and get the others medium well. I find it depends on the place aswell some places do it arse ways.

Was in a so called steak house the other day and the woman got a fillet (got the 20oz porterhouse myself) she asked for the fillet medium-well and it came back burnt. Medium-well has a hint of pink left in it but hers was brown all the way through. Her steak lads

ended up eating most of hers anyway, god bless women with small stomachs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    cook the sirloin to medium then with a kitchen tongs grab the steak and turn it on its side so only the fat is touching the pan. Render it down to your liking. Get the best of both worlds.

Good idea. Also did that a couple of times with pork chops with a big fatty border. Why cut it of? It's nice! :D When I was studying in Berlin there was a huge supermarket with a hot food bar across my appartment. They had different kind sof roasted meats but the best was the crackling. They actually took huge chunks of it off the meat and you could get as much as you wanted for free as it was seen as waste! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Blue - I want it to moo when I stick the fork in! :D

Vegeta wrote:
    best steak I have ever had was in the stock yards in fort worth in texas
    Steaks seem much better in the US but bear in mind that growth promoters are legal there (and in many other countries).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Blue - I want it to moo when I stick the fork in! :D

Damn you, I wanted to say that :(

although I'm a big fan of medium rare, it should really wobble when you try to cut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

crosstownk wrote:
    And it better be cooked right

Damn right, brother crosstownk!

I like my fillet steak rare. As in rare. This should be a plain and simple command easily understood and executed by even the most junior staff in the kitchen. Unfortunately, there are cultural differences deviating from the international standard of the levels of cooking of said fillet steak

There is barely a restaurant in this country that complies with this international standard. The vast majority of places will cook your steak two, three or more steps more done than you've ordered. Order rare and you get well done :(

I could rant about the level of cooking of a fillet steak and my experiences over the years in this country, but I won't

It has worked reasonably well for me to resorting to this simple practice. When ordering a rare fillet steak, I explain exactly how I want my fillet steak cooked. And most importantly, that if it arrives on my plate, not cooked to my required level, that it will be sent back

This has worked quite well for me brothers, although sending a meal back regularly will always be a lose-lose situation for everyone :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i like it burnt to a crisp, like a bullit. im a chef and i know i should never ask for a well done steak because all chefs (including myself) keep the worst cuts of fillet and the cheapest cuts of sirlion for the people who order 'well done' because its cooked so well people wont notice the vast drop in quality. a word of advice would be to always order medium-well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

to be honest, anything over medium rare is waste. protein denatured, steak taste ruined, you're ordering rubber.

if its good quality meat, a toasting on the outside will do fine. cool and raw in the center, eat it like a man, not like some bitch afraid of catching something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I like it medium rare. I prefer it blue but everyone I eat with gets disgusted by my red potatoes. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

scojones wrote:
    I like it medium rare. I prefer it blue but everyone I eat with gets disgusted by my red potatoes. :)

Same as, they look at ya like you've just ordered a puppy to eat when you ask for rare.

scojones wrote:
    I prefer it blue but everyone I eat with gets disgusted by my red potatoes. :)
    I usually ask the rest of the table if they would like to dip their chips in my blood! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

scojones wrote:

You are far too considerate for wimmen folks' feelings to be posting on this forum, brother :)

I enjoy sharing my smug delight of having my steak cooked to perfection with all the others - especially with the people that like their steak well done - by showing them the rare meat in the middle and the blood dripping out of it :D

I like 'em medium rare, but the missus likes it "cremated", I should give 'er a lump of charcol next time.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Have the cow look at the oven in terror, then bring it to me.
    Anything else is a waste.

Also, hello all.

Have the cow look at the oven in terror, then bring it to me
    Tut, tut thelordofcheese - as the brothers will know, good steak comes from bullocks and heifers but rarely from a cow. ;)

Cows are there to provide calves and milk and only get the chop when they are old and tough! :eek:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Rare. Sometimes I have to ask for blue or medium-rare to get it rare, as it depends on the place.

I've had blue the odd time but haven't really enjoyed it. Cold steak != the win.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Medium rare, but it has to be good quality meat.

I had a "big chop" in Barcalona once, and it was so thick I had to send it back for more cooking. Twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Brothers, you have to try kid goat (Cabrito). I had the pleasure of devouring this in Monterrey, Mexico. So greasy and succulent that it would bring tears to your eyes.

I note that there 2 veggies have voted - a pity I didn't opt for a public poll - name and shame and all that :D.

Rare all the way for me. I'd actually prefer blue, but here in Ireland, as brother unkel said, the amount of times I order rare and it comes medium is incredible - so if I ordered blue God knows what I'd get! It's simple. I'm not a chef and I get it right every time. Lately I've become a grumpy old b0llix and have sent it back - I'm not happy if I've no blood seeping out as I dig in.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

My mother always cooks the hell out of everything, so I always used to have it well done done. The last few years though I am more of a medium man. Gradually working backwards it seems, but I can't currently fathom the idea of eating steak that had a 10 second relationship with the thing it was cooked on.

I too, like my steak rare. They always do it right for me in Captain Americas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

My old man cooked steak till burnt, then put a sauspanlid over the pan to further cook it untill stiff and black like jerky. Different but loverly!!
    Only for really bad quality steak..

Had horse in Italy not so long ago,
    They said it had been cooked but if it met a pan there was no heat under it!!!
    Very sweet tasting meat, wierd.

As a sidebar, in USA chili on yer fries comes with actual fall apart in yer mouth beef cutlets! Not the usual dubious mince product.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

crosstownk wrote:
    Brothers, you have to try kid goat (Cabrito). I had the pleasure of devouring this in Monterrey, Mexico. So greasy and succulent that it would bring tears to your eyes.

Hubba hubba mmmmmm, kid goat, even more tender than lamb or veal, and soooo tasty!
    /drools

As for original topic, medium-rare at the most, anything more and its a waste of a good steak. I want to see blood on my plate, blood I tells ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Why was tartare left off the options?

OK - so its wimmin's work to actually prepare the thing...but raw steak is hard to top.
    I can't currently fathom the idea of eating steak that had a 10 second relationship with the thing it was cooked on.
    Good-quality, well-hung (phwoar) beef doesn't need more.

Needs a flame-based grill, though, in my opinion. Preferably wood/charcoal (what the iggerant often call a BBQ), rather than the pansy-assed gas variety.

i like it burnt to a crisp, like a bullit. im a chef and i know i should never ask for a well done steak because all chefs (including myself) keep the worst cuts of fillet and the cheapest cuts of sirlion for the people who order 'well done' because its cooked so well people wont notice the vast drop in quality. a word of advice would be to always order medium-well
    where do you work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Tut, tut thelordofcheese - as the brothers will know, good steak comes from bullocks and heifers but rarely from a cow. ;)

Cows are there to provide calves and milk and only get the chop when they are old and tough! :eek:

you'd think i'd know that with my grandfather having been a butcher....

*hangs head in shame*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭trout

I lived in Texas for 9 months ... where I encounted the Big Texan Steak Ranch ... possibly the finest steak emporium I have ever visited.

They do a challenge, like Spur in Liffey Valley ... except with a 72 Ounce steak ... that's 4 and a half pounds of red meat ... and you get it free if you can eat it all in under an hour. And they mean ALL!

Apparently 1 in 10 people who try it on actually eat it all.
    It gives me a small amount of pleasure to announce that I am a 1 in 10 :) I ate it all, side salad and everything. Had cookie's and cream cheese cake for dessert ... nyom nyom nyom.

Turns out, you can watch people attempt to guzzle steaks bigger than their heads live on d'Internet ... linkeh http://www.bigtexan.com/popup_live.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Hmm steak, with a blob of peppersauce :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭trout

I lived in Texas for 9 months ... where I encounted the Big Texan Steak Ranch ... possibly the finest steak emporium I have ever visited.

They do a challenge, like the Spur place in Liffey Valley ... except with a 72 Ounce steak ... that's 4 and a half pounds of red meat ... and you get it free if you can eat it all in under an hour... apparently 1 in 10 people who try it on actually eat it all. It gives me a small amount of pleasure to announce that I am a 1 in 10 :)

Turns out, you can watch people attempt to guzzle steaks bigger than their heads live on d'Internet ... linkeh http://www.bigtexan.com/popup_live.htm

Honourable mention for The Traildust, in Dallas ... where you can order a 50 ounce steak called "The Bullshipper" ... this place has a slide on the second floor, which is a lot of fun when you are full of beer and undigested red meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

hmmm well done tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

unkel wrote:
    Unfortunately, there are cultural differences deviating from the international standard of the levels of cooking of said fillet steak

There is barely a restaurant in this country that complies with this international standard. The vast majority of places will cook your steak two, three or more steps more done than you've ordered. Order rare and you get well done :(

I could rant about the level of cooking of a fillet steak and my experiences over the years in this country.

Amen. I always order rare in Ireland but they would be just as well off not asking me at all as it seems to be a lottery as to how it ends up cooked. Always rare, bloody delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Years ago, it was always very well done, but now, i like it pink in the middle but not bloody.A Pepper Brandy Sauce and a bottle of Amarone makes it perfect.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

m/rare
    i've noticed in one place i eat regulary,
    when you order a starter and the steak come out over done, but in the same restaurant, you dont order a starter and it comes out perfect.
    can they not just wait 10 minutes before putting it on the pan???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    where do you work?

in a pub on the southside of dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

MikeHoncho wrote:
    Deep fried in batter in a bun.

batter burger?

isnt that pork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Deep fried in batter in a bun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

If you're in lanzarote,there's aplace near teh harbour called Dolve Vite Due which do a 32 oz steak for 14 quid..ye gods its magnificent!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What about that most American of coronary busting food?

Brothers - The Chicken Fried Steak!

chicksteak03.jpg

A variety of recipes for chicken fried steak and country fried steak
    Chicken-fried or country-fried steak is usually made with round steak, tenderized then dipped in an egg and milk mixture, then dredged in seasoned flour or bread crumbs. The coated steak is then fried in hot fat until the coating is crispy and browned, much like fried chicken. A milk gravy is often made to be served with the steak, along with mashed potatoes.

Country fried steak can also be made by coating the tenderized steaks with seasoned flour or crumbs. Smothered steak, another version, is fried then simmered in gravy, which makes a tougher cut of meat even more tender.

According to The Dictionary of American Food and Drink by John Mariani, the term "chicken-fried steak" first appeared in print in the year 1952. It has long been a favorite dish in the South, Midwest, and Southwest United States.

• Advertisement
Advertisement