Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it safe to cut hedges now?

Options
  • 29-06-2007 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Have a 'wild' - as in natural hedge adjacent to my property and was thinking of doing a bit of trimming to it but am afraid some birds may still be nesting so not sure if its a good idea.

Might wait for its rich crop of blackberries but wanted to know anyway. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nope leave it till August, I have a large prickly bush in my back garden and its a hive of bird life right now.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

you also need to be aware of the possibility of cats having kittens in under hedges - I have heard of some horrific accidents when people simply did not know that there might be kittens there....

as far as I know from a gardening point of view, I have been told that Autumn is the best time to do it anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Laura~

I saw Kildare Co. Council out cutting hedges on the Athgarvan Road last weekend with a huge official orange and black sign on the road saying "Hedge Cutting in progress". Only 2 or 3 days earlier I was listening to Kildare FM saying that it was illegal to cut hedges until the autumn on their gardening program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

County Councils always do it around this time and yes it is illegal but then perhaps they co co are looking at it in a safety perspective where the hedge is infringing sight of oncoming traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

if it is a wild hedge and needs to be cut with a big machine i.e. a tractor, it can only be cut beteen 1st oct and 31st march

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

yeah, there are two laws relating to cutting hedges. one is you cannot cut hedges during the summer/nesting season. The other, allows cc's to cut hedges if there's a health and safety concern, e.g. country roads etc.

Advertisement